Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-01-2009, 08:32 PM   #16
Kei

Photos: Gallery
I have the film canister cap from some generic drug store film and it works ok; probably not as good as the fujifilm cap. My butter fingers have to struggle a bit to take the lid off each time.

I bought some fujifilm (3-pack and 5-pack) recently but the film canister is no different from the generic drug stores'. They are both semi-transparent white, not the grey cap they used to be (a long time ago).

05-02-2009, 10:11 AM   #17

When I received my new DA 40mm I took one look at the funky hood/cap that came with it and threw it away. Instead I bought a 49mm Pentax snap-on cap (actually I bought 3 of these) and a 49mm metal B+W lens hood. I also have the DA 21mm and did the same with that lens (different B+W hood) though I kept the cap.

I suspect I'm the only one here to go that route but this arrangement works very well for me.

Richard
05-02-2009, 10:55 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Threw it away!?
05-02-2009, 11:57 AM   #19
Veteran Member

IMHO, the hood is one of the coolest things about an already very cool lens. The hood keeps the lens small and unobtrusive, and the shape keeps the lens *much* better protected than a normal hood would. I leave the cap off this lens much more than I would any other lens.

So I'd definitely considering going the extra mile to find the original hood.

The cap, now that I could take or leave I actually like it a little better than a Fuji film lid, because the film lid I have is just too tight a fit. Takes longer to take off than the screw-on one. But I'm told it would eventually wear down and fit better.

05-02-2009, 05:19 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Hmmm... no hood means there is no way to use the metal screw on cap... which means the second hand value of the lens has just gone down...

the screw on metal cap is just too fiddly and slow to use so a simple used film canister cover makes an even better workaround or one can spend a little and use a small plastic snap-on lens cap.

the unique thing about the lens hood is that it works well, keeps the lens dimensions small (which is the whole point of using a pancake lens) but it also allows a 30.5mm screw-in filter to be used on the reverse side of the cap.
05-13-2009, 05:06 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Original Poster
The verdict....

Thanks to your encouragement (it's easy for you to spend my money ), I bought the lens hood for my DA40. The $10 gift certificate from Amazon (not related to photography) made it a bit easier.

Today the hood came. It is aluminum alright, not plastic as in B&H descriptions:

And here is my new walking-around camera kit:

The K10D with the DA40 attached fits the Nikon bag perfectly:

Thanks all.
05-13-2009, 06:17 PM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SOldBear Quote
Thanks to your encouragement (it's easy for you to spend my money ), I bought the lens hood for my DA40. The $10 gift certificate from Amazon (not related to photography) made it a bit easier.

Today the hood came. It is aluminum alright, not plastic as in B&H descriptions:

Thanks all.
Is that a PINCH cap? I didn't get a pinch cap! Victory is yours

05-13-2009, 06:35 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by farfisa Quote
Is that a PINCH cap? I didn't get a pinch cap! Victory is yours
Yes. It is a Pentax pinch cap. But don't get too excited . It didn't come with the hood. It is from one of the lenses (I think it's the 18mm lens) in my Pentax 110 set.

I have a screw-on cap from my old camcorder. I'm not sure yet which one I prefer.
05-13-2009, 07:03 PM   #24
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Good idea using a Nikon bag, no one will try to steal your camera
05-14-2009, 12:27 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jeffrey r Quote
I have seen this mentioned before, but I tried this with a few old rolls of film I had lying around, and none of my canister lids fit the DA 40. Is there any brand of film in particular whose case works well?
Fujifilm. The cap fits perfectly:

It's the same cap from this canister:

08-12-2009, 06:33 AM   #26
Inactive Account

Now THAT'S a nifty looking diffuser if I've ever seen one!

QuoteOriginally posted by SOldBear Quote
It's the same cap from this canister:

08-12-2009, 07:49 AM   #27
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
hey, some of my Rx's come in different colored plastic bottles...might be fun to try out in the same way...