Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-15-2007, 12:22 PM   #1

K100D + Lens for Landscapes

I searched through the archives and found a varying consensus on what was typically regarded as a good "intro" lens for doing landscapes.

I hike a ton and want to jump into taking pictures of some of the views I get, ala broad sweeping mountain views. I'll be taking general ones with the lens kit.

At this point my budget is not very much 200 is on the higher higher end and I'd just like something to get me started.

Thanks.

04-15-2007, 12:29 PM   #2
Forum Member

You have few choices, so just start out with the kit 18-55. It more than serves the purpose.
04-15-2007, 12:44 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by amcneice Quote
I searched through the archives and found a varying consensus on what was typically regarded as a good "intro" lens for doing landscapes.

I hike a ton and want to jump into taking pictures of some of the views I get, ala broad sweeping mountain views. I'll be taking general ones with the lens kit.

At this point my budget is not very much 200 is on the higher higher end and I'd just like something to get me started.

Thanks.
I agree with nystate(etc), just start with the kit lens for now. There are excellent lenses wider than 18mm, of course, but they are all quite expensive, unless you want to go for some old manual lenses.

If you want to take broad landscape pics in the meantime, check out stitching programs. Some, like basic Autostitch, are even free! You can combine many shots with really excellent, dramatic results. And while you learn that skill, save your money for an FA 12-24, Sigma 10-20, or similar.
04-15-2007, 02:00 PM   #4

Photos: Gallery
The kit lens is by far your safest bet. And its a good one at that.

But Id have to point you towards the 21mm Limited. Its not as wide, granted, but it is so small, light, easy to pack, and has no barrel distortions or other field curvetures. It is sharp across the entire frame, and I would have to say, it wins hands down over any other wide in the line-up, and even give my 19mm Leica a run for its money.

04-15-2007, 02:51 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by scribble Quote
The kit lens is by far your safest bet. And its a good one at that.

But Id have to point you towards the 21mm Limited. Its not as wide, granted, but it is so small, light, easy to pack, and has no barrel distortions or other field curvetures. It is sharp across the entire frame, and I would have to say, it wins hands down over any other wide in the line-up, and even give my 19mm Leica a run for its money.
I agree, although it does come in a good bit above your price range. Because of the 1.5 crop factor cheap wide angle lenses are VERY hard to find. I've had my eye on a used Tamron 17mm, about $150 on KEH, but I really know nothing about this lens at all. The kit lens is good, but I'd hate to take it backpacking because of the sheer size. Something much more compact would be nice. Personally, I'm saving up for a DA 21mm, using the kit lens as a wide-angle stop gap in the meantime.
04-15-2007, 03:19 PM   #6

I will have to agree on the 21mm. It is an excellent lens. When I find that it is not quite wide enough for a particular shot, I just take several pictures and use autostich. Plus it serves the purpose of an excellent lens for wide snapshots/portraits and general wide angle photography.
04-15-2007, 09:29 PM   #7

Hey, although I did use an FA 80-200 lens at some points, if you check the exif, most of my pictures in Calgary last week was with the kit lens (left the rest all at home)

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/post-your-photos/5488-business-trip-calga...-friendly.html

You should check that thread and see what it can do!

Derek

QuoteOriginally posted by amcneice Quote

Thanks.