Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-24-2009, 07:52 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I can't wait until I go to NY!!

I just had a revelation!! My LBA embargo ends July 1! That is the day that I am flying to NY for a mini-vacation with my GF for the 4th of July, fireworks in Manhattan just seem cool. Anyway, I will be staying with my cousin in Manhattan, and B&H is in Manhattan (or there abouts) How sweet would it be to fly in only with the DA35LTD and buy the DA15LTD and DA70LTD while I am there... Oh man, what a sweet day(dream) that would be!

04-24-2009, 07:56 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sounds great to me, Buddha!
04-24-2009, 08:16 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Buddha Jones Quote
I just had a revelation!! My LBA embargo ends July 1! That is the day that I am flying to NY for a mini-vacation with my GF for the 4th of July, fireworks in Manhattan just seem cool. Anyway, I will be staying with my cousin in Manhattan, and B&H is in Manhattan (or there abouts) How sweet would it be to fly in only with the DA35LTD and buy the DA15LTD and DA70LTD while I am there... Oh man, what a sweet day(dream) that would be!

Sweet is right. Your GF will think all the excitement is about her, though, so don't let on.

BTW, you have the 60-250 in your July line in your sig also - you getting that too, or is that a later purchase?

04-24-2009, 08:17 PM   #4

Buddha,

You would be subject to NYS sales tax unless you had it shipped out of NYS. The tax on $1100 of lenses would be close to $100. It may be cheaper to ship this to a friend in NJ, CT & pick it up from them wwhen you get into town or even to yourself in NC before your trip.

04-24-2009, 08:17 PM   #5

Go for it brother! Gotta at least go there even if you don't intend to get anything (Yeah right). It's camera/lens heaven in there. I've been there once and it's fantastic.
04-24-2009, 09:14 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by blind-bat Quote
Buddha,

You would be subject to NYS sales tax unless you had it shipped out of NYS. The tax on $1100 of lenses would be close to $100. It may be cheaper to ship this to a friend in NJ, CT & pick it up from them wwhen you get into town or even to yourself in NC before your trip.
When you're dropping $1100, what's one more Benjamin?

QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
Sweet is right. Your GF will think all the excitement is about her, though, so don't let on.

BTW, you have the 60-250 in your July line in your sig also - you getting that too, or is that a later purchase?
It will be about her, but after I get my jollies. That lens list is more of a 3rd Qtr purchasing list, it's a toss up between that and a new TV...

QuoteOriginally posted by KFrog Quote
Go for it brother! Gotta at least go there even if you don't intend to get anything (Yeah right). It's camera/lens heaven in there. I've been there once and it's fantastic.
I am def going to go, and Lord willing I will be in a position to make a purchase!
04-25-2009, 01:39 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
Originally Posted by KFrog View Post

I am def going to go, and Lord willing I will be in a position to make a purchase!

Could imagine how you guys feel... I find myself over the moon just visiting the website.

Lashed out yesterday on B&H site and finaly ordered my 31 Ltd

Still works out cheaper than what I can get it for in OZ

Enjoy your stay mate in NY... like kids visiting Disneyland

Neil

04-25-2009, 03:32 AM   #8
Veteran Member

That lens list is more of a 3rd Qtr purchasing list, it's a toss up between that and a new TV...
Didn't you just get a new TV less than a year ago when you moved or am I thinking of someone else. Anyway my point being, why would you even consider something other than the 60-250 when you have that option.

Enjoy your trip. I would love to be able to visit the Big Apple.

I just heard something in the news also about on-line sales tax coming into affect soon. I am not looking foward to that.
04-25-2009, 04:27 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Well I was going to buy a new TV when I moved, but opted not to. But it has come increasingly appearent that I need one, my room is too big for my 40" (even my girlfriend agrees). I can barely read the captions on any video games. So I am going to get a 120Hz 50+" and put the 40" in my office as a 3rd monitor (I drewl just thinking of that) since I don't believe in TV's in the bedroom.
04-25-2009, 04:45 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by OrenMc Quote
.......... Anyway my point being, why would you even consider something other than the 60-250 when you have that option. ...................
BudhaJone's that is one sweat collection of lenses you've got there......

@ Oren, after seeing some images from the 60-250, I am getting these evil thoughts of selling my sigma 100-300 and getting that beauty....what do you think ?...I will wait for more pictures, but if it renders anything like the images floating around, I need one...damn! I rated the sigma 100-300 as a 10/10 and it is, so what the heck is the 60-250 (well. I just took some shots with my sigma100-300 and saw more shots from the 60-250.....I think I will keep my sigma...I wish it has the pentax coating though )

Also, how do you rename the link to say just PPG in your signature. When I try, it is writing out the whole web address.

P.S: I don't want to totally hijack BudhaJ's thread, so Oren I'll thank you here for answering the PPG link question...thank you.

Last edited by pcarfan; 04-25-2009 at 03:48 PM.
04-25-2009, 04:49 AM   #11
Veteran Member

You really didn't need to explain yourself but....

40" monitor ( drewl )
DA* 60-250 ( triple drewl )

pcarfan, the 60-250 does look promising. As for the PPG link, I asked the same question a little while back. When you click on add link and copy/paste link from PPG there is going to be a highlighted area, type in PPG ( or whatever ) there. If you have any problems let me know.

Last edited by OrenMc; 04-25-2009 at 05:00 AM.
04-25-2009, 05:27 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Don't neglect a look-see at Adorama while in NY. Oh, and do try to visit the International Center for Photography or one of the museums....
04-25-2009, 06:20 AM   #13
Ira
Inactive Account

Buddah, you're going to have a BLAST! (I'm from there.)

On July 4th, they always had a street festival down by the South Street Seaport, so if they still have that, definitely don't miss it. Also, some years they do the fireworks on the east side of Manhattan, where that festival is. But other times, it's on the west/Hudson River side.

I don't know exactly where BH is now located, but remember that they close early Friday and are closed SATURDAY. When does July 4th fall out on, because you don't want that to screw you up.
04-25-2009, 12:15 PM   #14
Pentaxian

I just had a revelation!! My LBA embargo ends July 1! ... and buy the DA15LTD and DA70LTD while I am there...
I must say I don't quite understand this technique you're using to deal with LBA.
I looks as if you're waiting on a certain date and then buy everything at once?

Does this work?
04-25-2009, 12:43 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

WTG Buddha!

You should also check out Adorama while you are there. I've actually found the folks at Adorama slightly friendlier than those at B&H. But maybe that's because I've been shopping at Adorama for so long. If you like street photography check out Union Square (near Adorama) you will usually find lot's of artists displaying their work and a nice outdoor "farmers market". In the same area is the biggest Barnes and Noble I've ever seen if you are into books.
Washington Sq can be good for some good street musician shots and 'performance artists' (read break dancing; mimes etc) I vaguely rememeber Washington Sq was under renovation, so it might be closed, but I haven't been down there in quite a while.
If you want any other tips on what to see/do drop me a PM. However, if you are like many tourists, you've got more than a full plate already.

NaCl(almost too much to do and see in NYC)H2O