Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-29-2009, 12:27 PM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by deadwolfbones Quote
As I understand it, the Tamron is nearly identical to the Pentax (same optical formula, just different coatings and exterior).
QuoteOriginally posted by veezchick Quote
I could not find enough reviews on the rebranded Pentax (same lens - just different coatings).
The coatings are the same.

04-29-2009, 12:30 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
For comparison's sake I just uploaded a smattering of photos I made last year with the DA18-250 and K10/K20. No claim that they are particularly great, but should give you an idea of what IQ to expect...

DA18-250/3.5-6.3
04-29-2009, 12:40 PM   #18
Veteran Member

The 18-250 is a compromise, but I think it should be at least on par or better than the 18-55 it replaced (for me). I love using the 18-250mm when traveling, as I don't have to keep switching lenses. The image quality is good enough; I made a pretty decent print of the Himeji Castle in Japan last summer. It's a bit soft on the corners, but I have yet to see a viewer press their nose against the 8x11 print and then tell me they notice that the image is soft in the corners...

Contrast is a bit lacking compared to better, non-superzooms, but that can be mostly made up for in post.

04-29-2009, 12:44 PM   #19
Veteran Member

I fear it might very well be the last - standards far too high
As I said and Ben echoes, I *really* doubt this is the issue if you're happy with the 18-55. The 18-55 is fine for what it is, but it's not obviously better than the 18-250. If you are seeing any noticeable difference at all in sharpness or contrast, something is very wrong.

QuoteQuote:
- in which case I'm doomed to shell out big bucks for an expensive prime lens and/or switch to a system that has better quality zooms available
The Tamron 18-250 is pretty much universally considered the best superzoom, period. There are no much better superzooms available for Canon or Nikon - the people wanting superzooms for those cameras are buying the Tamron, too. Well, some might be fans of the new Sigma 18-250 or Tamron 18-270, but those are or may soon be available for Pentax, too.

04-29-2009, 12:54 PM   #20
Veteran Member

I also have this lens. As a carry around it makes great addition to any kit. If you understand the limitations of the lens you are able to take some good images with it.

18mm

250mm (JPG extracted from RAW)

250mm cropped
04-29-2009, 12:59 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Um ... I don't know what you mean
It's sharp enough wide open, you don't have to stop down liek crazy. It helps but it's not as big a leap as i see with other lenses.
04-29-2009, 01:05 PM   #22
Banned

But, um ... the lens is the basis of this thread.

I could not find enough reviews on the rebranded Pentax (same lens - just different coatings) or see any award winnings to justify the price difference I found at the time of purchase. As for bypassing Pentax's own DA lens, that's not an issue. My Sigma outshines all the Pentax lenses in my arsenal. Had they had a zoom in the price and focal length ranges I wanted at the time of purchase, things would be different. Regardless, my Tamron is not living up to its hype and awards and my goal is to find out why - and fix it. Thanks.
I understand the basis of this thread however I still fail to see why you would say: "This is enough to make a P-shooter consider the availability, dependability and versatility of a Canon system. Sigh."

04-29-2009, 01:19 PM   #23
Veteran Member

While we're battering equine mammals - here's some really good examples from the lens on PPG
04-29-2009, 01:32 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Sounds like something's wrong with the lens to me--your methods all sound good. Maybe something misaligned in there?

If you're taking landscapes at infinity, maybe make sure your lens isn't going past infinity--that'd make your pics soft for sure. Some of my old screw-mount glass does that, but haven't seen it on a new lens.

While you have your lens on the tripod, maybe try stopping down to f/8 and tweaking the focus while zoomed in in live view on the K20. Once you see the image become sharp (well, pixellated) take the pic.

The Pentax version, as has been said, is a rebadged version of yours. One thing the Pentax would have over the Tamron is the SMC lens coating, which helps with contrast, so it would have closer colouring and contrast to the kit lens.
04-29-2009, 01:34 PM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by farfisa Quote
The Pentax version, as has been said, is a rebadged version of yours. One thing the Pentax would have over the Tamron is the SMC lens coating, which helps with contrast, so it would have closer colouring and contrast to the kit lens.
You sure? ......
04-29-2009, 01:35 PM   #26
Banned

QuoteQuote:
If you're taking landscapes at infinity, maybe make sure your lens isn't going past infinity--that'd make your pics soft for sure. Some of my old screw-mount glass does that, but haven't seen it on a new lens.
thats odd because being able to go past infinity is a common trait of modern AF lenses, not manual lenses.
04-29-2009, 01:38 PM   #27
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Alfisti Quote
You sure? ......
its very unlikely that Pentax would let Tamron use its proprietary lens coating on Tamron lenses, especially since the lens would be manufactured in a number of mounts. its likely a Hoya or Tamron multi-coating. but not SMC
04-29-2009, 01:53 PM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
its very unlikely that Pentax would let Tamron use its proprietary lens coating on Tamron lenses...
Correct.

But what if Pentax just re-badges the lens as is? That is, Pentax lens has Tamron coating.

SMC is Pentax's trademark. It can call anything SMC.

Compare the two lenses and see if you can tell the difference in coatings.
04-29-2009, 02:02 PM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
its very unlikely that Pentax would let Tamron use its proprietary lens coating on Tamron lenses, especially since the lens would be manufactured in a number of mounts. its likely a Hoya or Tamron multi-coating. but not SMC
Eh? It's a Tamron design not a Pentax design and I don't think SMC is written anywhere. My biggest gripe is colour and contrast which is why i feel it is not SMC.
04-29-2009, 02:08 PM   #30
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by SOldBear Quote
Correct.

But what if Pentax just re-badges the lens as is? That is, Pentax lens has Tamron coating.

SMC is Pentax's trademark. It can call anything SMC.

Compare the two lenses and see if you can tell the difference in coatings.
I don't own the lenses, how would I compare? and why on earth would Pentax not put SMC coatings on an SMC labeled lens? Pentax has the rights to the optical design and I can only assume the basic body design. they bought the rights though for the optical design. after that its all Pentax. including SMC coating. if you buy the Tamron version you get a possible Hoya/Tamron (I am assuming a tamron) coating regardless of mount. if you get a pentax version you get SMC. considering Tamron has just developed its BBAR coating for the 60mm macro, I think its safe to say that Tamron has its own very capable coatings and Pentax has its own very capable caotings. there is no evidence to suggest otherwise.