Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-25-2009, 08:50 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
DA 15, DA12-24, DA*16-50 Comparison Images

If you are interested they can be found at:

da_wides_comp Photo Gallery by Stephen C. Gushue at pbase.com

JPEG data should make fairly clear what is what.

Bandwidth needed as the images are full jpegs from DNG through CS3, unretouched.

DA 15 images show F4, 5.6 and 8.
DA12-24 and DA*16-50 show F4 and F8 for brevity.

Stephen

04-25-2009, 11:25 PM   #2
Veteran Member

They all look fine to me. The shot done with DA 15 seems darker (even at the center, so it's not only due to vignetting) than DA 12-24--at f/4, 1/2000, ISO 100.
04-26-2009, 01:11 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Hi Stephen, thank you for the comparison. I just received Da 15mm yesterday and I love it very much.

I think what really makes Da 15mm ltd is its size and weight. Soooo light as a prime, great for tiresome long trips regardless it is outdoor or international travel. Certainly this lens will kick my Da 21mm ltd in my bag.
04-26-2009, 01:38 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Thanks for the test. I've always noticed that when I use the DA 12-24, the photos are "brighter" and this kind of reinforces my observation.

04-26-2009, 05:50 AM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Stephen, I add my thanks for posting these shots. Very helpful.

Jer
04-26-2009, 06:42 AM   #6
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by roentarre Quote
Hi Stephen, thank you for the comparison. I just received Da 15mm yesterday and I love it very much.

I think what really makes Da 15mm ltd is its size and weight. Soooo light as a prime, great for tiresome long trips regardless it is outdoor or international travel. Certainly this lens will kick my Da 21mm ltd in my bag.
Thanks James,

I think the lens is a masterpiece of construction and the light weight makes for pocket packing if you have to. While not a perfect lens (which one is?), it certainly is not the laggard that some seem to be labeling it as.

There are, as you know, trade offs with everything in life and the DA15 LTD is no exception. But the output is still very good and the build quality is flawless.

I found in further testing that it is, by quite a margin, better than either of the other lenses I tested at flare. It simply does not show compromise when shooting into very contra light conditions. There is little or no loss of contrastand the color saturation remains at a high level. The DA*16-50 was good too, but the DA12-24showed some struggling in similar backlit/contra conditions.

Color balance on the DA15 is slightly cool of neutral and about a 1/3 stop under.
Color balance on the DA 12-24 is nuertral and exposure appears dead on.
Color blance on the DA*16-50 appears just warm of neutral and 1/3 under.

CA's are typical for this focal length and appears to be equally exhibited on all lenses. These are largley correctable in PP.

QuoteOriginally posted by Toshi Quote
Thanks for the test. I've always noticed that when I use the DA 12-24, the photos are "brighter" and this kind of reinforces my observation.
Toshi,

Same here. Wonderful lens all the way. I don't know why the exposure difference, perhaps some variation in coating and thus light transmission... though in theory, more coating... more light transmission

QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
Stephen, I add my thanks for posting these shots. Very helpful.

Jer
Jer

Glad to be of service. That was the goal There has been a ton of bashing on the lens since it was reviewed on DP.

I began to question my purchase last week of the DA15 so I decided to put all the focal lengths head to head. I give a slight edge to the DA*, but the DA12-24 is an outstanding lens and the DA 15 keeps up with it.

But, let others decide... I just thought that someone should give the a chance to study some images and know what they need to compare.

QuoteOriginally posted by asdf Quote
They all look fine to me. The shot done with DA 15 seems darker (even at the center, so it's not only due to vignetting) than DA 12-24--at f/4, 1/2000, ISO 100.
Yes, about a 1/3 to perhaps 1/2 a stop. No big deal breaker to me. The DA* does the same thing.

I found vignetting to be no serious problem on the DA15 at all. It was hard to tell the difference in vignetting from all three lenses. NO problem on any of the lenses.

Thanks Guys,
Appreciate the feedback.
04-26-2009, 11:49 AM   #7
Inactive Account

DA15 Review up on SLRGEAR.com

SLR Gear has a review up on the DA15 now (FYI)

Pentax Lens: Primes - Pentax 15mm f/4 ED AL Limited SMC DA (Tested) - SLRgear.com!

And thanks for posting the comparison pics!