Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-16-2007, 10:39 PM   #1
Forum Member

Fast Normal Prime = Hens Teeth?

I've been looking into buying a DSLR for a while now and decided after reading many reviews that a K100D would be a good starting point. Years ago I had a little Minolta XGM that I really liked but drifted away from SLRs when digitals came out. After owning several digital point-and-shoots (most recently a Canon PowerShot A80) it was time to move to a DSLR. I bought the K100D with the standard kit lens and it should be here next week. I've always liked shooting primes so my next lens will be the SMCP-FA 50mm f/1.4. I had a fast 70mm (72mm?) on the XGM and loved it so the 50mm should be very similar. I planned to get a normal prime after the 50mm so started checking around for something in the 30mm-35mm range. Now my thinking was that normal primes would be pretty much as available as jelly beans since a normal prime is a standard tool that just about everyone would have in their kit. WRONG! First I looked at the FA 31mm F1.8 Limited. A beautiful lens but at $900 a pop a bit rich for my blood right now. The next and apparently only other choice is the FA 35mm F2. Not what I call a particularly fast lens and even at that when you can find them they are around $400. Maybe I'm just stuck in the past when a normal prime was THE standard that the rest of the lens collection was based but I find it hard to believe that these are the only normal primes available for the K100D. So tell me what I've overlooked so I can add to my collection a normal prime that is reasonably fast, affordable and available.

04-16-2007, 11:09 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Sigma makes a nice 28mm 1.8 that is highly thought of by many on the boards, perhaps even more than the 35mm 2 by some. A bit faster, there's the Sigma 30mm 1.4 that isn't as highly thought of.

I just snagged the 31mm limited... heck of a lens!

Oh... a couple more thoughts... Pentax has a 35mm SDM lens on the roadmap. They also have a 35mm 2.8 macro on the horizon. I imagine the SDM version will be quite a bit faster. No idea on price or when they'll be out.
04-16-2007, 11:24 PM   #3
Inactive Account

I have asked myself the same question for 2.5 years now. During the time I have owned the FA31/1.8 (twice, sold it twice, didn't use it much), the FA35/2.0 (used it a lot, good at f/2 and excellent from 2.8 and up, but not fast), the A28/2.0 (good from f/2, some bad bokeh and flary, manual focusing, expensive and rare), the FA28 (not thrilling at all, slow, boring), and also the Canon EF35/1.4L (ok from f/1.4, good from f/2 and excellent from f/2.8 and up, heavy and big but that was expected). So far I have been out of luck.
Now I have ordered a Sigma 30/1.4. Delivery time unknown for the moment. A few places has it in stock here in EU but I want to buy it at a local store. According to rumours: This is a pretty sharp lens, quality control is a hit or miss (hence I'll buy it somewhere I can go and complain if needed), big and heavy (for a "normal"), not very sharp in the corners (something I don't care that much about). Pleasent rendering according to some, odd bokeh according to others. But all that is opinions. I'll see what it is like when it arrives.
Later this year ther is a DA35/x coming. It's probably the FA35 i new clothes but there are also unconfirmed rumours saying it may be faster.
Your call.
04-16-2007, 11:24 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
If you can live with a manual focus theres a used PENTAX 135MM 3.5 located here Kenmore Camera used equipment
Along with a couple of 50mm lenses, and a 55mm.

Plus a couple of used primes in the Hundred dollar range here
KEH Camera: Used Cameras, Digital Cameras, Film Cameras, Laptop Computers and More.

04-17-2007, 03:39 AM   #5

I'm intrigued Jonas, which lens mount did you buy the 30/1.4 for? Pentax?

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonas B Quote
I have asked myself the same question for 2.5 years now. During the time I have owned the FA31/1.8 (twice, sold it twice, didn't use it much), the FA35/2.0 (used it a lot, good at f/2 and excellent from 2.8 and up, but not fast), the A28/2.0 (good from f/2, some bad bokeh and flary, manual focusing, expensive and rare), the FA28 (not thrilling at all, slow, boring), and also the Canon EF35/1.4L (ok from f/1.4, good from f/2 and excellent from f/2.8 and up, heavy and big but that was expected). So far I have been out of luck.
Now I have ordered a Sigma 30/1.4. Delivery time unknown for the moment. A few places has it in stock here in EU but I want to buy it at a local store. According to rumours: This is a pretty sharp lens, quality control is a hit or miss (hence I'll buy it somewhere I can go and complain if needed), big and heavy (for a "normal"), not very sharp in the corners (something I don't care that much about). Pleasent rendering according to some, odd bokeh according to others. But all that is opinions. I'll see what it is like when it arrives.
Later this year ther is a DA35/x coming. It's probably the FA35 i new clothes but there are also unconfirmed rumours saying it may be faster.
Your call.
04-17-2007, 04:18 AM   #6
Veteran Member

The days of a fast(ish) prime being standard issue with a new camera body are long gone.

Fortunately, there are plenty of primes out there, especially if one doesn't mind used lenses and, more especially, manual focus.
04-17-2007, 04:57 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You're funny. You didn't like the 31mm Limited because of its size (345g) and now you're considering the 430g Sigma?!?

A friend of mine has the Sigma for his Canon, and I love some of his shots. Particularly ones like this:
Pablo's "The Girl in the Ice Cream Shop"

What I've always wondered about was the Sigma's propensity for making triangles in the bokeh. I have a feeling it is some sort of clipping (like the "cat's eye" effect?) but I'd be interested to see if you could re-create it on a Pentax. Linked below is an example shot - in the upper left corner you can see the triangles.
Pablo's Resting Woman / Malecon

Anyway, I look forward to your analysis.

04-17-2007, 05:39 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Personally, I'm intrigued to see the new DA35 -- I assume it's going to be a fast (1.4? 1.7?) lens to fill the gaping hole left by their great fast 50's. But then again, you can never assume Pentax is going to do what's logical!
04-17-2007, 05:51 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Finn Quote
Personally, I'm intrigued to see the new DA35 -- I assume it's going to be a fast (1.4? 1.7?) lens to fill the gaping hole left by their great fast 50's. But then again, you can never assume Pentax is going to do what's logical!
The new Da 35 might surprise us with an aperture of f3.5!!

We all need to pray hard for an aperture of f1.8 for DA 35 (finding it hard to see a f1.4 to be released)
04-17-2007, 07:01 AM   #10

The "normal" lens for the digitals is really the 31mm Limited. Hopefully there will be some less expensive designs in the future.

But the good news is that the hyper-expensive 85mm f/1.4 lenses can be substituted by the excellent but very numerous 50/1.4 lenses, as long as you can live without autofocus!
04-17-2007, 10:40 AM   #11
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by roentarre Quote
The new Da 35 might surprise us with an aperture of f3.5!!

We all need to pray hard for an aperture of f1.8 for DA 35 (finding it hard to see a f1.4 to be released)
f/3.5? Lol. I would be surprised by anything but f/2. Anything faster is a happy surprise and I would immediately order one.

Unfortunately Pentax seem to aim for small and "slow" lately. A fast 35mm is bound to become big and heavy. But sure, I'll join you in your prayers!
04-17-2007, 01:51 PM   #12
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by tinospiros Quote
I'm intrigued Jonas, which lens mount did you buy the 30/1.4 for? Pentax?
For the Pentax, yes. I have read some reviews and seen a lot of pictures and I'm looking forward to try it out myself. Unfortunately it seems as it will take some time to get it. - regards,
04-17-2007, 01:58 PM   #13
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by carpents:
You're funny. You didn't like the 31mm Limited because of its size (345g) and now you're considering the 430g Sigma?!?

Remember that I have doing some workout with the 5D and the EF50/1.2L. The K10D with the Sigma 30mm will be ok. Not fine, but ok.

A friend of mine has the Sigma for his Canon, and I love some of his shots. Particularly ones like this:
Pablo's "The Girl in the Ice Cream Shop"

Nice rendering, the background is busy but it works fine as it's a picture on location.

What I've always wondered about was the Sigma's propensity for making triangles in the bokeh. I have a feeling it is some sort of clipping (like the "cat's eye" effect?) but I'd be interested to see if you could re-create it on a Pentax. Linked below is an example shot - in the upper left corner you can see the triangles.
Pablo's Resting Woman / Malecon

Yup. I believe that is a variant of the "Cat's eye effect". I haven't seen any Pentax pictures with this lens but I can guess they will be similar, or maybe worse considering the smaller mount.

Anyway, I look forward to your analysis.

it will be grumpy and unforgiving.
Hey, the size and weight is not the only things I don't like about the FA31...

regards,
04-17-2007, 02:00 PM   #14
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
The days of a fast(ish) prime being standard issue with a new camera body are long gone.

Fortunately, there are plenty of primes out there, especially if one doesn't mind used lenses and, more especially, manual focus.
Fast primes are plenty, but there are not many with the FOV of a normal lens.
04-18-2007, 08:53 AM   #15

Hey, the size and weight is not the only things I don't like about the FA31...

regards,
Jonas,

What didn't you like about the FA31?

Thanks.... Charles