Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-15-2007, 07:27 AM   #1
Veteran Member

3rd Parties slacking?!

I've been pondering a bit about this and wondered if anyone else has the same feelings.

Why haven't 3rd party lens makers like Sigma jumped the gun and made a SDM pentax lens yet? Heck they haven't even mentioned that they intend to in the near future to my knowledge. Do you think they are restricted to sitting back and waiting for Pentax to ship theirs first? Do they believe the sales wouldn't be sufficient enough? I mean think of the sales figures here... you sending out a lens that support the fastest growing dSLR currently on the market before the original maker does? Now I'd still buy Pentax glass over brand xyz but I'd love to get my hands on a 500mm 4 by sigma or tamron with SDM before the end of summer! Well I know we still have to wait for the firmware upgrade for SDM, but the LBA is so strong.

If these companies would make some SDM lenses soon what would you like to see right away?

I'm itching for a long telephoto 500mm and beyond with max min f4! And of course a SDM 50-500 bigma! Oh such dreams...

04-15-2007, 08:05 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I agree that they have an untapped market. My guess is that they were as surprised as Pentax by the resurgence of interest in Pentax compatible glass that the K10d and k100d caused. In December I emailed Sigma to express my frustration that their 70-200 f2.8 lens was no longer made in Pentax mount. they acknowledged that they had been focussing on supplying Canikon, but promised more fast lenses for pentax this spring. We'll see..... I think they would sell alot. And a little market competition never hurts the consumer.

PS: Here is the response I recieved in December: "Thank you for your inquiry. Due in part to extreme demand for Canon and Nikon mount lenses Sigma has recently given heavy priority to manufacturing Canon and Nikon mount lenses. However, Sigma does continue to support the Pentax system and offers more than 30 lenses for Pentax cameras as well. At this time, we have no firm delivery date for the 70-200mm F2.8 DG Macro lens for Pentax.
Sigma continues to be the company most committed to the Pentax lens system. Regarding the 120-300mm F2.8 lens, it is doubtful, at this time, that this lens will be made for Pentax cameras. The 50-150mm F2.8 lens will probably be made for Pentax, early next year. Please be patient."

Last edited by Wethphotography; 04-15-2007 at 08:13 AM. Reason: getting my dates right.
04-15-2007, 08:29 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Well that gives Pentax's DA* 50-135mm some competition.

Personally I'm rather concerned that there's plenty of Vivitar Series 1 for other mounts but I can't find any decent ones left for Pentax.

grrr..oh well, my LBA's been going on far enough. I have like four zooms of the same length..its nuts.

70-205, 70-210, 70-210, 80-200....and not one of them is the Vivitar S1 70-210/3.5 by Kiron.....
04-15-2007, 10:31 AM   #4
Inactive Account

The reply they gave me in Jan:

"Thank you for your inquiry. Unfortunately, we do not have any information regarding whether the Pentax lenses will have HSM function in the future. We may soon due to the fact that Pentax cameras now can equip HSM lenses; however we cannot guarantee anything yet. I apologize for the vague answer. "

04-15-2007, 11:01 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Have you considered that Sigma&Co. might have to reverse engineer HSM type lens designs, and are basically stuck until the Pentax ones hit the market?

I've never thought that they were 'slackin'. It's becoming apparent that they have been caught flat-footed, though.
04-15-2007, 11:37 AM   #6
Veteran Member

They'll have to build the KAF2 mount. Yea flat-footed is right haha. I hope that they'll release the 50-150mm/2.8 at least with a removable tripod collar. The zoom and focus rings on that are huge! They can sure some space to add a collar. That was one mistake Pentax made when adopting the Tokina 50-135.
04-15-2007, 01:56 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
The backward engineering of the Kaf2 mount makes sense. I guess I should have thought into that one lol.
04-15-2007, 01:58 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I've never actually seen what the bottom of a KAF2 lens actually looks like haha. I've seen the mount though.

04-17-2007, 05:11 PM   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by Wethphotography Quote
I agree that they have an untapped market. My guess is that they were as surprised as Pentax by the resurgence of interest in Pentax compatible glass that the K10d and k100d caused. In December I emailed Sigma to express my frustration that their 70-200 f2.8 lens was no longer made in Pentax mount. they acknowledged that they had been focussing on supplying Canikon, but promised more fast lenses for pentax this spring. We'll see..... I think they would sell alot. And a little market competition never hurts the consumer.

PS: Here is the response I recieved in December: "Thank you for your inquiry. Due in part to extreme demand for Canon and Nikon mount lenses Sigma has recently given heavy priority to manufacturing Canon and Nikon mount lenses. However, Sigma does continue to support the Pentax system and offers more than 30 lenses for Pentax cameras as well. At this time, we have no firm delivery date for the 70-200mm F2.8 DG Macro lens for Pentax.
Sigma continues to be the company most committed to the Pentax lens system. Regarding the 120-300mm F2.8 lens, it is doubtful, at this time, that this lens will be made for Pentax cameras. The 50-150mm F2.8 lens will probably be made for Pentax, early next year. Please be patient."
Hmmm...

Too bad to hear about the 120-300. Once I get the DA* zooms, I will most likely be purchasing a longer prime or zoom. The DA* 200 f/2.8 looks fine and the EX 100-300 would certainly do what I need it to. I doubt I'll even have the money for the EX 120-300 f/2.8 until I retire (which, considering I'm 13, should be in at least 45 years), so I shouldn't really complain about it not being available for my current camera...

By the way, can I even get an SDM/HSM lens working on my K100D without the high speed silent focusing? If not, I'll have to save up for the K10D and 16-50 all in one purchase. Drats!
04-18-2007, 06:13 AM   #10
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by FotoPete Quote
I've never actually seen what the bottom of a KAF2 lens actually looks like haha. I've seen the mount though.
Here you go, the mount of the Pentax FA 28-105 f4-5.6, in all its KAF2 glory.

04-18-2007, 06:44 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wmmk Quote
Hmmm...

Too bad to hear about the 120-300. Once I get the DA* zooms, I will most likely be purchasing a longer prime or zoom. The DA* 200 f/2.8 looks fine and the EX 100-300 would certainly do what I need it to. I doubt I'll even have the money for the EX 120-300 f/2.8 until I retire (which, considering I'm 13, should be in at least 45 years), so I shouldn't really complain about it not being available for my current camera...

By the way, can I even get an SDM/HSM lens working on my K100D without the high speed silent focusing? If not, I'll have to save up for the K10D and 16-50 all in one purchase. Drats!
I believe Pentax mentioned that the lens will work without SDM on any newer Pentax dslr with the help of a firmware upgrade. Hope this helps you out and when you coming down to Rockford and shoot LOL!