Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-30-2009, 09:46 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
I think this is a situation where they have put a high failure rate component into the lens, and the customers are now seeing the result.
I completely agree. I have a feeling that I'll get back a new lens that will fail again after a year, but then it will be out of warranty. As many have said; I wish that Pentax allowed in software to switch from SDM to the screw drive.

04-30-2009, 02:03 PM   #17
Veteran Member

I had a similar problem a week or so back -

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/56943-da-50-13...t-bad-one.html

I sent the lens back and got a replacement that is working perfectly.

The first lens was dire, whether it had been dropped or was the result of poor quality control I can't tell, but for that kind of money it was a bad experience of buying Pentax.
I know the other manufacturers also have problems, but getting 'crap' out of the box does inevitably influence future purchases.
04-30-2009, 02:04 PM   #18
nah

Photos: Gallery
Wow, I've never experienced this with my copy but I'm worried now that this issue has come up for others. Luckily there's a 2 year warranty in Canada for this, but that still isn't enough as sometimes these things take a while to fail, depending how much you use it.

My K20D is off for repairs right now, so it'll be at least 4 weeks without using this lens. So I'll see if it does this without using it for that time.
04-30-2009, 02:09 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by nah Quote
Wow, I've never experienced this with my copy but I'm worried now that this issue has come up for others. Luckily there's a 2 year warranty in Canada for this, but that still isn't enough as sometimes these things take a while to fail, depending how much you use it.

My K20D is off for repairs right now, so it'll be at least 4 weeks without using this lens. So I'll see if it does this without using it for that time.
What is wrong with your k20d? So far I haven't had problems with Pentax bodies, but all of my problems have been with Pentax DA* lenses.

04-30-2009, 02:18 PM   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I wonder if part of the problem is with your camera, since you've had so many problems with the DA* 16-50 as well. Besides contacts, I don't have a theory about what that camera problem is, and it's too late for my theory to help. The SDM interaction between lens and camera is much more complex than just power. Complex systems fail in peculiar ways.
04-30-2009, 03:44 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
I wonder if part of the problem is with your camera, since you've had so many problems with the DA* 16-50 as well. Besides contacts, I don't have a theory about what that camera problem is, and it's too late for my theory to help. The SDM interaction between lens and camera is much more complex than just power. Complex systems fail in peculiar ways.
It is not the camera. All of my 16-50 problems were optical, and all of my 50-135 problems have been SDM.
04-30-2009, 05:21 PM   #22
nah

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by PentaxPoke Quote
What is wrong with your k20d? So far I haven't had problems with Pentax bodies, but all of my problems have been with Pentax DA* lenses.
The problem with my K20D body was that the back dial, began to squeak (like old hardwood floors) and not scroll smoothly. It still worked, but was quite annoying so I sent it back.
04-30-2009, 05:34 PM   #23
Site Supporter

It is not the camera. All of my 16-50 problems were optical, and all of my 50-135 problems have been SDM.
I completely agree. I have a feeling that I'll get back a new lens that will fail again after a year, but then it will be out of warranty. As many have said; I wish that Pentax allowed in software to switch from SDM to the screw drive.
I too had a DA*16-50 replaced under warranty for optical problems, but I also had a DA*50-135 replaced at my expense, for SDM failure, JUST after the one-year U.S. warranty expired.

First, it IS ridiculous that Pentax only provides such a minimal warranty compared to other lens makers. Second, you would certainly expect that these DA* lenses, the current "top of the line" for Pentax, would display better quality control.

The wish for a firmware update to enable screw-drive OR SDM option, has been expressed elsewhere. I know of one other person who has e-mailed Ned Bunnell regarding such an update, and I have also recently done so. (Diplomatically worded, of course.) Haven't heard anything back yet, but perhaps if more of us expressed our concerns something would be done.

IIRC, the first firmware edition of the K10D operated the screw-drive on SDM lenses, but in subsequent updates that capability was deleted in favor of SDM. So the cameras DO have the capability, and so do the lenses, all it would take is the firmware update.

If I could simply use a menu option to switch to screw-drive any time I wanted, I wouldn't worry so much about whether or not the SDM on my replacement DA*50-135 will fail in another year.
Paul

04-30-2009, 05:59 PM   #24
Veteran Member

What's considered slow? Can anyone make a video of a normal working 50-135 so I can compare it to mine?
04-30-2009, 06:15 PM   #25
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MShawn63 Quote
I had a similiar experience recently with my 50-135 after it sat for most of the winter. In my case cleaning the contacts and remounting did not work. While it focused fine in manual mode the auto-focus no longer worked. I sent it back to Pentax and instead of repairing it they just replaced it for me. The new lens works really well so far.
Same experience here. I sent it back to PentaxUSA and they sent me a new one (or maybe a reconditioned one - they were not clear).

Based on the number of replies with this same experience I am guessing that this is not an isolated problem.
04-30-2009, 06:56 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Try this:

Point your lens upward--or opposite to the direction it was stored in. Turn the focusing mechanism manually from infinity to closest point and back, couple of times.

I'm not kidding, either. Tell me, if it works. Only gravity was acting on your lens (and the motor lubricants inside, etc.) while it was stored:

Did you store your lens vertically? Perhaps, the motor lubricant seeps due to gravity, or something gets loosened over time. I bet gravity will work magic for you.

Last edited by asdf; 04-30-2009 at 08:28 PM.
04-30-2009, 07:04 PM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by panoguy Quote
I wasn't terribly impressed with the Pentax 17-70 SDM and got the Sigma (while louder, it is faster and quite crisp), and I really wonder why it seems I'm "expecting too much" from this now $1700 CDN lens! (If I had paid that price, I'd expect it to at least equal an "L series" in performance.)

1. The Sigma (I'm guessing you're talking about Sigma 17-70) is slower where it actually matters: at the long end.
2. DA 17-70 sells for $750 CAD at Aden Camera. (Were you referring to a different lens?)

Last edited by asdf; 04-30-2009 at 07:20 PM.
04-30-2009, 07:21 PM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by irish_spring Quote
I sent it back to PentaxUSA and they sent me a new one (or maybe a reconditioned one - they were not clear).
Check the serial number.
04-30-2009, 07:21 PM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by figmental1978 Quote
What's considered slow? Can anyone make a video of a normal working 50-135 so I can compare it to mine?
Click the youtube link in my sig.
04-30-2009, 08:00 PM   #30
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The SDM quit on mine as well a few weeks after the warranty period ended. Sent it to Pentax and they offered and then sent a refurb as if it were still in warranty.