Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-03-2010, 07:28 PM   #91
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sandpipe Quote
My 50-135 also is exhibiting this required 5 minute wakeup time before auto-focus starts working. Spinning the focus ring does not help me get it to work any quicker.

I bought my lens over a year ago but it was on a credit card. I hope it is the one I have that doubles the manufacturer's warranty.

I think Pentax should do a recall on this defective lens. Are there any stats on what percentage have this problem?
Mine needs about a 1 minute wake up time. I just mount it, keep my hand on the shutter button, and wait about a minute or 2 for the SDM to kick in. Being out of warranty, I am certainly not spending a dime to get this fixed by Pentax. If it completely fails, I'll decide what to do at that time, unless Pentax does the right thing by then and fixes these lenses out of warranty at no charge.

As it stands, I still love the 50-135 and can deal with the 1-2 minute wake up time. I still love the range. I still love the IQ. I still love having the weather sealing.

03-03-2010, 08:43 PM   #92
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jeffrey r Quote
Mine needs about a 1 minute wake up time. I just mount it, keep my hand on the shutter button, and wait about a minute or 2 for the SDM to kick in. Being out of warranty, I am certainly not spending a dime to get this fixed by Pentax. If it completely fails, I'll decide what to do at that time, unless Pentax does the right thing by then and fixes these lenses out of warranty at no charge.

As it stands, I still love the 50-135 and can deal with the 1-2 minute wake up time. I still love the range. I still love the IQ. I still love having the weather sealing.
Jeff,
You might still try contacting Pentax support and letting them know about this problem. It is well documented now, and maybe they will do something for you if you ask nicely (and firmly) enough.

How many people out there also have problems, but don't report it because it is out of warranty? This may be why Pentax seems to think there isn't a problem.
03-03-2010, 11:01 PM   #93
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Since the gear appears to be made out of some sort of rubber, could it be that it's sticking? Also if there are lubrication, maybe the sludge slows down the gears? Not sure.
03-04-2010, 08:11 AM   #94
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by PentaxPoke Quote
Jeff,
You might still try contacting Pentax support and letting them know about this problem. It is well documented now, and maybe they will do something for you if you ask nicely (and firmly) enough.

How many people out there also have problems, but don't report it because it is out of warranty? This may be why Pentax seems to think there isn't a problem.
I hear ya. I have a note at work with me with the Serial # of my lens written on it, for when I decide to reach out to Pentax. A fact working against me is that I picked the lens up used off of ebay (it was like-new though), so I have found that if you mention "used" to these companies, they instantly go into shut-down mode. I wouldn't volunteer that fact, but it might get to that point. We'll see what happens--but as long as it doesn't fail outright, I can likely continue to live with the wake-up procedure.

03-19-2010, 08:26 AM   #95

Folks, I thought I would bring back this fun (?) thread as a follow-up to a previous post:

Brought the second one to Pentax Canada's service dept. yesterday (I work 2 blocks away). Was hoping to meet Stephen Ho to discuss the matter with him but again, I was told he was on vacation... (I really want to work for Pentax Canada... they seem to have unparalleled benefits!!!!)
In a nutshell, here's how it went:
Gene: G'day, I am here to bring back the 50-135 that you replaced for me in October 2009, it has the same issue now, I need to keep my finger on the AF button for at least 5 minutes for it to wake-up and start focusing...
Pentax Dude: Mmm... let's see. Never heard this before...
Gene: Oh please! this is the replacement for a lens I brought you in October with the same issue....
PD: Ah. Yes. Remember now... We have couple of these...
PD: When you purchased lens?
Gene: The original, in December of 2007.
PD: Ah! This not covered with Warranty!
Gene: You're joking, right? This lens is not even 6 months old!!! (trying to stay calm...)
PD: No no! Warranty from original lens purchase only. Now expired!
Gene: (biting my tongue!) Serioulsy, this is my second failure, same model, same issue, now on a different body. Can you do something?
PD: You asking for goodwill warranty?
Gene: Not only "me asking" but Pentax should provide an extended warranty on these!
PD: Me not allowed to offer, you must request...
Gene (getting red in the face): Me wholeheartedly, firmly and unequivocally ASKING for a goodwill warranty!
PD: OK Sir, me see what I can do, will call you with results...
Gene: Thank you! BTW, I really love the optics, it is flawless, so I'd prefer you fix it rather than relpace it this time.
PD: Yes, 50-135 optics very good, but SDM not so good... (then, as he was looking at my 16-50): For 16-50, SDM OK, but optically, not so good...
Gene (now looking totally baffled!): OK, thanks for the insight... Ciao!
Will keep you posted....
Gene
03-19-2010, 08:48 AM   #96
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by xGene Quote
Folks, I thought I would bring back this fun (?) thread as a follow-up to a previous post:

PD: Yes, 50-135 optics very good, but SDM not so good... (then, as he was looking at my 16-50): For 16-50, SDM OK, but optically, not so good...
Will keep you posted....
Gene
16-50 optically not so good????????????? I guess he must be referring to the misaligned lenses that passed through QC. Mine is optically very good. 50-135 is optically excellent.
03-19-2010, 09:45 AM   #97

At that point, I just wanted to walk away, without asking for details.... But you are probably right. My 16-50 (bought a new one 1 year ago after selling my first copy ~1.5 years ago) is OK, except for the not so stellar perfomance at 16mm. I use auto abberation correction on the K-7 when I use it at the focal.
03-19-2010, 05:29 PM   #98
Veteran Member

Original Poster
At that point, I just wanted to walk away, without asking for details.... But you are probably right. My 16-50 (bought a new one 1 year ago after selling my first copy ~1.5 years ago) is OK, except for the not so stellar perfomance at 16mm. I use auto abberation correction on the K-7 when I use it at the focal.
It is so ironic to hear that even Pentax service knows the "score" if asked privately.

I agree with the statement that the 16-50 IQ is not as good. (The 50-135 conversely is outstanding). Yes the 16-50 had decentering (I had 3). But even if you get a working copy, the edge sharpness is poor. The Tamron is vastly better at the edges. Center sharpness is excellent on the 16-50. So if you want an excellent manual focus portrait lens, the 16-50 would be great.

03-29-2010, 05:56 AM   #99

QuoteOriginally posted by PentaxPoke Quote
It is so ironic to hear that even Pentax service knows the "score" if asked privately.

I agree with the statement that the 16-50 IQ is not as good. (The 50-135 conversely is outstanding). Yes the 16-50 had decentering (I had 3). But even if you get a working copy, the edge sharpness is poor. The Tamron is vastly better at the edges. Center sharpness is excellent on the 16-50. So if you want an excellent manual focus portrait lens, the 16-50 would be great.
And I agree with your assessment. The 16-50 is totally useable but I am ending-up doing much more PP than I'd like too when used at wide angle. My corners and edges are always soft between 16-18mm (albeit evenly so) and CA is atrocious, no matter what aperture I use. I am Seriously considering the Tamron. I am using the focal range heavily and I am tired of having to compromise... What is the most ovious weakness on your Tamron (if any)?

Gene
03-29-2010, 10:18 AM   #100
Veteran Member

Original Poster
And I agree with your assessment. The 16-50 is totally useable but I am ending-up doing much more PP than I'd like too when used at wide angle. My corners and edges are always soft between 16-18mm (albeit evenly so) and CA is atrocious, no matter what aperture I use. I am Seriously considering the Tamron. I am using the focal range heavily and I am tired of having to compromise... What is the most ovious weakness on your Tamron (if any)?

Gene
I started two threads on this very topic, that might be helpful to you:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/35735-da*16-50...-round-ii.html

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/29218-tamron-1...throwdown.html
03-29-2010, 12:03 PM   #101

Thanks PentaxPoke for the links. Yep. Looks like my 16-50 behave like yours did. I don't think it's a decetering issue since the softness and CA is very much evenly distributed around the frame. Pitty. I really believe now this is a caracteristic of this model.
On the other hand, your Tamron looks really good at the edges, even at 17mm.

decisions, decisions... (And $$$)

Gene
03-29-2010, 12:17 PM   #102

Got my 50-135 repaired!

Brought the second one to Pentax Canada's service dept. yesterday (I work 2 blocks away). Was hoping to meet Stephen Ho to discuss the matter with him but again, I was told he was on vacation... (I really want to work for Pentax Canada... they seem to have unparalleled benefits!!!!)
In a nutshell, here's how it went:
Gene: G'day, I am here to bring back the 50-135 that you replaced for me in October 2009, it has the same issue now, I need to keep my finger on the AF button for at least 5 minutes for it to wake-up and start focusing...
Pentax Dude: Mmm... let's see. Never heard this before...
Gene: Oh please! this is the replacement for a lens I brought you in October with the same issue....
PD: Ah. Yes. Remember now... We have couple of these...
PD: When you purchased lens?
Gene: The original, in December of 2007.
PD: Ah! This not covered with Warranty!
Gene: You're joking, right? This lens is not even 6 months old!!! (trying to stay calm...)
PD: No no! Warranty from original lens purchase only. Now expired!
Gene: (biting my tongue!) Serioulsy, this is my second failure, same model, same issue, now on a different body. Can you do something?
PD: You asking for goodwill warranty?
Gene: Not only "me asking" but Pentax should provide an extended warranty on these!
PD: Me not allowed to offer, you must request...
Gene (getting red in the face): Me wholeheartedly, firmly and unequivocally ASKING for a goodwill warranty!
PD: OK Sir, me see what I can do, will call you with results...
Gene: Thank you! BTW, I really love the optics, it is flawless, so I'd prefer you fix it rather than relpace it this time.
Will keep you posted....
Gene

Ok, so I picked-up my repaired 50-135 today before lunch and spent lunch time playing with it on the K7. First observation: SO MUCH FASTER to focus than before, and the focusing ring is smoother as well, but not much. This is not only in my head (I am known to be OCD sometimes...) the difference in focusing speed is that obvioous. Focus is spot on. I think this is how it should have been from the start.
The repair slip says that they replaced the Motor and Gear Plate assembly. Perhaps this comes in one piece. But the fact that the focusing ring is also smoother to operate might indicate the clutch mechanism has something to do with that as well.

The big question is: How long will it last?? I am giving it a big workout on Easter week-end, going to Niagara-on-the Lake for 2 days.

Wish me luck!

Gene

PS: just wanted to also say that I am happy with the way Pentax Canada handled this for me. They charge me only for the parts (they did not had to) and it took less than a week after I approved the estimate... Not bad.

Last edited by xGene; 03-29-2010 at 12:23 PM. Reason: added PS
03-29-2010, 03:14 PM   #103
Loyal Site Supporter

Ok, so I picked-up my repaired 50-135 today before lunch and spent lunch time playing with it on the K7. First observation: SO MUCH FASTER to focus than before, and the focusing ring is smoother as well, but not much. This is not only in my head (I am known to be OCD sometimes...) the difference in focusing speed is that obvioous. Focus is spot on. I think this is how it should have been from the start.
The repair slip says that they replaced the Motor and Gear Plate assembly. Perhaps this comes in one piece. But the fact that the focusing ring is also smoother to operate might indicate the clutch mechanism has something to do with that as well.

The big question is: How long will it last?? I am giving it a big workout on Easter week-end, going to Niagara-on-the Lake for 2 days.

Wish me luck!

Gene

PS: just wanted to also say that I am happy with the way Pentax Canada handled this for me. They charge me only for the parts (they did not had to) and it took less than a week after I approved the estimate... Not bad.
My 50-135 came back from Pentax Canada (on the second try) with the same parts exchange as yours, and seems faster to me also. I don't know if it was this fast when it was new, though. Gradual changes can creep up without being noticed.

On the other hand, if my AF fails again, there is a neat option available. Check it out here:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/92900-f-1-7x-a...-50-135-a.html
03-29-2010, 03:26 PM   #104
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Ben posted that the motor replaced in his 16-50mm was a new generation
03-30-2010, 01:31 AM   #105
Veteran Member

Hm, I was just about to buy a used 50-135 for $540, but after reading (again) all these issues... I think I don't want to risk an SDM failure. Instead I'll save some money and buy Sigma 50-150 HSM with 3 year warranty.