Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-29-2009, 09:54 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
New 16-50mm?

The problems of the earlier DA 16-50mm F2.8 are well documented, just check out the sticky post at the beginning of this forum. I was wondering if anyone has bought a new-from-the-factory new one lately. Does the lens still have problems? Or is every copy now good?

NaCl(it's spring...of course I have LBA!)H2O

04-29-2009, 11:34 AM   #2
Veteran Member

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/57873-lens-ine...eddings-2.html

you will find a happy shopper here who has had a taste of both worlds

Neil
04-30-2009, 06:01 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I seems like the decentering issues are gone.
Most complaints these days are about front focus/back focus or softness wide open at the wider focal lengths.
I'm very happy with mine, although I had to use the debug mode on my K10D to adjust the focus.
04-30-2009, 07:55 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Some of my best images have been with the 16-50. There is a tad of distortion at 16mm which is easily corrected in PP. It has a big front element so it is also a bit hefty to carry around.

04-30-2009, 09:28 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I bought one late last year, it's fine (and also fantastic).

If it's your first DA*, avoid it like the plague, it will just make you want more of them!

Myself, I can't help but wonder if a lot of the supposed decentering issues reported were actually just people who don't know what soft corners look like.
(I'm referring to the corner softness wide open, which I actually find can be useful in helping to isolate a subject, or give a slight 3d look to an image)
04-30-2009, 09:34 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by cpopham Quote
I bought one late last year, it's fine (and also fantastic).

If it's your first DA*, avoid it like the plague, it will just make you want more of them!

Myself, I can't help but wonder if a lot of the supposed decentering issues reported were actually just people who don't know what soft corners look like.
(I'm referring to the corner softness wide open, which I actually find can be useful in helping to isolate a subject, or give a slight 3d look to an image)
The decenter claims are based on corners that are not equally sharp (or unsharp). The top right is softer than top left or vice versa.

For those who want a perfect lens, just add DxO Standard to your lens. It's magic. They let you download and try for free. Caveat - slower than molasses in January. Book a nice lunch at the Ritz when you let it loose. You don't have to watch.
05-01-2009, 11:12 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks everybody. It is what I figured. I could have wished that the decentering issues had continued, now Ive got another lens to obsess over.

NaCl( they are right! there is NO cure for LBA!)H2O

05-01-2009, 02:36 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by NaClH2O Quote
Thanks everybody. It is what I figured. I could have wished that the decentering issues had continued, now Ive got another lens to obsess over.

NaCl( they are right! there is NO cure for LBA!)H2O
Hey, old buddy, I vote you buy one - ya only live once.

Jer
05-01-2009, 03:19 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
The decenter claims are based on corners that are not equally sharp (or unsharp). The top right is softer than top left or vice versa.

For those who want a perfect lens, just add DxO Standard to your lens. It's magic. They let you download and try for free. Caveat - slower than molasses in January. Book a nice lunch at the Ritz when you let it loose. You don't have to watch.
Albert,
so what does this DxO do to DA*16-50 exactly?
Not that I don't want to try it myself, but I just hate installing too many softwares in my computer. Especially when I don't find it useful later on.
05-01-2009, 04:12 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by HermanLee Quote
Albert,
Not that I don't want to try it myself, but I just hate installing too many softwares in my computer. Especially when I don't find it useful later on.
DxO is a company specializing in measuring camera sensors and lenses, i.e. dynamic range, sharpness, chromatic abberation, distortion etc.
This means that they have accumulated a lot of knowledge about different lenses, and they apply this knowledge in DxO Optics. By analyzing the EXIF data of your image, the software applies fixes that are customized for lens, aperture, focal length, distance to subject and probably a bunch of other things. I find it particularly useful for distortion, vignetting and abberations.
05-01-2009, 04:21 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by HermanLee Quote
Albert,
See Eric's reply above. It also takes care of vignetting and the exposure fall off toward the edges and corners. Basically, it analyzes the image and its EXIF data and applies the measurements learned over testing the exact combination of lens and body. It can even correct the "mustache" distortion that lens designers use to get as close to a straight line at the edges as they can. As I said, it's magic. And slow.
05-01-2009, 06:10 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
Yes I know - what I was attempting to say, rather unclearly is that I can't help but suspect that a fair few of the dissatisfied people actually had fine 16-50s, but thought the normal corner softness that it exhibits wide open was a defect, and thus returned them.
05-01-2009, 06:20 PM   #13
Veteran Member

I just purchased a new one from B&H. received it today. Looks good to me so far, but I have only taken a handful of shots with it. The SDM seems slower than I expected, especially in dimly lit areas (not sure why that would matter vs. screw drive). Although I think that the K200D doesn't have as much juice to send to the SDM motor as the K20D...but I might be mistaken on that.
05-01-2009, 06:25 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I got a new one in March from Prodigital2000. Seems to be an excellent lens. Very soft on the corners at 16-18 mm and f2.8, but definitely no decentering and very sharp otherwise. To me, the lens seems to auto focus fairly quickly, but I am comparing it to the 50-135 and the DA 35, neither of which are speed demons.
05-01-2009, 09:35 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by cpopham Quote
Yes I know - what I was attempting to say, rather unclearly is that I can't help but suspect that a fair few of the dissatisfied people actually had fine 16-50s, but thought the normal corner softness that it exhibits wide open was a defect, and thus returned them.
I am sure that many of the lenses that were returned were fine. Many do not realize just how difficult it is to make a 16mm lens, let alone a zoom, and particularly a zoom with f/2.8 aperture.

QuoteOriginally posted by arpaagent Quote
I just purchased a new one from B&H. received it today. Looks good to me so far, but I have only taken a handful of shots with it. The SDM seems slower than I expected, especially in dimly lit areas (not sure why that would matter vs. screw drive). Although I think that the K200D doesn't have as much juice to send to the SDM motor as the K20D...but I might be mistaken on that.
The shorter the focal length, the harder it is for the lens to focus. There is not as much difference as it moves. I have the same trouble manually focusing wide lenses.

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I got a new one in March from Prodigital2000. Seems to be an excellent lens. Very soft on the corners at 16-18 mm and f2.8, but definitely no decentering and very sharp otherwise. To me, the lens seems to auto focus fairly quickly, but I am comparing it to the 50-135 and the DA 35, neither of which are speed demons.
These are my results as well. Outside in daylight, it seems quite snappy to me. In my music room with tungsten lighting ....