Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-29-2009, 11:13 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Do you service your lens & camera regularly?

I remember last time somebody quoted a Pentax rep that they should service their lenses and body regularly.

So, do you service your lenses and body regularly even if it's not broken?
If yes, how often?

I see some of my old lenses got some dust on the inside element.
If I send it for service, will they clean the inside elements or just checking the mechanical parts of the lens?

As for the body, what do they do for regular service?

It makes sense for a car but I don't know how this thing applied for electronic.
I've never sent any of my electronic gears for service unless it broke.

Love to hear your opinions or experiences!

04-29-2009, 06:19 PM   #2
Veteran Member

i too would be interested. seems like w/ digital cameras, no one goes for a CLA anymore because the cameras are so "disposable"
04-29-2009, 06:39 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

k100d hit it on the head. I have always sent my film bodies in for CLA after a year of use. Presuming all was well in the CLA, then maybe every 5 years. With my several digital cameras...use 'em 'til they die. Haven't ever sent one in..., though if I purchased one used, I'd send it in before trusting it...So digital bodies are "disposable" like a Bic lighter...no service necessary (I'm sure someone else will set me straight on this).

CLA--cleaning, lubrication and adjustment--basically means checking that everything is working at factory specs. Meter accurate, shutter accurate, mirror mechanism working correctly, seals intact, all systems functioning, plus a going over for dust and dirt...

I've sent several lenses in, but always when service was needed--slow aperture blades, screw loose, noisey focus, etc. Never sent a lens just for CLA.
04-30-2009, 05:42 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by k100d Quote
... no one goes for a CLA anymore because the cameras are so "disposable"
While I applaud those who can agree with this, I am hardly in a position where a 800-1300 dollar camera body can be considered "disposable." I consider them as a rental, deducting value from them until I buy the latest and sell the old at market value. My loss from the original purchase price is the "rent."

That said, I too have never sent in a camera body, though if I recall the latest Pentax 3 year extended warranty had one free CLA built into it. I might take them up on it.

germar

04-30-2009, 06:58 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

I don't service my equipment. If it stops working I get it repaired. When cameras had lots of mechanical parts, it made sense to send them for preventative service, but with them now being more computer than mechanical device, it just doesn't make as much sense to me to send them in when they are working.
04-30-2009, 09:21 AM   #6

The only thing I do with mine is have them professional cleaned once a year. One of our local camera stores does an excellent job.
04-30-2009, 10:46 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ron Boggs Quote
k100d hit it on the head. I have always sent my film bodies in for CLA after a year of use. Presuming all was well in the CLA, then maybe every 5 years. With my several digital cameras...use 'em 'til they die. Haven't ever sent one in..., though if I purchased one used, I'd send it in before trusting it...So digital bodies are "disposable" like a Bic lighter...no service necessary (I'm sure someone else will set me straight on this).

CLA--cleaning, lubrication and adjustment--basically means checking that everything is working at factory specs. Meter accurate, shutter accurate, mirror mechanism working correctly, seals intact, all systems functioning, plus a going over for dust and dirt...

I've sent several lenses in, but always when service was needed--slow aperture blades, screw loose, noisey focus, etc. Never sent a lens just for CLA.
dSLRs do need CLA as well. The SR system, AF system, and other parts all need adjustment over time, as well as lubrication on many parts. The owners manual for the K20D tells you in the first few pages to send it in every year or two to have it checked to make sure its up to factory specs (lens as well). Also the Pentax extended warranty gives the owner a free tune-up, which is as you say CLA and to make sure its up to factory specs. Unfortunately there are many moving parts inside a dSLR that will fall out of spec over time. Don't believe me, read the owners manual, and or call Pentax. Since I have the free tune-up I will do it, but if I did not have the free tune-up I would probably do like most and only wait till there is a problem then have it serviced. This all depends on your use, if you only put say 5000 clicks a year on your dSLR forget it and keep shooting. If your a heavy shooter like me and will have 30,000 clicks a year... CLA/tune-up should be done to keep your investment going.

05-01-2009, 03:40 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jamesm007 Quote
dSLRs do need CLA as well. The SR system, AF system, and other parts all need adjustment over time, as well as lubrication on many parts. The owners manual for the K20D tells you in the first few pages to send it in every year or two to have it checked to make sure its up to factory specs (lens as well). Also the Pentax extended warranty gives the owner a free tune-up, which is as you say CLA and to make sure its up to factory specs. Unfortunately there are many moving parts inside a dSLR that will fall out of spec over time. Don't believe me, read the owners manual, and or call Pentax. Since I have the free tune-up I will do it, but if I did not have the free tune-up I would probably do like most and only wait till there is a problem then have it serviced. This all depends on your use, if you only put say 5000 clicks a year on your dSLR forget it and keep shooting. If your a heavy shooter like me and will have 30,000 clicks a year... CLA/tune-up should be done to keep your investment going.
I think I fall on the first category with less than 5000 clicks a year
Does it mean I don't shoot enough?
My wife has been complaining of me shooting too much

So it sounds like nobody has sent their DSLR body/lens for service unless it's still under warranty.