Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-28-2009, 01:06 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Frank, these shots really show off the stunning portrait potential of this lens. It does look like a successor to the 85's... And your captures are superb, funny, beautiful. Nice job.

04-28-2009, 02:10 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by legacyb4 Quote
Great shots of the kids; they look very comfortable in front of the camera!

How did you find AF given all the discussion with initial impressions over speed being slow? Are you on the new firmware?

Cheers.
Thanks. The kids were very cooperative when I used this lens over the weekend. But they weren't so most time

My K20D has the latest firmware updated. For a new SDM lesn, AF is indeed a bit slow, slower than I hoped. But it's about the same as the FA43 which I use a lot. I think for portrait work it should be fast enough. But that's for me only. I wish it could focus faster than the FA*85/1.4 ...

QuoteOriginally posted by farfisa Quote
Anything that makes kids behave is worth its weight in gold!

Great shots again, Frank!

Can't wait to try one of these out on my girls!
Thanks. You'd love it on your kids, that's for sure

QuoteOriginally posted by Substitute Quote
Gorgeous kids Franck!
Extra cool shots!
Thanks. They are lovely kids indeed

QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
Frank, these shots really show off the stunning portrait potential of this lens. It does look like a successor to the 85's... And your captures are superb, funny, beautiful. Nice job.
Thanks. I'm sure this lens can perform even better in more capable hands, but I think it still has some catch up to reach the FA/A 85's level. But on our cropped sensor, I do feel this lens has better FOV than the 85s which I mostly only take head and shoulder portraits.
04-28-2009, 06:51 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Great images Frank, and you have two of the most adorable kids I have ever seen !!
04-28-2009, 07:10 PM   #19
jeffkpotter

Great lens. Spectacular children!

04-28-2009, 11:21 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Frank

thanks for the post mate... the lens looks a treat

The kids are adorable.

I just love the ones of them standing, hugging, laughing, magic moments taken of two beautiful kids.

Neil
04-28-2009, 11:29 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Frank, sooooo good to see your children again. Now you are showing the true beauty of this wonderful lens.

Da 15mm f4 is charging the same price as this Da* 55 as well. I guess I need to get this Da* 55mm when the price is right.
04-29-2009, 02:14 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Stratman Quote
Great images Frank, and you have two of the most adorable kids I have ever seen !!
Thanks And I totally agree, they are the most lovely kids we've ever seen

QuoteOriginally posted by jeffkpotter Quote
Great lens. Spectacular children!
Thanks Jeff It's a great lens indeed.

QuoteOriginally posted by nulla Quote
Frank

thanks for the post mate... the lens looks a treat

The kids are adorable.

I just love the ones of them standing, hugging, laughing, magic moments taken of two beautiful kids.

Neil
Thanks Neil. It's been a while since the last time I posted their photos. They grow way too fast. It's really fun when watch them playing together, but not fun at all when they fight against each other

QuoteOriginally posted by roentarre Quote
Frank, sooooo good to see your children again. Now you are showing the true beauty of this wonderful lens.

Da 15mm f4 is charging the same price as this Da* 55 as well. I guess I need to get this Da* 55mm when the price is right.
Thanks James Should've posted more photos, but kinda getting lazy nowadays ...

I probably would get the DA15 when the price comes down.

04-29-2009, 04:09 AM   #23
Forum Member

Finally some photos that will make people buy this lens!! Beautiful children and very good looking lens performance.....
Hmmm, FA43 or DA55.......

Cheers Frank
04-29-2009, 08:40 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by CheddarGav Quote
Finally some photos that will make people buy this lens!! Beautiful children and very good looking lens performance.....
Hmmm, FA43 or DA55.......

Cheers Frank
Thanks Ched, glad you like them

I have the same dilemma. I already got the FA43, now I'm wondering if I should get the DA*55 ...
04-30-2009, 01:29 AM   #25
Forum Member

Oh it's a dilemma eh! Did it have that quality feel about it that the limiteds have?

I have a barrel load of decisions.
Replace my *ist D with a K20D + battery grip + FA43 or DA55 OR...... wait for the mystery to be revealed and pay wayyyyyyyyyyy over the odds to have something on day of release BUT no new lens...

Common sense obviously dictates decision number 1, but common sense sometimes seems so boring...

On the other hand, this lens tempts me so!

Post more images please!
04-30-2009, 05:50 AM   #26
Veteran Member

Oh it's a dilemma eh! Did it have that quality feel about it that the limiteds have?

I have a barrel load of decisions.
Replace my *ist D with a K20D + battery grip + FA43 or DA55 OR...... wait for the mystery to be revealed and pay wayyyyyyyyyyy over the odds to have something on day of release BUT no new lens...

Common sense obviously dictates decision number 1, but common sense sometimes seems so boring...

On the other hand, this lens tempts me so!

Post more images please!
If I were you, I'd wait for the throngs to ditch their K20's to get the K-7! There are bound to be deals then!

But who likes waiting?

I bought my 43 before the Canadian price hikes. Now the 43 and the 55 are the same price--not sure which I'd choose if I were starting over.
04-30-2009, 03:34 PM   #27
Forum Member

Ha, your message sums it up: If I were you I'd wait . . . . but then who likes waiting!

I honestly think I'll end going the K20D + DA55 route, especially after last year standing in the rain with my D80 + Sigma 30mm shooting a wedding! I wouldn't want to do that too often.... and I'll just have to hope\pray the K-7 isn't too big a leap forward...
05-01-2009, 04:10 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Ha, your message sums it up: If I were you I'd wait . . . . but then who likes waiting!

I honestly think I'll end going the K20D + DA55 route, especially after last year standing in the rain with my D80 + Sigma 30mm shooting a wedding! I wouldn't want to do that too often.... and I'll just have to hope\pray the K-7 isn't too big a leap forward...
If I were you, I'd get the K20D and DA55 I don't think the K-7 will be too big a jump from the K20D. It's still the same sensor, probably same but improved AF module ...

I'm one of those who always upgrade right after the new cameras come available. But this time I just don't have the desire anymore, mostly because K20D is such a great camera.
05-02-2009, 06:24 AM   #29
Inactive Account

Great shots Frank!

(cute kids too!)

c[_]
05-02-2009, 07:05 PM   #30
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ll_coffee_lP Quote
Great shots Frank!

(cute kids too!)