Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-24-2009, 01:59 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Nikkor 105mm f2.5 non-AI on K10D

Upon reading another thread found here, I purchased a Nikkor 105mm at a camera show. I got a good deal for it because a previous owner had tried to modify it, but only got part of the job done.

Here are some photos of the lens in question (These photos are post-modification):

The first thing I did was use an orbital sander to make the aperture ring narrower. This will give the mount a bit more clearance.

In order to do this, i had to remove the aperture ring altogether. This was easy to do once I removed the retention screw and the aperture ring just screws off.

The retention screw also moves the aperture blades open and closed by moving a slot back and forth. When putting the aperture ring back, it's important to keep this in mind and make sure the retention screw is lined up with the slot.

Once that was done, I drilled a whole in the mount collar to get the lens to lock on to the lock pin on the camera. You'll notice that I drilled two holes. The one on the bottom was an earlier miscalculated hole.

It's not pretty, but I'm perfectly confident that I won't drop it by accident. One thing to keep in mind is that a drilled hole will be tapered if it is shallow and the lock pin will simply slip out. I had to grind the hole so the side that the lock pin grabs onto was perpendicular instead of sloped.

Let me know if you're interested in sample pictures, I'll try to take some and post them.

04-24-2009, 07:03 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
>" One thing to keep in mind is that a drilled hole will be tapered if it is shallow and the lock pin will simply slip out.

You can easily square-up/clean up the hole (or do the whole job) with one of the carbide/diamond burrs or milling bits made for the Dremel or other rotary tools.

I intentionally off-set the notch about 20 degrees when possible (depending on how the lens seats on the mount) so the flash bulge doesn't hide the aperture ring.

H2
04-25-2009, 01:14 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Please post the samples, wide open included please.
04-29-2009, 02:02 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Here are some samples (no pp only resized):

f2.5 - iso 100 - 1/1000 s

100% crop @2.5 (weird bokeh wide open)

100% crop @2.5

f5.6 - iso 100 - 1/250 s

100% crop @5.6

f8 - iso 100 - 1/125 s

Overall, I'm very happy with this lens. It's quite sharp when I can manage to focus it. I'm thinking a new split prism focus screen might be in order.

04-29-2009, 03:52 PM   #5
Veteran Member

This was my favourite protrait lens way back when I used a Nikon F and other Nikon film bodies.... Dave
04-29-2009, 04:57 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

I don't suppose you'd part with the rabbit ears and retaining screws would you?
04-29-2009, 05:22 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
I don't suppose you'd part with the rabbit ears and retaining screws would you?
Wouldn't bother me a bit. Although, since I took the orbital sander to the aperture ring, i actually sliced about 1/3 of the screw head off. Not sure it'd be any use to you in that state.

If I get my hands on another Nikkor, I'll take them off before I sand it down and they're yours.

04-29-2009, 10:23 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Depends on the pricing, it is not bad as a lens. I found the harsh edged bokeh a little concerning there.

The colour is usually not a problem with old Nikon primes. There is little flat look to their images as well.
04-30-2009, 07:17 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by roentarre Quote
Depends on the pricing, it is not bad as a lens. I found the harsh edged bokeh a little concerning there.

The colour is usually not a problem with old Nikon primes. There is little flat look to their images as well.
Hmmm... you've got me a bit worried. I noticed that my shots all feel a bit flat, but I chalked it up to my dingy screen. I've noticed this with a few of my other lenses as well. Could there be something wrong with my camera? Any ideas?

I think I'll investigate further when I get home.
04-30-2009, 08:53 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Nachodog Quote
Wouldn't bother me a bit. Although, since I took the orbital sander to the aperture ring, i actually sliced about 1/3 of the screw head off. Not sure it'd be any use to you in that state.

If I get my hands on another Nikkor, I'll take them off before I sand it down and they're yours.
PM sent.
As part of my middle aged craziness I decided that I wanted to build the Nikon kit that I dreamed of when I was a teenager.
With this in mind I sent out shopping on ebay and found some very well kept equipment from the mid 1970s (F2s and a few lenses that were it's contemporaries), but one of the lenses that I bought was missing the rabbit ears.
I'll grab this from you, I probably have a screw or two around the house that will work.

Thanks
05-09-2009, 07:24 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Here is another shot with the Nikkor. I think I figured out the colour issue (wrong colourspace) and the focus is spot on. I'm very impressed with this lens and what it can do. It seems that I'm the weakest link here, not the lens.

Taken @ f8 and resized:

100% crop:
05-09-2009, 10:34 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Nachodog Quote
Here is another shot with the Nikkor. I think I figured out the colour issue (wrong colourspace) and the focus is spot on. I'm very impressed with this lens and what it can do. It seems that I'm the weakest link here, not the lens.

Taken @ f8 and resized:
Channel 6 is the cowbell track...please turn it UP!