Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-23-2009, 02:55 PM   #1
Veteran Member

what do you gain with the DA15

I am wondering what advatages do you gain with the 15 over say the 21? I have the 21mm and want to be talked out of a fit of LBA Would anyone care to tell me the advantages of the DA15 over the DA21? other than the 6mm ?

04-23-2009, 03:25 PM   #2
Veteran Member

The field of view is a lot wider with the 15mm. But it takes some practice to use it to it's best. It does change the perspective quite a bit, compared to human vision. But, when mastered, the pictures can be spectacular. I'm sure you'll enjoy it.
04-23-2009, 03:48 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
F3.2 (21mm) versus F4.0 (15mm) if that's a concern for you.

QuoteOriginally posted by gokenin Quote
I am wondering what advatages do you gain with the 15 over say the 21? I have the 21mm and want to be talked out of a fit of LBA Would anyone care to tell me the advantages of the DA15 over the DA21? other than the 6mm ?
04-23-2009, 04:01 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by legacyb4 Quote
F3.2 (21mm) versus F4.0 (15mm) if that's a concern for you.
That's more like a loss.... trying to dissipate his LBA?

04-23-2009, 04:16 PM   #5
Pentaxian

6mm is *huge* at the wide end. 21mm is not very wide on APS-C. 15mm is.
04-24-2009, 12:52 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think these are 6 very good reasons to want it .

On the other hand, if you want some help resisting your LBA:
  • F4 instead of F3.2 (cfr legacyb4)!
  • dpreview only gave it a 'recommended' - not even "just highly"!
  • oh, and they found a decentering defect!
  • there have been signs of sample variations!
  • some of our members have posted some really wonderfull photos with it - I especially liked the series by tcom (Dominique)

Oops, that last item isn't actually helping, is it
04-24-2009, 03:23 PM   #7
Site Supporter

I am wondering what advatages do you gain with the 15 over say the 21?
Your wallet will be lighter and thus long walks will be less tiring (if you don't bring the lens).

Seriously, I very much want this lens, myself. However, there is a bit of noise floating around (dpreview, etc.) hinting that all of the QC issues may not be resolved in the early production samples of the DA 15 (certainly not unusual for the initial production of anything). Perhaps we ought to cool our jets for a while, until Pentax has some practice making these things - easy to say, hard to do.

Jer
04-24-2009, 03:46 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
Your wallet will be lighter and thus long walks will be less tiring (if you don't bring the lens).

Seriously, I very much want this lens, myself. However, there is a bit of noise floating around (dpreview, etc.) hinting that all of the QC issues may not be resolved in the early production samples of the DA 15 (certainly not unusual for the initial production of anything). Perhaps we ought to cool our jets for a while, until Pentax has some practice making these things - easy to say, hard to do.

Jer
I get the impression that its probably a good idea if you let the lens be in production for a few months. The idea being they will work out the bugs in the production. would be a couple of months before I can scrounge up that kind of money anyway. thanks for the imput guys