Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-03-2009, 10:15 AM   #1

Sigma EX24/1.8---Nice

Hi to those who remember who I am. Probably there are some out there, for those who don't know, I will try to be active here now. As a first post on my return, I thought I would highlight my newest (but not totally new) lens, the Sigma EX 24 f/1.8. Again, for those who have long memories, I was quite vociferous in my support of the 28/1.8, even though I sold it when I got the FA31/1.8. Well, a few months ago now, I added a new lens to my bag, the 24/1.8. I have to say that as much as I liked the 28/1.8, the 24 is even better. I loved the 28 for its bokeh, transition to out of focus and the overall look I got from its photos. The 28 was sharp enough, though probably not the sharpest lens ever. I have said hundreds of times that sharpness is overrated, though not unimportant.

Well, I have to say that I think the 24 has all of the attributes I liked about the 28. It produces very nice bokeh, transitions quite smoothly from in focus to out and it handles out of focus highlights nicely. On the issue of sharpness, I have to say that at wide apertures, the 24 goes beyond the 28; actually, I would say that the 24 is completely acceptable wide open, while I tried to use f/2.2 on the 28. Like the 28, the 24 simply produces photos which I think look good; the most important metric.

Here is a sample I am pleased with

Taken with my K10D and the Sigma. ISO 640, f/2. There is rather normal PP on this shot, though when I did the sharpening, I only applied it to the eyes and the mouth. Even the sharpening was dialed down from what I often do, though it appears quite sharp(ened).

I have to say that I am pleased.

05-03-2009, 10:22 AM   #2
Veteran Member

welcome back darren, recognize that pic in your sig
05-03-2009, 10:55 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
As a lens addict I have often wondered about this one because it is relativlely wide and its fast.
Thanks for helping me fuel my addiction. Great sample.
05-03-2009, 11:17 AM   #4
Forum Member

Hi Darren
Good to see you posting again. I've always found your posts very informative and useful.
Regarding the Sigma, have you found the size of this lens manageable? Does it balance nicely on K10D or is too much front heavy?

05-03-2009, 11:27 AM   #5

Original Poster
The size might be an issue for some, but for me it is a positive. The big barrel makes it really easy to handle for me, as does the huge focus ring when I use MF. It is not discreet, but I think it balances fantastically for me, as did the 28. The 31ltd, while being smaller is about as heavy and I do find it to be front heavy in comparison.
05-03-2009, 11:38 AM   #6
Veteran Member

hey darren, aren't you the guy who said they regretted selling the 28/1.8 for the FA31?
i would always refer people to that post
05-03-2009, 11:51 AM   #7

Original Poster
I can't really say that I regret changing the 28 for the 31, but I would have to say that I regret selling the 28, as I would love to have both and I didn't really get that much for the 28. For its price/performance ratio, I would say the 28 is as good a lens as I have used (next to the 24, perhaps). The 31 is better, but not really all that much better to be honest. For people looking for a "normal" lens on a budget, the Sigma 28 is still the one I recommend.
05-04-2009, 05:51 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Good seeing you again, Darren. And thanks for your words on the 24 Sigma. Sweet sample picture.

There are a bunch of forum features that it took a long time for me, to figure out.
I tried to explain them to Rupert, as others had explained them to me :
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/camera-studio-accessories/56363-need-some...tax-flash.html
But then again, maybe you're faster at picking up that kind of stuff than I am.

I see why you abandoned DPr, though the place got more dull, without you there

05-04-2009, 06:50 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I'm really happy to see this thread. I just posted a question over at the "other" forum about the best wide to wide-normal prime for Pentax format that doesn't break the bank. I've narrowed it down to the Sigma 24/1.8, 28/1.8 and possibly the 30/1.4. I wasn't sure about the 24 & 28, but seeing this review is a big help on both fronts.

Question, Darren: if you could only have the 24 or 28, which would you choose? I realize that part of that answer will depend upon your preferred field of view. But I'd still be curious to hear your reply.
05-04-2009, 06:59 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome back Darren. I've always enjoyed your postings either here or at the "other place". I have to agree with you that the Sigma 24 is a great lens. One characteristic that you didn't mention but is important to me, is that it close focuses quite well. The only thing I don't like about it is that it seems to be a bit prone to flare, but with careful framing and a good hood (I went from a 'wide angle' to a 'normal' hood and found a vast improvement) that problem can be greatly lessened.

NaCl(welcome back again)H2O
05-04-2009, 07:02 PM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by switters Quote

Question, Darren: if you could only have the 24 or 28, which would you choose? I realize that part of that answer will depend upon your preferred field of view. But I'd still be curious to hear your reply.
I think I would choose the 28, mostly for the FOV. Between the two, I think the 28 has just a little better bokeh in busy backgrounds (though not much) and the 24 is a little sharper at wide apertures. These are small differences and just impressions, nothing scientific. I would say that the two lenses are much more alike than different.
05-04-2009, 07:16 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Thanks for your reply, Darren. The FOV of the 28 approximates a 43mm on FF, which for me was a perfect "normal" lens - so I'd tend to agree that it would be more useful than the 24.

Like Saltwater, I also appreciate the close-focusing distance of the Sigmas.