Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-29-2009, 08:42 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Pentax DA 12-24mm Lens

Hi,

I'm really want to get the above mentioned lens. Trying to figure out what would be considered to be a fair price for this lens in used Like New Condition? I'm not worried about boxes, manuals, etc. I'm more concerned with the quality of the lens, that it be clean inside and out, nick free and still look like new.

I checked the usual sites, like ebay, keh, bhphotovideo but they seem to really vary. I even googled the lens and prices from one end to the other price spectrum.

My question is those of you that have one what have you paid in USD, which site do you trust the most?

Thank you to everyone for your insight on this.

04-29-2009, 08:53 AM   #2
Veteran Member

a few recently sold on the marketplace for ~$500
check the sold items in the marketplace and dig around
04-29-2009, 09:34 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I bought mine on e-bay several years ago. IIRC I paid about 550USD for it but I don't remember for sure. As far as a "trustworthy" site for second hand gear is concerned I'd trust KEH #1, B&H/Adorama #2, Pentax Forums Marketplace #3, and eek-bay a distant 4th. The only reason I bought from eek bay was that I knew someone who had also bought from the same person and had a good experience. I've found KEH to be slightly more expensive, but their "no questions asked" return policy makes up for it. I've bought innumerable lenses from them and have returned about 5 with absolutely no problems whatsoever.

NaCl(peace of mind is definitely worth something in my book)H2O
04-29-2009, 09:34 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I've seen them go for around $500, but a well cared for copy with all the docs and pieces ought to pull between $550 to $600.

I bought mine new back in Oct'08 for $690 and the "going rate" new right now is around $700.

04-29-2009, 09:37 AM   #5
Veteran Member

IMHO buy it new, this lens holds it's value somethign fierce and used prices are high.
04-29-2009, 10:28 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by NaClH2O Quote
I bought mine on e-bay several years ago. IIRC I paid about 550USD for it but I don't remember for sure. As far as a "trustworthy" site for second hand gear is concerned I'd trust KEH #1, B&H/Adorama #2, Pentax Forums Marketplace #3, and eek-bay a distant 4th. The only reason I bought from eek bay was that I knew someone who had also bought from the same person and had a good experience. I've found KEH to be slightly more expensive, but their "no questions asked" return policy makes up for it. I've bought innumerable lenses from them and have returned about 5 with absolutely no problems whatsoever.

NaCl(peace of mind is definitely worth something in my book)H2O
I really appreciate the suggestions on the sites. I have checked out KEH but was unsure since I have never dealt with them. Return policy can mean everything especially on used items.
Have you found their descriptions to be true. I just returned a lens from ebay because they stated mint condtion and to me that means it should look like new and act like new, this lens was not new nor did it look new.
04-29-2009, 10:50 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I bought one off the Marketplace here back in November for $525 used. Perfect condition. KEH is good to deal with (bought an old telephoto from them) and they have a 14-day return policy.

04-29-2009, 11:02 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If anything they tend to undervalue lenses

QuoteOriginally posted by stl09 Quote
I really appreciate the suggestions on the sites. I have checked out KEH but was unsure since I have never dealt with them. Return policy can mean everything especially on used items.
Have you found their descriptions to be true. I just returned a lens from ebay because they stated mint condtion and to me that means it should look like new and act like new, this lens was not new nor did it look new.
KEH's valuations are quite conservative. I've bought several "Bargin" lenses that most would consider 'normal' used. Their EX quality lenses are actually close to 'like new' condition, and their LN lenses look new to my eyes. The one caveat I have is with their BGN lenses, they may "look" good but they will sometimes have other problems not listed, loose barrels, stiff or loose focus rings etc. When I do buy a BGN lens from them I make sure to test it out thoroughly, well before their 14 day trial period is up.
BTW, their "no questions asked" is exactly that. I returned one lens with the reason "Image quality was terrible" (it was) all they said was "OK". If you ever do return a lens to them, be sure to follow their simple rules, call before sending it back, use the RMA, pack the lens well etc. On the 5 lenses I've returned (out of over 20 or so bought) I've never had a problem with them.

NaCl(good company to do business with)H2O
05-04-2009, 11:53 AM   #9
Forum Member

I've just bought this lens second-hand off the pentax market place, in person here in Toronto. $500 US.

Note that its price has sky-rocketed in Canada (same for other Pentax lenses, but definitely for this one). The seller told me he expects the new prices to also go up a lot.

So perhaps buy sooner before the new and 2nd-hand prices rise. There, you have a reason to satisfy this leg on your LBA journey .
05-04-2009, 11:54 AM   #10
Forum Member

In the above post I meant to say ... the prices in the US to also go up a lot.