Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-25-2009, 04:34 PM   #1
Veteran Member

How to increase focus speed

i solved a proble earlier this week, and i thought i might share it with you to see if it will help you to,
i wanted a faster responce time, which is time between pressing shutter, getting focus lock and snapping the photo. so there i was doing some research, and narrowed it down to the Nikon D90 or the Canon 50D, so i went on to steves forum and asked which should i choose, well JimC replied , to me right away and asked why i wanted to change, for he has helped me a lot with my K20D and K10D in the past, so i told him why, he replied, just try one more thing for him before i switch.
He told me to put on the lens shade and remove the protective filter, and bam!!!!!!!!!

i was using a totally different camera , outdoors and indoors, i mean instant focus lock and snapping.
to finalize the test , i gave my wife the camera and told her to take a picture of me, her responce was, " so you went and bought another camera today" i asked her why she asked that , she replied " cause this camera taking pictures right away and the other one took forever
I smiled said a pray for JimC

Dave

04-25-2009, 04:40 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I think that only works with the Kay Twen Tee. My K100D is paaaainfully slow in low light regardless of lens hood position.
04-25-2009, 04:48 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ftpaddict Quote
I think that only works with the Kay Twen Tee. My K100D is paaaainfully slow in low light regardless of lens hood position.

actually it turned out to be the protective filter that was the culprit, even though it is a top of the line Hoya pro 1 digital

Dave
04-25-2009, 05:14 PM   #4
jeffkpotter

I'm not surprised. I've wasted a lot of money on top of the line protective filters
that I rarely, if ever, use. Why put yet another layer of glass over already perfect
optics? I understand folks want to protect their investment, but at what cost?

04-26-2009, 02:08 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by dafiryde Quote
actually it turned out to be the protective filter that was the culprit, even though it is a top of the line Hoya pro 1 digital

Dave
Alrighty, then. My only protected lens happens to be the telephoto Tokina. I'll take the filter out and do a hunting test. Normally I wouldn't bother, but I'm just curious to see if it has an effect.
04-26-2009, 02:26 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Interesting. I use B+W filters on all my lenses. I'll have to give this is a try on my K20 and see if I notice any difference.
04-26-2009, 03:30 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I have removed my filters and I am going to test tomorrow

Will be interesting

04-26-2009, 08:06 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've never noticed any difference with or without uv/protective filters.
Sorry.
Oh, this is on K10D.
04-26-2009, 08:23 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dafiryde Quote
He told me to put on the lens shade and remove the protective filter, and bam!!!!!!!!!
I always wonder why people buy totally useless things like uv and "protective" filters...
04-26-2009, 09:10 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by simico Quote
I always wonder why people buy totally useless things like uv and "protective" filters...
Perhaps because they don't find these things to be totally useless?
Just a thought...
Anyway, this is one of those 'beaten-to-dead-and-then-some' topics.