Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
04-24-2009, 08:22 AM   #1
Inactive Account

K 28mm/2 (rare ?, value ?)

I am new to PentaxForums. I recently picked up a Pentax K 28/2 . Huge lens for a 28mm. Very well made. I know next to nothing about this beast. Does anyone have information on how rare she is ? How many made and market value ( I don't plan on selling it, just curious) any help would be welcome ! Thank you, Randy

04-24-2009, 08:31 AM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The old answer for stuff when asked what it is worth...

"Well...what did you pay?"
Sorry, I couldn't resist and don't have a clue what it might be worth.

Steve
04-24-2009, 08:56 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by mactansblue Quote
I am new to PentaxForums. I recently picked up a Pentax K 28/2 . Huge lens for a 28mm. Very well made. I know next to nothing about this beast. Does anyone have information on how rare she is ? How many made and market value ( I don't plan on selling it, just curious) any help would be welcome ! Thank you, Randy
I think that lens is quite rare and pretty valueable. I haven't seen images from it, but I heard someone picked one up cheap on the forums lately and mentioned it was developed with the co-operation of Zeiss, and I started to look into it.

Found some info here:

Zeiss ZK lenses v SMC limited - Photo.net Pentax Forum

Some snips:
QuoteQuote:
before Zeiss hooked up with Yashica to release the Contax RTS system in 1975, they first had a brief relationship with Pentax for about a year and they jointly developed the Pentax K mount and also the Pentax K 28mm f2 lens, which is VERY similar indeed to the celebrated Contax Zeiss 28mm f2 lens.
QuoteQuote:
As for the comparison of the Pentax K 28/2 with the Contax Zeiss 28/2...they both have 9 elements in 8 groups, both have close focus of 0.25m, Zeiss weighs 485g, Pentax 423g, Pentax size 62.5x69mm Zeiss 62.5x76mm, Pentax 52mm filter, Zeiss 55mm filter, both have floating elements for close-ups, and if you inspect the internal optical construction, they are IDENTICAL....so quite clearly this was a shared lens design.
Zeiss still makes a 28mm f/2 which retails for over $1000. It's about the same size, though I'm sure they've changed at least something.

Enjoy it!
04-24-2009, 09:00 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

there are lots of F3.5 and F2.8 K mount wide angle lenses out there, but not that many below F2.8

these are good lenses and generally difficult to find.

I have been looking personally for fast K mount lenses, and have picked up M42 screw mount lenses when I find them below F2.8 only because I just cant find K mounts AT ALL.

you should keep it, but if you don't want to, I will gladly take it off your hands along with probably about 100 forum members

04-24-2009, 12:02 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I agree, probably pretty rare, hard to say what it would be worth, but probably in the general ballpark of the $499 USD that KEH.com asks for a "bargain" rated 15mm 3.5 SMC lens.

The problem is most folks are too darned poor to shell out those kind of clams for a brand new DA 21mm limited, much less a manual everything lens. I'd keep it until the world economy turns around.

Any chance you could post some pics of it for those of us who have never seen the beast?

regards,

gemar
04-24-2009, 02:22 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I will try to get some pics of it. I don't plan on selling it. Just curious about it. Many thanks for your help. Randy
04-24-2009, 02:32 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mactansblue Quote
I will try to get some pics of it. I don't plan on selling it. Just curious about it. Many thanks for your help. Randy
And pics with it please

04-24-2009, 03:28 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
there are lots of F3.5 and F2.8 K mount wide angle lenses out there, but not that many below F2.8

these are good lenses and generally difficult to find.

I have been looking personally for fast K mount lenses, and have picked up M42 screw mount lenses when I find them below F2.8 only because I just cant find K mounts AT ALL.

you should keep it, but if you don't want to, I will gladly take it off your hands along with probably about 100 forum members
I'll trade you my K28/3.5 even up
(Not really - I love my 28 - congratulations, you got a great lens)
Here is some old commentary from Stan's by Yoshi

Yoshihiko Takinami replies:

My personal ranking for Pentax 28m lenses are follows;
K28/3.5, K28/2 >= M28/3.5 >= FA28/2.8AL >>> M28/2.8 (old) >M28/2.8 (later), A28/2.8, F28/2.8

Stan's Pentax Photography
08-22-2010, 07:28 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Pentax K 2/28mm = Distagon

QuoteOriginally posted by farfisa Quote
And pics with it please
I am going to resurrect this old thread because i found some very nice infos, that i'd like to share with those interested.

I own this lens, probably it's one of the best wide angles released under the Pentax brand, and when i was looking for some additional informations, i found the following page:

SMC* PENTAX* 28mm f

Of course there is a nice picture of the beast, and a very, very interesting article about the collaboration between Zeiss and Pentax, the f/2 28mm series K, and a further developement that was already in advanced state, but that was blocked when Zeiss and Yashica teamed up for the introduction of the modern Contax.
The page is in italian, but i think that Google Translate would allow to understand most of the content.
The author reports a lot of (little known) facts, and a few personal speculations.
The most interesting:
he thinks that the SMC Pentax/Distagon was consigned, as per previously signed contract, when the deal with Kyocera/Yashica was already closed, so Zeiss delivered the assembled optic kernels to Pentax, in ready-to-use state, so probably they were coated in Germany (T*).
Only a speculation, albeit well supported, but what's absolutely sure is that the optic project is exactly the same as the 2/28mm Distagon.
AFAIK, the "K" 2/28 also is the first Pentax lens with floating elements, so in the end we can say that's a very peculiar lens, and probably one of the best MF primes.
It's just a pity that the lens is not so easy to find, and that it won't come cheap.

have fun
08-22-2010, 08:14 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have this lens, as well. I bought mine in '81 or '82 (long after most of the K lenses were replaced with the M series); I wanted a fast 28 and St. Louis Photo Supply and the Pentax Rep were able to find an unused K 28/2 somewhere. I paid 65 bucks for it. It's still like new. I'd use it often, if a K20D would meter K lenses consistently. As it is, it remains in its case most of the time.

Jer
08-22-2010, 08:47 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I'll trade you my K28/3.5 even up
(Not really - I love my 28 - congratulations, you got a great lens)
Here is some old commentary from Stan's by Yoshi

Yoshihiko Takinami replies:

My personal ranking for Pentax 28m lenses are follows;
K28/3.5, K28/2 >= M28/3.5 >= FA28/2.8AL >>> M28/2.8 (old) >M28/2.8 (later), A28/2.8, F28/2.8

Stan's Pentax Photography
I'm surprised the F28 2.8 is ranked so low. Its price certainly suggests otherwise. I guess Stan must really like MF.
08-22-2010, 10:41 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Congrats Randy,

By all accounts this is a very rare and special lens.

Tom G
08-22-2010, 10:51 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by cyberjunkie Quote
I am going to resurrect this old thread because i found some very nice infos, that i'd like to share with those interested.

I own this lens, probably it's one of the best wide angles released under the Pentax brand, and when i was looking for some additional informations, i found the following page:

SMC* PENTAX* 28mm f

Of course there is a nice picture of the beast, and a very, very interesting article about the collaboration between Zeiss and Pentax, the f/2 28mm series K, and a further developement that was already in advanced state, but that was blocked when Zeiss and Yashica teamed up for the introduction of the modern Contax.
The page is in italian, but i think that Google Translate would allow to understand most of the content.
The author reports a lot of (little known) facts, and a few personal speculations.
The most interesting:
he thinks that the SMC Pentax/Distagon was consigned, as per previously signed contract, when the deal with Kyocera/Yashica was already closed, so Zeiss delivered the assembled optic kernels to Pentax, in ready-to-use state, so probably they were coated in Germany (T*).
Only a speculation, albeit well supported, but what's absolutely sure is that the optic project is exactly the same as the 2/28mm Distagon.
AFAIK, the "K" 2/28 also is the first Pentax lens with floating elements, so in the end we can say that's a very peculiar lens, and probably one of the best MF primes.
It's just a pity that the lens is not so easy to find, and that it won't come cheap.

have fun
Thanks posting for the link, great stuff! The collaboration between Pentax and Zeiss in the early 1970’s was to say the least "interesting". They also collaborated on the 15mm f3.5, using an aspherical element in the early design.

I agree on the performance of the K28/2, it’s a classic MF Pentax lens. Like the K50/1.2 it has its strong points, in this case close focusing when the floating elements kick in. Truly incredible results can be achieved with this lens at close distance and its worth every penny.

I shot a whole roll of film with mine on Friday, all at close distance focusing on stone sculptures. The 28mm FL is perfect on film, for getting real close to an average to small sized subject.

Phil.
08-22-2010, 11:33 AM   #14
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by hangu Quote
I'm surprised the F28 2.8 is ranked so low. Its price certainly suggests otherwise. I guess Stan must really like MF.
I'd personally rank the F 28 above the FA 28 but the FA is still a good lens. I wouldn't rank the M 28 that high at all and below both of them. I have a Focal 28mm f2.8 that I prefer over the M 28mm.
08-22-2010, 01:01 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
I have this lens, as well. I bought mine in '81 or '82 (long after most of the K lenses were replaced with the M series); I wanted a fast 28 and St. Louis Photo Supply and the Pentax Rep were able to find an unused K 28/2 somewhere. I paid 65 bucks for it. It's still like new. I'd use it often, if a K20D would meter K lenses consistently. As it is, it remains in its case most of the time.

Jer
Just install an *istD screen and it will meter just fine. Otherwise send me a pm with an offer to sell
Closed Thread