Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-23-2009, 06:27 PM   #46
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RaduA Quote
Hate to burst YOUR bubble but what you scaled up was actually a 1:1 crop so your final result has nothing to do with whatever this lens can do.

Radu
Hate to burst YOUR bubble, but what I scaled up was the shot in the original posting labelled f/5.6, i.e., the shot prior to the one labelled 100% crop.

I scaled and cropped the following image, which was NOT labelled 100% crop:

Last edited by asdf; 04-23-2009 at 06:34 PM.
04-24-2009, 02:19 AM   #47

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by asdf Quote
Hate to burst YOUR bubble, but what I scaled up was the shot in the original posting labelled f/5.6, i.e., the shot prior to the one labelled 100% crop.

But You made your crop not from original, but from photo upscaled from this one. And such crop (made not from original) in regards to quality means nothing...
04-24-2009, 02:37 AM   #48
RaduA

I don't think you understood me. On the German forum there was the original picture scaled down and a 100% crop from the 14Mp picture. You basically scaled up the reduced version of the original in order to extract a crop that was already there.

Radu

Last edited by RaduA; 04-24-2009 at 02:39 AM. Reason: removed the picture from the quoted message
04-24-2009, 03:37 AM   #49
Veteran Member

Seems like an exciting lens to get.

Thanks for the images.

04-24-2009, 01:26 PM   #50
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
It should be affordable around X-mas with the new camera. I can wait till then.
04-24-2009, 04:04 PM   #51
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RaduA Quote
I don't think you understood me. On the German forum there was the original picture scaled down and a 100% crop from the 14Mp picture. You basically scaled up the reduced version of the original in order to extract a crop that was already there.

Radu
My point is that the "100% crop" in the original post is most likely NOT a 100% crop. If it were a 100% crop, his face would appear larger and I showed that with the crop of the upscaled image. Read my original response. Do YOU understand now?

Last edited by asdf; 04-24-2009 at 04:11 PM.
04-24-2009, 04:04 PM   #52
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Roberts Quote
But You made your crop not from original, but from photo upscaled from this one. And such crop (made not from original) in regards to quality means nothing...
My only point is that the supposed "100% crop" is not a 100% crop. I said nothing about the quality of anything. OK?

04-24-2009, 04:13 PM   #53
Veteran Member

Original Poster
My point is that the "100% crop" in the original post is most likely NOT a 100% crop. If it were a 100% crop, his face would appear larger and I showed that with the crop of the upscaled image. Read my original response. Do you understand now?
My only point is that the supposed "100% crop" is not a 100% crop. I said nothing about the quality of anything. OK?
Relax guys,

I'll feel bad if you guys ended up fighting about this.
As whether that f/5.6 is a full size picture or not, I have no idea.
I'm just conveying the info from other forums.

So all of you could be right!

Please just enjoy this thread instead of arguing since the photos I posted are also already resized anyway.
04-24-2009, 04:43 PM   #54
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by HermanLee Quote
Relax guys,

I'll feel bad if you guys ended up fighting about this.
As whether that f/5.6 is a full size picture or not, I have no idea.
I'm just conveying the info from other forums.

So all of you could be right!

Please just enjoy this thread instead of arguing since the photos I posted are also already resized anyway.
BTW, I thought it was obvious that I was not knocking the lens, but simply doubting the label given to one of the images. The other two posters didn't seem to understand my intention, or I didn't make it clear enough.
04-25-2009, 11:01 AM   #55
Veteran Member

No no no,

FULL sized sampled

ok I'll stop pestering and go shoot this fashion show with my 50-135
04-26-2009, 02:18 AM   #56
Veteran Member

I've been waiting for this lens and even though I knew it was coming out this month, I decided to pick up a K20D first. I love the focal length of the lens for motorsports and I'll definitely have to pick this up soon. Although I could pick up a Tamron or Sigma 70-200, I've fallen in love with the DA*s I think f/4 is plenty fast (no problems with my DA*300) but I really wish it was internal zoom
04-26-2009, 04:02 AM   #57
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

the Image quality seems favourably comparable to the sigma 100-300mm f/4 APO EX DG. I took a look at the information on the lens and it seems Pentax developed the lens to be a well corrected apochromatic design, hats off for Pentax.I will be most interested in seeing if this lens is capable of being used on full frame film cameras, which the sigma can certainly do and it has been my workhorse lens for a while now. I have noticed the Pentax telezoom isn't an internally zooming design which i'm sure will create an additional headache for hand held users. I wonder if Pentax included a lock to prevent lens creep when it is being stored in a bag...

top image Pentax SMC-DA 60-250mm f/4 ED
Bottom image Sigma 100-300mm f/4 APO EX DG

Last edited by Digitalis; 04-26-2009 at 04:15 AM.
04-26-2009, 07:32 AM   #58
Veteran Member

I was originally quite turned off with the lack of internal zooming but it made the lens much more compact. The optics look quite promising, and if the zooming action is really smooth then I'm okay with the lack of internal zoom
04-26-2009, 09:23 AM   #59
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
A good review and pictures of the lens can be seen here also.
Camera Labs :: View topic - Pentax DA* 60-250mm f/4 ED (IF) SDM User Review
04-26-2009, 09:53 AM   #60
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by soccerjoe5 Quote
I was originally quite turned off with the lack of internal zooming but it made the lens much more compact. The optics look quite promising, and if the zooming action is really smooth then I'm okay with the lack of internal zoom
QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
I have noticed the Pentax telezoom isn't an internally zooming design which i'm sure will create an additional headache for hand held users. I wonder if Pentax included a lock to prevent lens creep when it is being stored in a bag...
I wonder if this lack of internal zooming compromises the weathersealing of the lens any? Say you have it zoomed out to 250mm and it's raining outside. Then you need to zoom back to 50mm. It will be pulling all of those raindrops from the barrel towards the inside of the lens. Hopefully they have some serious and well-lubricated o-rings there to keep that water out in that situation. Does this type of situation concern anyone else? It seems that this would be a decent lens for outdoors events, sports, etc, so using it in the rain would definitely be a useful feature.

-Jim