Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-24-2009, 07:19 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Decentering - Technical Question

In dpreview's assessment of the new DA 15, the author mentions that the test lens was slightly decentered. For whatever reason, I've recently noticed other references to decentering; thus my question to you tech experts out there: how common is minor decentering? Is this something present in most lenses but goes unnoticed and only major decentering considered a flaw? Just curious.

Thanks,

Jer

04-24-2009, 04:32 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
In dpreview's assessment of the new DA 15, the author mentions that the test lens was slightly decentered. For whatever reason, I've recently noticed other references to decentering; thus my question to you tech experts out there: how common is minor decentering? Is this something present in most lenses but goes unnoticed and only major decentering considered a flaw? Just curious.

Thanks,

Jer
The only zoom I have where I can see no decentring at all is (ironically) the kit 18-55. My 12-24 is very soft at extreme left (about the first 10% of the width) at fully wide; the Sigma 17-70 seems to vary a bit according to focal length; my trusty and much-loved FA24-90 is just a tad off on the right at 90mm. I'm surprised the DA15 was decentred - for me avoiding that has been one of the reasons for buying a prime - there is less to go wrong in the assembly process. But I'm sure what you say is right - it often goes unnoticed. Mind you, in these days of pixel-peeping it's probably picked up more than in the film days. I've never noticed a problem in any of the primes I have.

Tim