Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-04-2009, 05:45 PM   #46
Veteran Member

What pisses me off is that I forever pondered over whether to get the 77 LTD, the 70 LTD or the 50-135DA*. I went with the 77 LTD. Once the price increases were announced I also went for the 50-135 and was happy with my decission. Now I read this thread. Pisses me off!...(At least I have the 77 for backup for when my 50-135 will be in the shop!)

05-04-2009, 06:25 PM   #47
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by beaumont Quote
What pisses me off is that I forever pondered over whether to get the 77 LTD, the 70 LTD or the 50-135DA*. I went with the 77 LTD. Once the price increases were announced I also went for the 50-135 and was happy with my decission. Now I read this thread. Pisses me off!...(At least I have the 77 for backup for when my 50-135 will be in the shop!)
Well don't be upset, enjoy that lens! You'll probably be one of the MAJORITY of owners who have had no problems. Really. Just be cognizant of your warranty period. There have been a lot of posts from those with problems but for all I know we are the "vocal minority." Repeat after me,
"The glass is half full"!
Paul
05-04-2009, 07:09 PM   #48
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I must've received a really good version cuz I dropped mine during a wedding (sorry!! I know I know!!) and it survived. Not only that, it took that lickin' and kept on tickin'!!... but now I treat it like someone else's infant. Might have to buy a baby stroller for it too.

Still one of my best lenses to date. Makes my pictures look pro

I bought mine in October of last year (2008), though. No problems so far.
05-04-2009, 07:20 PM   #49

This thread is concerning, as I just received mine this past friday. I have not had any problems with my K20D. However, using it with the kenko pz-af 1.5x teleplus shq teleconverter is another story. I did not have alot of time to test it this weekend, but when I did try it. There was a serious problem with autofocus locking in. Not sure what I am going to do with that issue, but other than that. I have been pretty happy.

05-04-2009, 07:26 PM   #50
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by NeverSatisfied Quote
Obviously based on your flippant remarks thoughout the thread, YOU haven't been affected by any of these problems. Luck of the draw! So according to your theory then if we all became better photographers like you, Pentax's quality control problem would just simply disappear...
1. There are bigger tragedies in the world than a lens motor failing. So there's no need for hysterics, but I do agree it is a "bad thing." I was spooked myself by all the reports of DA* zooms failing and I hadn't purchased one.
2. I was serious about the potential fix.
3. I misinterpreted panoguy's post.
05-08-2009, 03:42 AM   #51

I've bought DA 50-135/2.8 six monthes ago. Autofocus has stopped working and lenses were replaced with new by the local seller

The replaced lenses (s/n 9007513) are loosing ability to stop autofocus from time to time. Seems that autofocus works only first time on the new charged accumulators.

I've asked to replace it again but local seller refused me because of some minor scratches on the lens hood mount.

I've found some notice about serial numbers starting from 900... but there is no explanation - is it good or bad :-(

How do you think - does it make sense to send lenses to the pentax service center? Or buy Sigma and stop playing lottery with 50-135? The problem is that nearest service is in the StPeterburg, Russia and there is a lot of bad responces from users about it. Will Canadian service center accept lenses from Ukraine with blank warranty card?
05-08-2009, 12:51 PM   #52

Just to add more mystery to this situation:
I have the 50-135 for a few months now and the auto focus is hesitant when I first use the lens after a few days of inactivity. Feels like the SDM is not producing enough torque to move the focusing assembly. It takes a few minutes for the system to work normally like if the motor is "warming-up".

With a twist:

I have two K20D bodies. This problem occurs with only one of the 2 bodies as if one is producing more power or voltage than the other... I have switched batteries, battery grip, recharged them, etc... no difference, always on the same body!

05-08-2009, 12:57 PM   #53
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Carefully clean all the contacts on the wonky camera and see if things improve. It worked on my K10D. Pay particular attention to the SDM/Power Zoom contacts in the camera body. They just sit there oxidizing when you do not have an SDM or Power Zoom lens on the camera.
05-11-2009, 07:05 AM   #54

Thanks Canada_Rockies.

Tried it during the week-end, did not work... Mmmm.
I just moved to Ontario and now working right next to the Pentax Head Office in Mississauga (Argentia Avenue). I think I will pay a visit to Mr. Stephen Ho with both the lens and Body...

Will keep you posted.

xGene
05-11-2009, 07:43 AM   #55
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hey xGene, talk about a serendipitous move! Keep us all posted.
05-20-2009, 05:04 PM   #56
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I just got back my DA* in the mail today from Pentax service. I was very happy to see that they had replaced the lens. I was also pleasantly surprised that they gave me a new warranty on this lens that starts today!

So far the lens works perfectly. Focus is fast and accurate (for a DA* 50-135). I can really tell the difference from my old lens. I am hoping that they replaced it with a model that won't develop the same problem, but at least for now I am happy.

Can't wait to see how it works on a K-7.
05-20-2009, 05:08 PM   #57
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by PentaxPoke Quote
I just got back my DA* in the mail today from Pentax service. I was very happy to see that they had replaced the lens. I was also pleasantly surprised that they gave me a new warranty on this lens that starts today!

So far the lens works perfectly. Focus is fast and accurate (for a DA* 50-135). I can really tell the difference from my old lens. I am hoping that they replaced it with a model that won't develop the same problem, but at least for now I am happy.

Can't wait to see how it works on a K-7.
I wish you--and myself, since now I have two SDM lenses and an HSM to toy with--good luck.

Update us when it breaks again.
05-22-2009, 11:25 AM   #58

Photos: Gallery
here is a link to a video i sent in with my 16-50 detailing the issues it was having.

YouTube - pentax 16-50 Lens test

the 50-135 in the video is my new 50-135...the first one was replaced due to total SDM failure after 7 months

pentax replaced my 16-50, but i was 2 for 2 with SDM lens failures with my first two DA star lenses
06-10-2009, 11:34 PM   #59

well, with one week to go on warranty I've put my 50-135 in for repair citing this exact problem. I've had the issue pretty much from new, however it was less annoying in the beginning.. certainly over time its gotten much worse, to where the point on a recent business trip to NY it became unbearable.

The behavior is like the motor takes a minute two to "warm" up, then once its warm its fine... stop using the lens for more than a few minutes and I spend a minute or two pressing AF to unstick the SDM again.

Same problem on two different cameras, a GX10 and a K20d... tried cleaning the contacts, no change.

Will let you know how it goes.
06-11-2009, 01:16 AM   #60
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Maybe it's time for someone opening up this lens and see what the actual problem is. Cracked plastic gear on the motor? Cheaply made motor w/o enough torque? The lack of juice due to poor soldering? Substandard or dirty inner contacts? Or simply poorly assembled barrels? I feel strongly that it was a QC issue in the factory.