Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-03-2009, 11:35 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
1000mm f8 Takumar. Pics.

I took a couple of pics of the new toy. I cannot find my M42 adapter, no way to test it yet. Focus and aperture adjusts feel great. Glass looks clear, a little dust. Everything seems fine.

That is a 50mm M lens for size.

Last edited by jocko_nc; 06-14-2009 at 08:05 PM.
05-03-2009, 11:45 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Wow! I could fill a page with expletives... But, I wont

Aren't you going mad without an adapter? My head would explode.

Can't wait till you find that adapter!

Regards,
Mike
05-03-2009, 11:57 AM   #3

Original Poster
I just consider myself extremely fortunate and "happy to be here"... A couple of days isn't going to kill me. It is lousy outside today anyway. Yea, I need to get another adapter ASAP.

The other issue, I have some work to do regarding a tripod mount: I have an old telescope with a nice solid mount. I will probably have to make a machined part to fit to the bolt pattern on this lens.
05-03-2009, 12:13 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Please post some images once you get yours, and possibly the first review as well...thanks.

05-03-2009, 03:47 PM   #5

Lord have mercy! I didn't realize that lens was so big. I assume you have a real strong tripod
05-03-2009, 03:54 PM   #6
F16

Nice 'Asahi Pentax' hubcap.
05-03-2009, 04:16 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by F16 Quote
Nice 'Asahi Pentax' hubcap.
I'd rather say "manhole cover".

05-03-2009, 05:18 PM   #8

Wow, do the right thing and make sure NASA can borrow it when needed!
05-03-2009, 07:20 PM   #9

Original Poster
Come to think of it, the lens cap is about the size of an old VW Beetle hubcap...

I really need big a tripod now. I have an old "Red Accent" tripod downstairs (Goodwill) that looks like it was a video mount from the 80's. It is kind of cheesy, but fairly substantial. Problem, it is missing the quick release plate and I have not come up with a solution. More than just screwing around now, I would die (rightfully) if this lens took a dive because I was stupid with the mount.
05-05-2009, 08:43 AM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jocko_nc Quote
Come to think of it, the lens cap is about the size of an old VW Beetle hubcap...

I really need big a tripod now. I have an old "Red Accent" tripod downstairs (Goodwill) that looks like it was a video mount from the 80's. It is kind of cheesy, but fairly substantial. Problem, it is missing the quick release plate and I have not come up with a solution. More than just screwing around now, I would die (rightfully) if this lens took a dive because I was stupid with the mount.
You might want to try this place for a quick release for your old tripod.
index
That lens looks like it needs a pretty solid tripod under it.
05-05-2009, 09:24 AM   #11
Veteran Member

So... when does the turret arrive so you can mount that bazooka? LOL
05-05-2009, 02:58 PM   #12

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Venturi Quote
So... when does the turret arrive so you can mount that bazooka? LOL
I have some work to do. This lens has a non-standard mount: It has what looks to be a factory flange; a pattern of (4) metric screws into the collar, two threaded holes for the tripod screws. They look to be 1/4 inch, I have not confirmed. The designers felt this thing was too heavy and long for a single screw mount. I must say I would agree. It could get away from a single screw.

That Red Accent quick release would not cut it, IMO. I'll have to come up with something. Not so easy as it might seem.

Now, if there is a quick release head that fits this flange... ???. That may have been the idea.

Edit: I see some heavier plates with dual 1/4 screws, on a variable distance. Those would work. Now, I get to consider spending more on a lousy tripod than I paid for the lens! I think I will DIY.
05-05-2009, 08:43 PM   #13
Inactive Account

Hi Joco,

Congratulations, now we can start start a 1000mm club thread, does anyone else on the list have this lens.

I've posted some photos on flickr, here
Pentax - a set on Flickr

Enjoy it and lets see the photos.
Regards
Greg
05-05-2009, 09:03 PM   #14

Original Poster
I'm working on it now...

I tend to overkill things like this. Unfortunately, I no longer have access to proper metalworking tools or a welder. I have parts from a telescope mount, some of which are really nice. Others are cheesy. Tearing it down, the potential project just gets bigger. I don't like the legs, I may replace with wood. I'm thinking about a cradle adapter made from laminate of oak and aluminum plate. This may get complicated, but I think I can do it. Done right, it could be cool and vintage looking. Too early to tell.

Wood seems stupid, but in reality is a very good material to absorb vibration. I've had success in the past.
05-05-2009, 10:54 PM   #15
Inactive Account

Hi,
I use a Manfrotto 055XPROB tripod and a 701RC2 Video head. The quick release fitting is bolted to the lens with two bolts. The video head balances the camera and lens very well. As far as vibration goes I use a remote cable release and wait a second or two after touching the camera. The pics on flicker were focused using both the green focus indicator and a two times viewfinder magnifier, but then my eyes are 69 yrs old :<((