Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-30-2009, 04:38 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I'm on the 40mm side of this if you have to pick just one. See below.

It's a gorgeous lens and very sharp wide open (so the relatively slower maximum aperture isn't as big a drawback as it might seem). Particularly, it's very consistently sharp across the entire frame -- photozone.de says that that the 50mm beats the 40mm slightly for center sharpness at f/2.8, but the 40mm is considerably better at the edges.

But of course sharpness isn't everything. It also has very low chromatic aberration, and really nice rendering (including smooth bokeh). And outside of image quality: extremely fast autofocus. (I have no empirical data, but I'm pretty sure that it's the fastest-focusing lens in the entire Pentax lineup.

But really, the two lenses are different-enough focal lengths that they're not in direct competition. I've got my 40mm on my camera 90% of the time and rarely reach for my 50mm. I have an older manual-focus 50mm, so admittedly that's part of it but mostly it's the focal length. And the fact that I can trust the lens to give flawless images if I'm doing the right thing. (Which usually I'm not, but hey it's good to be clear on where the fault lies.)

05-01-2009, 12:26 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by mattdm Quote
I'm on the 40mm side of this if you have to pick just one. See below.

It's a gorgeous lens and very sharp wide open (so the relatively slower maximum aperture isn't as big a drawback as it might seem). Particularly, it's very consistently sharp across the entire frame -- photozone.de says that that the 50mm beats the 40mm slightly for center sharpness at f/2.8, but the 40mm is considerably better at the edges.

But of course sharpness isn't everything. It also has very low chromatic aberration, and really nice rendering (including smooth bokeh). And outside of image quality: extremely fast autofocus. (I have no empirical data, but I'm pretty sure that it's the fastest-focusing lens in the entire Pentax lineup.

But really, the two lenses are different-enough focal lengths that they're not in direct competition. I've got my 40mm on my camera 90% of the time and rarely reach for my 50mm. I have an older manual-focus 50mm, so admittedly that's part of it but mostly it's the focal length. And the fact that I can trust the lens to give flawless images if I'm doing the right thing. (Which usually I'm not, but hey it's good to be clear on where the fault lies.)

+1 to the above.

i also find 50mm too long indoors.

mike
05-01-2009, 08:03 AM   #18
Veteran Member

50mm too long for me

Let the focal length decide. 50mm is either too short or too long for me, just like 20mm.

When I used 50mm indoors I had to take too many steps back and when using it outdoors I felt I needed something longer. When using a 20mm indoors I felt I was too close to the object and outdoors I felt I didn't get close enough....

So, in the end I settled with DA 40 and DA 70. I think everything within 30-40mm works for me and also everything between 70-100mm.

Regarding low-light.....yes I see everyone's point. It's great to have a F1.4 lens if the focal length works. I am looking for a low light lens in the 30-40mm area myself .....which means the expensive FA 31mm LTD, Yikes!!

Kind regards
.lars
05-01-2009, 11:16 AM   #19
Forum Member

I'd check out the FA 35mm, too, if I were you.

05-02-2009, 06:29 AM   #20
Inactive Account

If you are debating between these two lenses (40 and 50) and not between 40 & 35 it means you are wanting an excellent lens in low, or less than optimal light.

Your choice is simple: FA50 1.4

Go enjoy your new lens.

c[_]
05-02-2009, 07:21 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Well I like to choose a lens based on how it renders photos. look at photos by make on pbase and see which lens produces photos you prefer, just don't look at the 43ltd Also do you have any plans to get other pentax primes? Obviously a Fa 50 might be better if you desire a 35ltd macro but a 40 could be better if you want something like a 70 or 77.
I tend to think 2.8 is fast enough for indoor photography but the 50/1.4 gives you artistic opportunities once you learn how to use it!
Both are great lenses at great prices!
Cheers
Rob