Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-24-2009, 08:45 PM   #1

DA 70 Limited Build Quality

Just a quick question for others who own the DA 70 Limited. I recently added one to my collection and have noticed that the barrel is a bit loose front to back. When focused to 1.3m the play when lightly pushing/pulling on the barrel is quite noticeable compared to my DA 35. Is this normal for the lens?

04-24-2009, 10:17 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Silly question, but maybe it's the movement from the lens hood?

I'll have to check my own to see if I can do the same.
04-25-2009, 04:13 AM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by legacyb4 Quote
Silly question, but maybe it's the movement from the lens hood?

I'll have to check my own to see if I can do the same.
Quite possible as my 70mm is tight and solid, but the hood isn't
04-25-2009, 07:16 AM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Torphoto Quote
Quite possible as my 70mm is tight and solid, but the hood isn't
This is definitely the barrel. Even when using the focus ring there is a bit of looseness before it catches and moves the barrel in or out. Sounds like it might be worth a trip to Pentax to get checked out.

04-25-2009, 11:00 AM   #5
Veteran Member

well my well used DA 70 is tight, no play or wobble front or back or side to side but do remember the focus ring is undamped make sure it's not this either.
04-25-2009, 01:44 PM   #6
Pentaxian

I don't notice an unusual amount play in my barrel either, but the hood definitely likes to move around on its own, and spends a good deal of time kind of cocked at an angle, mostly retracted but partially portruding on one side, until I push it back in.
04-26-2009, 08:23 AM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by lowbit Quote
This is definitely the barrel. Even when using the focus ring there is a bit of looseness before it catches and moves the barrel in or out. Sounds like it might be worth a trip to Pentax to get checked out.
I sent my lens in to Pentax for this reason. It seemed like a whole lot of play for a Limited lens (I had them all at the time). The repair notes say they did some minor adjustments but ultimately I didn't notice a difference. I think that's just how the lens is and it would be a waste of time for you.
04-26-2009, 07:55 PM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by frostugh Quote
I sent my lens in to Pentax for this reason. It seemed like a whole lot of play for a Limited lens (I had them all at the time). The repair notes say they did some minor adjustments but ultimately I didn't notice a difference. I think that's just how the lens is and it would be a waste of time for you.
Interesting and thanks for all the replies on this. So far optically nothing seems out of sort. I'll likely keep working with it and if I want to send it in, will do so before the one year warranty is up just to see if they can improve it.

Last edited by lowbit; 04-27-2009 at 06:55 AM.
04-27-2009, 11:07 AM   #9

The only play I see in mine is the sun shade it slides really easy but I don't see any other issues with it. Then again I've only had it a week.