Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-25-2009, 03:54 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
When was Ricoh Rikenon 70-210 macro-zoom made?

I was given this lens for nothing, and with a few extension tubes mounted on the Pentax K-m, it produces good results. (Could have been a little sharper but I was propping it up on a tin of olive oil.)

Rikenon P Zoom 1:3.9 70~210mm Macro

Does anyone know anything about this lens, the internet is strangely silent on this one, perhaps it is simply unremarkable.

Thanks!

(must go to bed: getting late here)

PS I have just started an account at Zenfolio: this is the most user-friendly photo site I have seen yet. Part of my job is to critique and design simple interfaces - and it passes muster.

Last edited by Stefan Carey; 04-25-2009 at 04:21 AM.
04-25-2009, 07:07 AM   #2
Veteran Member

There's such an uncanny resemblance between the Ricoh 70-210/3.9 and the SMC Pentax-A 70-210/4 down to the font that I'm willing to bet they are one in the same optically. (minus the SMC coats).

When the Pentax "A" system came out, Pentax either forced Ricoh to design their own auto aperture system or Ricoh chose to do it and made the "P" or Program variant of cameras and lenses.

Nevertheless you have yourself a solid lens there. DNA from one of Pentax's legacy zoom greats!
04-25-2009, 04:26 PM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks for your interesting post

Fascinating and thanks.

Will do some more research to see if I can find out more.

cheers
04-25-2009, 09:28 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Could you post a picture of the lens?

04-26-2009, 03:14 AM   #5

Original Poster
Thank you : photos attached

Hi there Ovim; Please let me know if you need more. Thanks for your interest.

Looks like I have some dusting to do

Lens has a small hood that extends out.

Last edited by Stefan Carey; 04-26-2009 at 03:20 AM.
04-26-2009, 09:11 AM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Out of curiosity, how did you solve the "Ricoh Pin" issue? I thought it good to mention the hazard (permanent attachment to Pentax AF cameras) for the benefit of any noobs reading this thread.

Steve

BTW...Your lens probably dates from the mid-1980s to the early 1990s...
04-26-2009, 05:07 PM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Out of curiosity, how did you solve the "Ricoh Pin" issue? I thought it good to mention the hazard (permanent attachment to Pentax AF cameras) for the benefit of any noobs reading this thread.

Steve

BTW...Your lens probably dates from the mid-1980s to the early 1990s...
Good suggestion Steve

The previous owner must have solved this perhaps. I was really worried about offending the guy because I learnt about the pin after he offered the lens.

I had seen photos of a Pentax DSLR somewhere with a hacksaw being used to get the lens off. Scary stuff

04-26-2009, 05:42 PM   #8
clm

"Ricoh-pin" is a non-issue with genuine Ricoh lenses and quality third party lenses I have used.
04-26-2009, 06:21 PM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by clm Quote
"Ricoh-pin" is a non-issue with genuine Ricoh lenses and quality third party lenses I have used.
I would like to qualify this last comment a bit. The "pin" implementation varies somewhat between lenses and manufacturers. On some it is a real, honest-to-goodness spring-loaded pin that protrudes a significant distance when extended and which will jam itself into the AF drive slot when an attempt is made to mount. On others, it is a small, spring-loaded ball that has less of a tendency to jam. I can't comment about all Rikenon-P lenses, but the ones I have personally handled have had the pin-type fitting.

In any case, I would suggest extreme caution and care if anyone wants to mount a Ricoh P mount on an Pentax AF camera.

Steve

(Almost got an PK/R Adaptall-2 stuck on my K10D...fortunately the "pin" jammed against rather than into the AF drive...dumb luck...)
04-26-2009, 08:49 PM   #10

Original Poster
Thanks for such a detailed and useful reply.

Perhaps we need a list of the exact lenses which are going to cause a problem. Perhaps a such a list exists?
04-27-2009, 03:33 PM   #11

Rikenon PK 70-210 / 3.9

I bought mine new in 1984.

It had the "ball" type pin (actually a rounded pin, not a ball), but I removed it anyway as I don't think I will use the (Ricoh) film body again, and I can always replace the pin if I change my mind.

It is a good, solid lens in its range and I still use it frequently and I have got some unexpectedly good "macro" shots out of it. CA can be pretty pronounced in high-contrast shots.

I've always thought the Rikenon lenses get less mention than they deserve, but I assume it's a combination of not that many sold and fear of the pin.

04-27-2009, 04:08 PM   #12

Original Poster
Ah, many thanks, it sounds like you have helped to solve the mystery!

Thanks for the post.

Stefan