Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-06-2009, 05:07 AM   #16

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

QuoteOriginally posted by gregmoll Quote
Hi,
I use a Manfrotto 055XPROB tripod and a 701RC2 Video head.
Are we looking at about $250.00 for the kit? New? Checking Ebay now, lol.

05-06-2009, 07:50 AM   #17
Inactive Account

I don't know your prices but they cost me the equivalent of $450 here in SA, but I use them for everything. The Video head is a dream, it's so smooth and is spring loaded to help balance the camera, much more user friendly than a floppy ball head.
05-06-2009, 12:07 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi Joco,

Congratulations, now we can start start a 1000mm club thread, does anyone else on the list have this lens.

I've posted some photos on flickr, here
Pentax - a set on Flickr

Enjoy it and lets see the photos.
Regards
Greg
Thank you for those images.
05-06-2009, 01:09 PM   #19

Original Poster
I don't know your prices but they cost me the equivalent of $450 here in SA, but I use them for everything. The Video head is a dream, it's so smooth and is spring loaded to help balance the camera, much more user friendly than a floppy ball head.
I see. Sounds nice. I paid $200.00 for the lens, and had a hard time justifying THAT to the wife... What are the odds that I find that tripod at the Thrift Store? Ha!

05-19-2009, 10:47 AM   #20
Veteran Member

So, a new thread reminded me of this one and I wanna see pics with that monster! Have you had a chance (and an adapter) to test it yet?
05-19-2009, 10:56 AM   #21
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by heliphoto Quote
So, a new thread reminded me of this one and I wanna see pics with that monster! Have you had a chance (and an adapter) to test it yet?
That's just what I was going to say, I don't want to see pictures taken of the lens, I want to see pictures taken with the lens.
05-19-2009, 11:05 AM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jocko_nc Quote
I took a couple of pics of the new toy. I cannot find my M42 adapter, no way to test it yet. Focus and aperture adjusts feel great. Glass looks clear, a little dust. Everything seems fine.

That is a 50mm M lens for size.
That's an awesome lens!

Who needs an m42 adapter. I pressume it has a tripod mount? Put the lens on the tripod, get the silver-tape and the camera body and it should just take half a minute to "mount" the camera on the lens

I noticed there is no review of this lens in the lens data base here on the forum...you know your duty, don't you?

05-20-2009, 01:08 PM   #23

Original Poster
Thanks for the encouragement.... Been out of town.

I am having a tough time with the tripod for this beast. The last thing I want to do is something stupid. It is not the weight so much as the size and potential inertia. This lens could get out of control easily and it would not be hard to ding up 130mm aluminum tube. What a shame that would be. It is not easy to hold onto and to handle. You have to see it in person to appreciate.

My last attempt fell short: Some of the telescope parts were too cheesy, particularly the friction brake design. I have to back up and start over. I'm searching Ebay for some kind of camera mount that would work.

Has anyone ever seen a link to the original tripod that was sold with these? I have read it was a wooden design of some type. I would even consider trying to do a reproduction.
05-20-2009, 02:57 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I'm working on it now...

I tend to overkill things like this. Unfortunately, I no longer have access to proper metalworking tools or a welder. I have parts from a telescope mount, some of which are really nice. Others are cheesy. Tearing it down, the potential project just gets bigger. I don't like the legs, I may replace with wood. I'm thinking about a cradle adapter made from laminate of oak and aluminum plate. This may get complicated, but I think I can do it. Done right, it could be cool and vintage looking. Too early to tell.

Wood seems stupid, but in reality is a very good material to absorb vibration. I've had success in the past.
An older scope mount with wooden legs should be nice and suitable. There is nothing that beats the price-performance ratio of a good wooden tripod.

For this lens you need a really strong tripod. I have a colleague here in germany who shot quite a while with this lens and he needed some substantial upgrade to his tripod. The most expensive part is the head, as most heads available in typical photographic shops won't be able to support this lens. You need something in the legue of the bigger Manfrotto gear head or the biggest ball heads you can find (Markins, Arca, Foba, Graf, etc.). Many nature photogs use good quality video heads with these big lenses, as you wouldn't need a 3D head. That might be the cheapest option... Or ofcourse a good gimbal mount I think, the lowly Manfrotto MA393 should just be able to carry that gun (it does so nicely with the 500/4.5 and tc).

Ben
05-20-2009, 03:00 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Has anyone ever seen a link to the original tripod that was sold with these? I have read it was a wooden design of some type. I would even consider trying to do a reproduction.
Look out for old secondhand surveying tripods. These are massive and cheap.

HORIZON WOOD TRIPOD FOR TOTAL STATION, SURVEYING - eBay (item 120411312228 end time May-24-09 14:39:00 PDT)

just an example. You can hardly build something on your own for less money.

Ben
05-20-2009, 03:17 PM   #26
Veteran Member

$200! Holy Cow! Your wife should know that you absolutely STOLE it! Tell her I said so. It's the truth.

Regards,
Mike
I see. Sounds nice. I paid $200.00 for the lens, and had a hard time justifying THAT to the wife... What are the odds that I find that tripod at the Thrift Store? Ha!
05-20-2009, 06:36 PM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
How heavy is the lens? Have a 20lb wooden East German tripod/head that hold a pair of 60lb Japanese naval binocs. This can't weigh that much. Carried that tripod from one end of Chicago PMA show to the other (parking lot). Was proud of the deal I made with the seller.
thanks
barondla
05-20-2009, 08:38 PM   #28

Original Poster
I'd love an East German wooden tripod... Just don't have one. Looking, however. Working on it.
05-21-2009, 01:55 AM   #29
Veteran Member

I'd love an East German wooden tripod... Just don't have one. Looking, however. Working on it.
Instead you can also buy a current Zeiss wooden tripod new, here: Baader Hartholz-Stativ und Anschlussflansche bei Baader Planetarium, Zubehoer - Sektion 05

I have one of those and it is up to almost anything.

Ben
05-22-2009, 08:45 AM   #30
Veteran Member

Consider a wemberly like mount, or a Berlebach UNI6 (or 16).
The Berlebach has already a big leveling ball, which can already act as a ball head.
The advantage is, that it has a limited range, so if the lens tips over, it stops before bumping into something.

The original tripod for this lens, had a quick release mechanism which used the oval tripod plate, and two locking holes.
I now use a manfrotto ' 394 QUICK R.ADAPTOR LOW PROFILE' with two screws, this makes mounting/dismounting a lot easier.

Don't expect wonders about the picture quality, too much chromatic aberation I am afraid. It is designed before APO optics were available.

George