Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-10-2009, 11:21 AM   #31
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Marc:
I find the Raynox clip on adapter awkward to use - you have to be careful in centering. And it makes the thing take up way more space in the bag than is necessary. At least you don't need to buy anything extra, so that' one point in favor of the clip-on. But the extra $10 it cost me to get the stepping ring to screw it on directly was *definitely* worth it.
Thanks Marc, that's good to know! I take back what I said about convenience.

Iowa Dave

05-10-2009, 11:33 AM   #32
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Marc:
One other option I'm curious about, though - what about the screw-on adapter that comes with the cheap vivitar/phoenix/whatever 100mm macro? I'm guessing it isn't as strong as the Raynox 150, but could be even more convenient.
m=m_original+focal_length x diopters(1+m_original)

so d=(1-.5)/(1.5*0.1)=3.333

+3.3 diopters might be a handy strength: on a 300mm lens that's 1:1 minimum.

Iowa Dave
05-10-2009, 11:36 AM   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
EDIT - and I see you went ahead and ordered it. Should be the right one if you followed my link. I had never heard of the company before (actually heavystar, not heavy hitters), but they were very straightforward to deal with - somewhat more "personal" than the typical online store, actually, in the confirmation emails I received.
Oops! My bad!

Heavy Star!

Was thinking bout them Houston Astros I guess!
05-10-2009, 11:53 PM   #34
Veteran Member

Looks like I'll have to dig up some of yesterday's pics using the Raynox 250 with my DA 55-300. Trying that combo tetsts the steadiness of the hand big time.

05-11-2009, 12:59 AM   #35

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I love the Raynox add-ons, but I mainly use them on my Panasonic FZ8K. But I have used them on my K10D + Tokina 28-70mm 1:4 macro lens. The flowers are tiny little buggers about the size of a half dollar coin.

FZ8K + Raynox DCR-150, 250, or MSN-202 with some taken on the raynox KS-2000 Lighted Macro Table:

Crystals inside a 4mm spessartite garnet, not visible with the naked eye:

2mm long crystal from inside of a Keokuk mini geode, 2 images stacked for DOF:

3mm long silicon carbide spray:

tiny crystal point you see in the lower left corner of the above spray, MSN-202 in tele-macro mode:

About a 2mm spray:

Tiny point on a 2mm long spray with the MSN-202:

The best straight up 1:1 macro lens for insects on a dSLR though is the Sigma 150mm f/2.8 EX DG HSM Macro lens, can not be beat. Now, they don;t make the 150mm for the Pentax, but they do make the bigger brother, the Sigma APO MACRO 180mm F3.5 EX DG IF HSM lens for Pentax and it is easily as good, some say actually better, as the 150mm one. I have used both and prefer the 150mm personally, but the 180mm is as good IMHO. The extra working distance you get makes shooting insects much much easier as you can get the lit much better as well as not scare them away as easy either!

Sigma 150mm Macro:

The Sigma 105mm macro is another very nice lens, no doubts about that, as well.

Also, a nice bellows setup is awesome on a dSLR.
05-11-2009, 01:05 AM   #36
Veteran Member

The Raynox 250 on the DA55-300, hand held so excuse the shake, the neighbours get a bit cranky if you go setting up tripods in their front yards.

05-11-2009, 01:07 AM   #37
Loyal Site Supporter

Yes the Sigma 105mm Macro is a very sharp lens and the sharpness increases when you add a Kenko 36mm Extension Tube to the equasion. BTW This is the first photo I've uploaded to this site so hope you like it.
Attached Images

05-11-2009, 08:16 AM   #38
Pentaxian

You should browse through this thread: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/post-your-photos/51505-my-macro-photos.html
And have a look at this specific response where he shows his lens configuration: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/post-your-photos/51505-my-macro-photos.html

Cheers, Bert

05-12-2009, 03:51 AM   #39
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by newarts Quote
Thanks Marc, that's good to know! I take back what I said about convenience.

Iowa Dave
To the contrary.

The clip on Raynox adaptor is self centring.
It is also quite secure when mounted on a lens.
I use mine primarily with a Tamron Adaptall 2 80 to 210mm both with and without a filter attached.
It also fits well on any other lens to which I have mounted it.
It takes very little room the camera bag and will slip unobtrusively into any small pocket, niche or space.

I think it is a beautifully designed, extraordinary performer.

Could there be different versions?

Mickey