Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-29-2009, 01:53 PM   #1
Forum Member

Question of Voigtlander Nokton 58mm f/1.4

Hi guys,

I set the aperture ring as A (auto) and use the camera to control the aperture. But I found something strange, that is, when I shoot indoor, the picture took at f/1.4 is darker than those took at f/2.8 or f/4. Is this normal?

Thanks.

04-29-2009, 03:07 PM   #2
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I had that lens and found it too difficult for me to focus so I traded it. (not a lens problem, more of a 50+ year old eye problem) I did notice, however, that there was a distinct difference in contrast between wide open and stopped down. Could this be what you are seeing? Indoor shots would typically be less contrasty to start with than most outdoor shots so the difference may be even more noticeable. If I took a picture with mine at, say f1.4 and 1/250th that picture would appear darker than the same shot at f2.0 and 1/125th.

EDIT to Add: I would not have let this lens go if not for my difficulty in focusing. The IQ and speed of the lens more than compensated for a little light falloff or contrast loss wide open. They are fantastic lenses.

Last edited by Parallax; 04-29-2009 at 03:13 PM.
04-29-2009, 03:25 PM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks Parallax, I think what you said about contract may be the issue, as outdoor shooting is completely fine. The focus can be difficult if you only use the viewfinder, but the camera can indicate if the object is focused. So far, I quite like this lens in terms of image quality and build quality.
04-29-2009, 05:13 PM   #4
Pentaxian

The Nokton really doesn't come into it's own until about f/4, at which point it is a pretty good lens.
I'm pretty sure I won't be keeping mine now that I have the DA*55/1.4, as it comes into it's own at about f/1.8 and then goes from really good to you can cut yourself with it, it's that sharp by f/8, and has much better flare control as well (the really deep hood helps, I am sure).
I've had mine for 6 weeks and we still haven't had a decent day where I can go out and play with it.