Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-04-2009, 07:36 PM   #31
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Already did - and I still believe if we ask for durability we have to either pay a lot more money or expect a much simpler lens. You can't afford both durability and modern features such as SDM autofocus for the same after-inflation money as a Takumar.
You have a point. And I was spooked myself by all the reports of DA* zooms failing and I hadn't purchased one.

05-04-2009, 07:39 PM   #32
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Robert S Donovan Quote
Is it just me or do the optical design of the DA* 200 and FA* 200 look identical?
They're almost the same, I think. Possible difference could be new glass or (better?) coating, but someone more knowledgeable than me should interject here.
05-05-2009, 01:04 PM   #33
Inactive Account

My DA 16-50 SDM has failed after 14 months. The estimate for repair is £89 besides having to pay postage to send it back! The fact that this costly lens has developed a fault like this after such a short life is unacceptable!

I'm going to either ger a 16-45 or Sigma 17-70 now with a new lens a much better option.

Don't buy the DA 16-50-its a waste of hard earned money.
05-05-2009, 01:33 PM   #34
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Looks to me as if the Limited lenses are built for some life but I'm not too keen on what I've read so far about SDM lenses. Pentax offer only a one-year warranty where I am. If Pentax really wanted to stand behind their products, and especially a new technology for them like SDM, you'd think they might offer a warranty of three or more years. Admittedly it's rather unfair to pick on Pentax as they are hardly the only camera outfit which offers as short warranty, but if I'd paid hundreds of bucks for an SDM lens and it failed after 13 months I'd be pretty miffed. In fact I'd be pretty miffed if it failed after 2-3 years. In the meantime, I'm sticking to Limited primes and, maybe, Tamron zooms.

05-05-2009, 03:21 PM   #35

QuoteOriginally posted by master49 Quote
My DA 16-50 SDM has failed after 14 months. The estimate for repair is £89 besides having to pay postage to send it back! The fact that this costly lens has developed a fault like this after such a short life is unacceptable!

I'm going to either ger a 16-45 or Sigma 17-70 now with a new lens a much better option.

Don't buy the DA 16-50-its a waste of hard earned money.
Don't pay a bloody penny Master, you're covered under the sale of goods act 1974 which states that goods have to be fit for purpose, which this is not! Failing after 14 months is NOT fit for purpose, if your retailer won't sort it out send in the Trading Standards!

We got our Mum's fridge replaced when it died after 16 months, do not let them get one over on you!

PS if you bought from a Pentax Pro Centre, you have 2 years manufacturers warranty anyway!

Sorry, but I get very annoyed when retailers try to hide your statutory rights from you, and they should not be allowed to get away with it!
05-06-2009, 09:37 AM   #36
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by regor Quote
No ! But if you don't care about SDM, you can use them forever in Manual Mode !
Then why not just save yourself a ton of money and buy manual lenses to begin with?
I only have 2 DA lenses at this point, my others being manual lenses with the exception of a Sigma. Neither are SDM. I read a lot of these posts with concern because like most of us here I expect to have my lenses last for a long time.
05-06-2009, 11:33 AM   #37
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by PentaxPoke Quote
Interesting...my rear e-dial has dragged a bit ever since I bought it. I always assumed it was a slight misalignment of a weather seal, and it didn't bother me that bad. I don't think it is worth it for me to send it in for this small problem.

I'm the same way. I consider it a minor annoyance at most. I don't think I'll send it out for repair, though. Again, I'm not sure I'm not doing something wrong anyway.

05-06-2009, 11:45 AM   #38
Veteran Member

well I wish I'd have found this thread before.

The problem with DA lenses as I see it.. is that they are for crop sensors.
so the lenses might last but the sensors going to change.

I realy realy want to have a pentax lens collection like my friends have for canon.
they made a commitment to a brand . and in favor every upgrade for them is cheaper and cheaper .

pentax owners cant count on that and most likely in few years we will have to buy a new camera and new lenses
05-06-2009, 09:49 PM   #39
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by redpigeons Quote

Most but not all of them, though: for example 40 f/2.8 and 200 f/2.8 work fine on 35mm film. There is a thread about checking which lenses work on 35mm film without (too much) vignetting.
05-07-2009, 06:49 AM   #40
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by redpigeons Quote

I realy realy want to have a pentax lens collection like my friends have for canon.
they made a commitment to a brand . and in favor every upgrade for them is cheaper and cheaper .

pentax owners cant count on that and most likely in few years we will have to buy a new camera and new lenses
Few modern products these days are built to last. Cars that cost 10,000 or 20,000 bucks are wrecks in five years. Compare stuff now with similar products from twenty years ago. So the chances are that everyone - Nikon, Canon, Pentax, the lot - will be buying new cameras and lenses in a few years because their existing kit will be clapped out. Take DA* lenses: the glass might last well, but one wonders how long the SDM motors and the housing will last. I can see the DA limited lenses lasting well - five years and above - because there is relatively little to go wrong but that is about all.

I'd guess that APC-S will be around for quite a while anyway. Suddenly chopping it would be commercial suicide. For example, there could be a period of dual-format cameras, with dedicated APC-S lenses being able to use only a part of a larger sensor. If my gear is still working OK in five years, I'd count that a good deal even if by then it was time to clear out and switch to another sensor format. Nothing lasts forever.
05-07-2009, 11:30 AM   #41

QuoteOriginally posted by mecrox Quote
For example, there could be a period of dual-format cameras, with dedicated APC-S lenses being able to use only a part of a larger sensor.
If I recall correctly, Nikon's FF cameras can do that already.
05-07-2009, 05:53 PM   #42
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mecrox Quote
Few modern products these days are built to last. Cars that cost 10,000 or 20,000 bucks are wrecks in five years. Compare stuff now with similar products from twenty years ago. So the chances are that everyone - Nikon, Canon, Pentax, the lot - will be buying new cameras and lenses in a few years because their existing kit will be clapped out. Take DA* lenses: the glass might last well, but one wonders how long the SDM motors and the housing will last. I can see the DA limited lenses lasting well - five years and above - because there is relatively little to go wrong but that is about all.

I'd guess that APC-S will be around for quite a while anyway. Suddenly chopping it would be commercial suicide. For example, there could be a period of dual-format cameras, with dedicated APC-S lenses being able to use only a part of a larger sensor. If my gear is still working OK in five years, I'd count that a good deal even if by then it was time to clear out and switch to another sensor format. Nothing lasts forever.
Modern cars probably aren't the best choice for this analogy but your point is well taken.
05-11-2009, 08:31 AM   #43
Inactive Account

Original Poster
So nervous now

With all the SDM issues arising I am worried about the DA*SDM 50. 135mm crapping out at the time I need it to function mostly. I am also worried about the recent buy of the DA* SDM 300mm doing the same thing.

I feel I should not buy the DA*SDM 200mm.
I was thinking about buying the DA* SDM 16 50mm but that one has so many bad copies.

Should I stick with the 2 SDM* DA'S I have and not bother with the other 2 ?
Will they still work manual focus ? If not my DA*SDM 300mm is not 3 months old I might be able to trade that one in for something else.

ABCWinter :/
05-11-2009, 01:08 PM   #44
Inactive Account

From what I have read thus far, it would appear that a more accurate description for the acronymn SDM might equal one of the following:

Seriously Deficient Motor
Slightly Dicey Motor
Slowly Dying Motor
Somewhat Dodgy Motor
Sort-of Duff Motor

I fear the subject of component cost-cutting rearing it's ugly head again, but Pentoya would be well advised to avoid this trend as brand reputation can be all to easily lost in an instant !

Best regards
Richard

Last edited by Confused; 05-13-2009 at 01:26 PM.
05-11-2009, 02:21 PM   #45

SoonDeadMotor