Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-28-2009, 02:25 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
tokina lens

HI, all. Have just been given a Tokina lens which of course is no good to me. It is AT-X PRO 28 - 70mm and in as new condition. I want to sell this but have no idea how much to ask. Any ideas. Even though I am in Australia I can convert to US if that is where the advice comes from.
thanks

04-28-2009, 03:12 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
We have a market place section where tou might want to offer it. Do read the rukes first.
04-28-2009, 04:43 AM   #3

Original Poster
Yes, but there I have to put a 'for sale' message. No good doing that until I have an idea of its worth.
04-28-2009, 05:40 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Don't know if yours is the same as this one (there are several versions of this lens):

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/sold-items/57169-sale-sold-tokina-x-270-a...tax-mount.html

Jackson tried to sell it here for $260 plus shipping, but nobody wanted to buy. I think he sold it locally in Singapore instead ...

Good luck.

04-28-2009, 12:03 PM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by trishytee Quote
HI, all. Have just been given a Tokina lens which of course is no good to me.
Why do you say "of course" it is no good to you? Unless you mean it isn't a Pentax mount, or you no longer use Pentax?
04-28-2009, 12:38 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Lens value depends on the optics, mount, features, modern competition and condition. Optics are easy: f2.0 is more expensive than f5.6, etc. The mount makes a big difference because of the size of the market. A Vivitar in Canon FD mount might sell for 20% of what it would sell for in Pentax K mount. Features means autofocus, electronics, filter size, tripod mounts, coatings and other items that might vary within the same lens class or optical formula. Modern competition from the Pentax FA 50mm f1.4 affects the price for all the other K-mount 50s of similar and slower speeds, but the Pentax-A 50mm f1.2 can sell for nearly 3X the price of the FA. Condition is obvious, and a fairly common lens must be in excellent shape or buyers will simply look at another copy.

Then there's smart sales technique. Several good photos should clearly show all the important parts of the lens. Amazingly, many photographers react strongly to images! The photos should be as beautiful as you can produce. Text should describe what works and what could be tested. It should be readable and every particular item specific to the lens should be spelled correctly.

For further research, try to find your lens on eBay or another large sales site. Look at prices for completed auctions but also how those auctions were presented and the information included. Your lens might have several models or one part that always breaks. In the US, eBay is a good guideline for prices on frequently sold items.
04-29-2009, 10:37 AM   #7
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
I did an ebay search: the most recent 9 lenses sold for 177.50 to 257 USD; mean probably about 210usd

Iowa Dave
04-29-2009, 10:40 PM   #8

Original Poster
Tokina Lens

Marc of course I still use my Pentax. In fact now have the K-M. But this lens is for a minolta and I think Nikon?
Thanks all for the advice, have had a little look around and a new one is over the thousand Oz dollars. Thanks for looking on Ebay for me, I have put it on the local Oztion for $600.00 if it doesn't sell I can always drop the price. thanks again for all the imput.

04-30-2009, 12:35 AM   #9
F16

QuoteOriginally posted by trishytee Quote
Marc of course I still use my Pentax. In fact now have the K-M. But this lens is for a minolta and I think Nikon?
Thanks all for the advice, have had a little look around and a new one is over the thousand Oz dollars. Thanks for looking on Ebay for me, I have put it on the local Oztion for $600.00 if it doesn't sell I can always drop the price. thanks again for all the imput.
You'll certainly get a lot more out of selling any lens if you can properly identify the lensmount in the ad, for obvious reasons. Minolta and Nikon don't use the same mount. So identifying the mount is critical if you want to get fair value in selling it.
04-30-2009, 11:31 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Maybe *Konica* Minolta.