Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-03-2009, 12:16 AM   #31
Senior Member
aCIDfire's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Czech Republic
Posts: 108
Congrats to very ncie shots Frank, I'd like to ask:

1/ All your images here were taken with AF, no MF?
2/ Can you post some "landscape" or "architecture" pictures"? I know that this lens is built especially for portrait images but when I'am taking pictures during my
photo trips I use my S-M-C 55/1.8 for all kind of images [ super sharp, perfect
bokeh]

05-03-2009, 07:33 AM   #32
Veteran Member
frank's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Singapore
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 3,202
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by aCIDfire Quote
Congrats to very ncie shots Frank, I'd like to ask:

1/ All your images here were taken with AF, no MF?
2/ Can you post some "landscape" or "architecture" pictures"? I know that this lens is built especially for portrait images but when I'am taking pictures during my
photo trips I use my S-M-C 55/1.8 for all kind of images [ super sharp, perfect
bokeh]

Thanks

And yes, all those photos were taken w/ AF. I don't have any landscape or architecture pictures, sorry. The lens wasn't mine, I borrowed from a friend just to test it out. Base on some reviews, optically this lens is even slightly better than the FA50/1.4, which optically suppose to be even better than the S-M-C 55/1.8.
05-08-2009, 08:11 AM   #33
Veteran Member




Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Copenhagen
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,845
Very impressive. And sweet shots as always
05-08-2009, 08:25 AM   #34
Pentaxian
mikeSF's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: East Bay Area, CA
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 5,519
wow, a super lens, no doubt!
and the brother and sis hugging photos are priceless!

05-08-2009, 08:35 AM   #35
Pentaxian
Digitalis's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Adelaide.
Posts: 8,525
I agree it does have a FA77 limited "look" to it's image quality...I'd say it's bokeh is just as "alcoholic" and in this case that is certainly a good thing.

having said that it obviously bears the hallmarks of the Pentax fast 50's. Even though it's optical design is unusual for a fast 55, it delivers superior results to most 50mm lenses.I feel the K (and A)50mm f/1.2 would give it a run for it's money....I know....I'm biased, I love the Pentax K 50 f/1.2 for it's sheer versatility.
05-08-2009, 09:19 AM   #36
Veteran Member
frank's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Singapore
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 3,202
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jonson PL Quote
Very impressive. And sweet shots as always
Thanks. It's a sweet lens

QuoteOriginally posted by mikeSF Quote
wow, a super lens, no doubt!
and the brother and sis hugging photos are priceless!
Yes, the lens is super. I'm glad I could capture some good moment of both kids together


QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
I agree it does have a FA77 limited "look" to it's image quality...I'd say it's bokeh is just as "alcoholic" and in this case that is certainly a good thing.

having said that it obviously bears the hallmarks of the Pentax fast 50's. Even though it's optical design is unusual for a fast 55, it delivers superior results to most 50mm lenses.I feel the K (and A)50mm f/1.2 would give it a run for it's money....I know....I'm biased, I love the Pentax K 50 f/1.2 for it's sheer versatility.
The FA77 is another excellent lens, but I do feel this DA55 is a better focal length for general portrait works on our current dSLR cameras. I just feel more comfortable w/ this one mounted.

Can't say this DA55 is a better lens than the K/A 50/1.2 'cause they are quite a bit different. But I agree, the 1.2 ones do have their merits which are hard to beat even by this gem DA* lens
05-08-2009, 02:45 PM   #37
Veteran Member
farfisa's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Toronto, Canada
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,274
I got a chance to try one out last weekend. Took some shots in the back yard with my girls--nice focal length for that--sometimes the 77 is too long (small yards in the big city).

Now my kids aren't as well behaved or as clean as Frank's, but thought I'd share anyway. My backyard is also kind of a mess...

I find it very sharp, love the bokeh, and the AF is rock solid. I did some shots at 1.4 just for the effect and the shots have a nice dreamy look to them. The chain link fence has never looked so good!

Weather sealing was a must once they got out the hose...

f/2.8:






f/2.5:


f/1.4:


f/2.5:


f/2.5:
05-10-2009, 10:02 AM   #38
Inactive Account




Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Toronto, San Diego, Seattle
Posts: 456
QuoteOriginally posted by farfisa Quote

Weather sealing was a must once they got out the hose...
Once they got the hose out, how did the weather sealing hold up?

05-10-2009, 11:02 AM   #39
Veteran Member
blende8's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Bremen, Germany
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,484
Great images!


Cat's-eye, DA55 f1.4
(not posed!)
05-10-2009, 02:42 PM   #40
Senior Member
vitalsax's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: U.S. /Miami - Florida.
Posts: 208
Please i wanna see more of it
05-10-2009, 09:46 PM   #41
Veteran Member
frank's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Singapore
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 3,202
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by farfisa Quote
I got a chance to try one out last weekend. Took some shots in the back yard with my girls--nice focal length for that--sometimes the 77 is too long (small yards in the big city).

Now my kids aren't as well behaved or as clean as Frank's, but thought I'd share anyway. My backyard is also kind of a mess...

I find it very sharp, love the bokeh, and the AF is rock solid. I did some shots at 1.4 just for the effect and the shots have a nice dreamy look to them. The chain link fence has never looked so good!

Weather sealing was a must once they got out the hose...

f
Those are very nice shots of your beautiful kids Thanks for sharing.

BTW, I counted 4 kids, those are all yours? That's great! Wish we could afford having that many kids ...
05-10-2009, 09:49 PM   #42
Veteran Member
frank's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Singapore
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 3,202
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by blende8 Quote
Great images!


Cat's-eye, DA55 f1.4
(not posed!)
Nice shot! I guess we can use the lens wide open w/o any problem at all
05-10-2009, 10:22 PM   #43
Veteran Member
Andi Lo's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Halifax, Nova Scotia
Posts: 2,925
For DA 50 + K20D owners, after firmware 1.03, did the SDM AF improve at all?
05-11-2009, 12:28 AM   #44
Veteran Member
blende8's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Bremen, Germany
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,484
We had a user meeting on Saturday and we all agreed that the AF is slow, but that the focus accuracy and sharpness at f1.4 is great.
I haven't found any difference with the new firmware.

Snapshot at night
f1.4, 1/25 s, ISO 800
05-11-2009, 02:40 AM   #45
Forum Member




Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: UK
Posts: 53
QuoteOriginally posted by frank Quote
If I were you, I'd get the K20D and DA55 I don't think the K-7 will be too big a jump from the K20D. It's still the same sensor, probably same but improved AF module ...

I'm one of those who always upgrade right after the new cameras come available. But this time I just don't have the desire anymore, mostly because K20D is such a great camera.
Well as it turns out the decision has been made for me - my wife ordered me the K20 + battery grip last week! It appears that my tactic of "not shutting up" has worked well for me - unless the K7 comes in under 800 it was always gonna be the logical choice to make. IF the K7 turns out to be something very special, I may ditch my D300 and commit fully to Pentax.

For now, I'm very excited at the prospect of the K20D turning up today (tho I'm at work so I won't be there to recieve it :0(
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
da*55/1.4, f2, k-mount, lens, pentax lens, slr lens
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Lens Testing Technique Ira Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 7 03-23-2010 03:16 PM
Please help beginner - new lens testing Lumic Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 8 01-10-2010 09:41 AM
Need help with lens testing methods JohnBee Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 4 12-24-2009 09:29 AM
Testing new lens slowpez Post Your Photos! 5 02-19-2009 03:16 PM
On Lens Testing (Or, Is This 50mm Lens Any Good?) carpents Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 18 06-21-2007 05:45 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:24 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top