Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-17-2007, 01:02 PM   #1
Inactive Account

DA14mm Great Build and Fun Photos

After months of exploration by Macro (DFA100mm) and Fish-Eye (DA10-17mm) with my K10D, I just got DA14mm last week.

This is such a handsome looking lens with very solid build. Though, it was not too easy for me to be able to create good shots, as a novis photographer. The color and feeling of the pictures are very natual (comparing macro and fish-eye) that, I think, requires some level of skills/experiences/knowledge of photography. But finally I got few shots that I like. I am sure I will find more about this lens, but I highly recommend this lens to everyone. Very fun once I found how this lens needs to be used.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 

Last edited by zenzenyoyo; 07-27-2007 at 10:12 AM.
04-17-2007, 01:29 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Congratulations of the wonderful lens! Its more than capable of capturing variety of subjects, anything from closeups to landscapes to "odd" perspective shots.

What I found to be very useful, is getting to know the lens - keep it on the camera for a week, and use nothing but this one lens for all your shots! You will be amazed how much you can learn about it! Did just that with my Sigma 15mm fisheye last week.

Try on variety of subjects, close, distant, wide open, landscapes, what ever - than analyze your shots in terms of composition, colors, focus and DOF and read your EXIF data...

Regards,
D
04-17-2007, 02:17 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Yes!

Duh_Vinci

Cool! That's exactly how I found it the best way to practice and to learn this lens!!

When I got this new lens (DA14mm), I only thought wide lens should be taking landscape. And I took several landscape shots which were fine but I could not figure out if they are good enough or not. Then I was going to change it to macro (DFA100mm) to take close-up and portrait. But since the new lens is very cool looking with K10D, I thought "well, let's continue it with this new lens for all day!". Then I found it takes so many interesting shots with various objects and angles. It's been 10 days, since I attached DA14mm to my camera on the day I got. All my photos are taken with this!

Thanks for your advise that totally encouraged me to keep going!
04-17-2007, 04:28 PM   #4
Ole
Administrator

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The second shot is cool. I like the colors and the lines. The first shot could benefit from some cropping from the left so that the flower would be off-center. The good old "thirds" rule comes in handy for this shot IMHO: Place the object about one third from an edge.

04-17-2007, 04:56 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Ole

Thanks for your complement for my favorit shot. (The 2nd one) Yeah, I was thinking that I can do something on the orange flower shot to make it better. The third rule advise definately sounds good to me. There are lots to learn but I am enjoying every single moment with photography.

Thanks,
zenzenyoyo
04-17-2007, 05:01 PM   #6
Inactive Account

The 14mm is one of my favs... Fun is a great word to describe this lens... and, the build quality of excellent... great sample shots! Enjoy it!
04-17-2007, 05:56 PM   #7
Inactive Account

Original Poster
hamidlmt

I was having difficulty to decide either I want to get DA12-24mm or DA14mm for a while. Many people told me that F2.8 (DA14mm) is not really necessary for wild lens and F4 (DA12-24mm) is good enough. But as I mentioned earlier, landscape is not the only object and F2.8 gives great deal of bokeh. I can not say for sure but I feel that prime lens (DA14mm) should give greater quality of image than zoom. Also, one of the benefit of DA12-24mm, zooming, is not attactive to me any more, I am rather enjoying the fixed flaming with DA14mm that makes/stimulates me for more interesting aproach to photo.

Thanks,
04-17-2007, 06:46 PM   #8
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by zenzenyoyo Quote
hamidlmt

I was having difficulty to decide either I want to get DA12-24mm or DA14mm for a while. Many people told me that F2.8 (DA14mm) is not really necessary for wild lens and F4 (DA12-24mm) is good enough. But as I mentioned earlier, landscape is not the only object and F2.8 gives great deal of bokeh. I can not say for sure but I feel that prime lens (DA14mm) should give greater quality of image than zoom. Also, one of the benefit of DA12-24mm, zooming, is not attactive to me any more, I am rather enjoying the fixed flaming with DA14mm that makes/stimulates me for more interesting aproach to photo.

Thanks,
Zen, I never thought I'd be into primes, but they are so much fun! I'm hooked! The F2.8 is a real bonus with the 14mm. I find myself using it for all sorts of things I never considered such a wide angle for... It even makes for an interesting portrait lens!

04-17-2007, 07:13 PM   #9
Inactive Account

Original Poster
hamidlmt

I totally agree with you that prime is such a wonderful tool to play with. I bought DA18-55mm and DA50-200mm together with K10D, expecting I would be using them all the time that covers every needs. But once I started using prime (my very first one was DFA100mm), I almost never go back to zoom. (though, I have to say that if DA star zoom become available, I may be saying something different!)

Your photos are great! Definately with your inspiration, DA14mm could become such a great portrait lens. I can learn a lot from your sample. Thanks,