Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-27-2009, 04:19 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Tamron Adaptall-2 Mount Question

I own a Tamron SP 70-210mm F/3.5-4 Model 52A which I currently use on my Spotmatics with an M42 Adaptall-2 mount. It is a fine lens but it lacks a manual/auto lever. The only way it stops down is when the pin on the mount is pushed in.
That means that it is virtually unusable on my K10D (except at maximum aperture).

My question is will it work on the K10D if I buy an Adaptall-2 PK mount? Or must it be a P-KA mount? Are there different PK Adaptall-2 mounts? Will some work and others not work?

Please excuse my ignorance of K-mounts. I jumped from Spotmatics to the K10D and it is my first K-mount.

04-27-2009, 05:02 PM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rayallen Quote
I own a Tamron SP 70-210mm F/3.5-4 Model 52A which I currently use on my Spotmatics with an M42 Adaptall-2 mount. It is a fine lens but it lacks a manual/auto lever. The only way it stops down is when the pin on the mount is pushed in.
That means that it is virtually unusable on my K10D (except at maximum aperture).

My question is will it work on the K10D if I buy an Adaptall-2 PK mount? Or must it be a P-KA mount? Are there different PK Adaptall-2 mounts? Will some work and others not work?

Please excuse my ignorance of K-mounts. I jumped from Spotmatics to the K10D and it is my first K-mount.
Ray, the Adaptall2 to M42 mount will work with your K10D, but you will need to get a Pentax M42 to K adapter. Please see this link for the modification I did on the Adaptall2 to M42 adapter to keep the pin permanently depressed.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/57451-adaptall...ification.html

Good luck.
David
04-27-2009, 07:06 PM   #3
F16

Ray, you can use either a 'K mount' or 'K-A mount' adapter, either will work on the DSLRs. With any K mount lens without an 'A' setting, you will have to press a button to 'stop down' meter at the aperture you choose, with an 'A' lens this is not necessary. Nearly all of the K-mount film cameras do not require stop down metering with non-A lenses, Pentax stupidly removed this ability in its DSLRs so any non-A lens requires that extra step in metering. So either K adapter will work, the KA adapter/KA lenses are just more convenient. Without a KA lens you also lose some other features like TTL flash metering.
04-27-2009, 11:03 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Problem Solved

QuoteOriginally posted by IS050 Quote
Ray, the Adaptall2 to M42 mount will work with your K10D, but you will need to get a Pentax M42 to K adapter. Please see this link for the modification I did on the Adaptall2 to M42 adapter to keep the pin permanently depressed.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/57451-adaptall...ification.html

Good luck.
David
David,
Thank you for the link to your neat modification to the M42 Adaptall mount. That is so simple and reversible. I think I might just go with that as it saves having to buy an Adaptall K-mount adapter which I probably would not use very often.

No problem with the Pentax M42 to K adapter - I already have one of those which I use frequently with my range of Takumars.

Problem solved. Thanks again.

04-28-2009, 03:44 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I have on order a new thing: a M42 to K mount adapter with an inner flange to hold down the pin. About time someone made one. $17 delivered.... I'll report once I have it and try it out. The guy selling them says due to lens varability some lenses won't stop all the way down, i.e. you may only get to f/11 instead of f/22
04-28-2009, 02:52 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
I have on order a new thing: a M42 to K mount adapter with an inner flange to hold down the pin. About time someone made one. $17 delivered.... I'll report once I have it and try it out. The guy selling them says due to lens varability some lenses won't stop all the way down, i.e. you may only get to f/11 instead of f/22
Yes, I agree - about time someone made one. I'll be interested to read your report.
04-28-2009, 04:17 PM   #7
F16

The adapter with flange should work fine since it's basically just replicating the action of an M42 body stopping down the lens. One thing to watch out for is that the flange isn't so large that it contacts the rear element or surrounding metal on lenses that have large, protruding rear elements. Main concern will probably be faster wide angle through short telephoto lenses, just be careful when threading the adapter onto the lenses for the first time so it doesn't damage the rear element.
04-28-2009, 04:37 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by F16 Quote
Pentax stupidly removed this ability in its DSLRs so any non-A lens requires that extra step in metering. So either K adapter will work, the KA adapter/KA lenses are just more convenient. Without a KA lens you also lose some other features like TTL flash metering.
You mean the match dial metering that use to work in my K1000?