Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-03-2009, 12:16 AM   #31

Congrats to very ncie shots Frank, I'd like to ask:

1/ All your images here were taken with AF, no MF?
2/ Can you post some "landscape" or "architecture" pictures"? I know that this lens is built especially for portrait images but when I'am taking pictures during my
photo trips I use my S-M-C 55/1.8 for all kind of images [ super sharp, perfect
bokeh]

05-03-2009, 07:33 AM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by aCIDfire Quote
Congrats to very ncie shots Frank, I'd like to ask:

1/ All your images here were taken with AF, no MF?
2/ Can you post some "landscape" or "architecture" pictures"? I know that this lens is built especially for portrait images but when I'am taking pictures during my
photo trips I use my S-M-C 55/1.8 for all kind of images [ super sharp, perfect
bokeh]

Thanks

And yes, all those photos were taken w/ AF. I don't have any landscape or architecture pictures, sorry. The lens wasn't mine, I borrowed from a friend just to test it out. Base on some reviews, optically this lens is even slightly better than the FA50/1.4, which optically suppose to be even better than the S-M-C 55/1.8.
05-08-2009, 08:11 AM   #33
Veteran Member

Very impressive. And sweet shots as always
05-08-2009, 08:25 AM   #34
Pentaxian

wow, a super lens, no doubt!
and the brother and sis hugging photos are priceless!

05-08-2009, 08:35 AM   #35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I agree it does have a FA77 limited "look" to it's image quality...I'd say it's bokeh is just as "alcoholic" and in this case that is certainly a good thing.

having said that it obviously bears the hallmarks of the Pentax fast 50's. Even though it's optical design is unusual for a fast 55, it delivers superior results to most 50mm lenses.I feel the K (and A)50mm f/1.2 would give it a run for it's money....I know....I'm biased, I love the Pentax K 50 f/1.2 for it's sheer versatility.
05-08-2009, 09:19 AM   #36
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jonson PL Quote
Very impressive. And sweet shots as always
Thanks. It's a sweet lens

QuoteOriginally posted by mikeSF Quote
wow, a super lens, no doubt!
and the brother and sis hugging photos are priceless!
Yes, the lens is super. I'm glad I could capture some good moment of both kids together

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
I agree it does have a FA77 limited "look" to it's image quality...I'd say it's bokeh is just as "alcoholic" and in this case that is certainly a good thing.

having said that it obviously bears the hallmarks of the Pentax fast 50's. Even though it's optical design is unusual for a fast 55, it delivers superior results to most 50mm lenses.I feel the K (and A)50mm f/1.2 would give it a run for it's money....I know....I'm biased, I love the Pentax K 50 f/1.2 for it's sheer versatility.
The FA77 is another excellent lens, but I do feel this DA55 is a better focal length for general portrait works on our current dSLR cameras. I just feel more comfortable w/ this one mounted.

Can't say this DA55 is a better lens than the K/A 50/1.2 'cause they are quite a bit different. But I agree, the 1.2 ones do have their merits which are hard to beat even by this gem DA* lens
05-08-2009, 02:45 PM   #37
Veteran Member

I got a chance to try one out last weekend. Took some shots in the back yard with my girls--nice focal length for that--sometimes the 77 is too long (small yards in the big city).

Now my kids aren't as well behaved or as clean as Frank's, but thought I'd share anyway. My backyard is also kind of a mess...

I find it very sharp, love the bokeh, and the AF is rock solid. I did some shots at 1.4 just for the effect and the shots have a nice dreamy look to them. The chain link fence has never looked so good!

Weather sealing was a must once they got out the hose...

f/2.8:

f/2.5:

f/1.4:

f/2.5:

f/2.5:

05-10-2009, 10:02 AM   #38
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by farfisa Quote

Once they got the hose out, how did the weather sealing hold up?
05-10-2009, 11:02 AM   #39
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Great images!

Cat's-eye, DA55 f1.4
(not posed!)
05-10-2009, 02:42 PM   #40
Inactive Account

Please i wanna see more of it
05-10-2009, 09:46 PM   #41
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by farfisa Quote
I got a chance to try one out last weekend. Took some shots in the back yard with my girls--nice focal length for that--sometimes the 77 is too long (small yards in the big city).

Now my kids aren't as well behaved or as clean as Frank's, but thought I'd share anyway. My backyard is also kind of a mess...

I find it very sharp, love the bokeh, and the AF is rock solid. I did some shots at 1.4 just for the effect and the shots have a nice dreamy look to them. The chain link fence has never looked so good!

f
Those are very nice shots of your beautiful kids Thanks for sharing.

BTW, I counted 4 kids, those are all yours? That's great! Wish we could afford having that many kids ...
05-10-2009, 09:49 PM   #42
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by blende8 Quote
Great images!

Cat's-eye, DA55 f1.4
(not posed!)
Nice shot! I guess we can use the lens wide open w/o any problem at all
05-10-2009, 10:22 PM   #43
Veteran Member

For DA 50 + K20D owners, after firmware 1.03, did the SDM AF improve at all?
05-11-2009, 12:28 AM   #44
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
We had a user meeting on Saturday and we all agreed that the AF is slow, but that the focus accuracy and sharpness at f1.4 is great.
I haven't found any difference with the new firmware.

Snapshot at night
f1.4, 1/25 s, ISO 800
05-11-2009, 02:40 AM   #45
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by frank Quote
If I were you, I'd get the K20D and DA55 I don't think the K-7 will be too big a jump from the K20D. It's still the same sensor, probably same but improved AF module ...

I'm one of those who always upgrade right after the new cameras come available. But this time I just don't have the desire anymore, mostly because K20D is such a great camera.
Well as it turns out the decision has been made for me - my wife ordered me the K20 + battery grip last week! It appears that my tactic of "not shutting up" has worked well for me - unless the K7 comes in under £800 it was always gonna be the logical choice to make. IF the K7 turns out to be something very special, I may ditch my D300 and commit fully to Pentax.

For now, I'm very excited at the prospect of the K20D turning up today (tho I'm at work so I won't be there to recieve it :0(