Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-17-2007, 01:54 PM   #1

K10 general purpose fast zoom choices

I would be very interested on hearing opinions on Sigma's 2.8 zooms, since I can't currently afford Pentax lenses (even if I could find them...), and there are no local Tamron dealers... Also, I'd like to stick with Auto-focus if possible - my eyes aren't always up to the task...

I've been looking at the 24-70 Macro and the 28-70 (I know it's just personal, but I've never used the short end very much, so a 17mm bottom end for me would be like putting pearls on swine...)

The 24-70 macro is C$599 and the 28-70 is C$399. Are the extra 4mm worth the money? Same question for the Macro? (It's pretty short for a Macro lens, isn't it ?)

Anyway, specific AND general comments on Sigma fast zooms would be appreciated...

(Comments on Tamron and Tokina fast zooms in the same mm range would also be helpful...)

Thanks

04-17-2007, 03:07 PM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Classvino Quote
I would be very interested on hearing opinions on Sigma's 2.8 zooms, since I can't currently afford Pentax lenses (even if I could find them...), and there are no local Tamron dealers... Also, I'd like to stick with Auto-focus if possible - my eyes aren't always up to the task...

I've been looking at the 24-70 Macro and the 28-70 (I know it's just personal, but I've never used the short end very much, so a 17mm bottom end for me would be like putting pearls on swine...)

The 24-70 macro is C$599 and the 28-70 is C$399. Are the extra 4mm worth the money? Same question for the Macro? (It's pretty short for a Macro lens, isn't it ?)

Anyway, specific AND general comments on Sigma fast zooms would be appreciated...

(Comments on Tamron and Tokina fast zooms in the same mm range would also be helpful...)

Thanks
hi, there was 2 versions of both those lenses, the df and the dg. in both cases the df was supposedly nowhere near as good as the dg. I would look at the sigma 17-70 it seems very popular. But being in canada cant you just use henrys or cameracanada? etc and get the glass you want (personally I like the tamron 28-75)

Regards
Phil
04-17-2007, 03:14 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
I just recently received my Sigma 17-70. I love it so far. OK, so it's not a constant aperture (gotta compromise somewhere, right). The lenses you talk about are also rated pretty darn good. On the issue of 24 vs 28 for a low end, remember that 28 is 42 in 35mm or just about "normal". 24 will give you alittle wide. If you think about it, the 17-70 is really a 26-105. If you're coming from an old school 35mm like I am, that matches the ever so poular 28-105 range (was my favorite lens on my Super Program).
Good Luck choosing,
Brian
04-17-2007, 04:07 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Like Brain mentioned, you don't need constant 2.8. In dim lit areas, the K10D will have just as much trouble focusing. The 17-70 is a solid lens. Add a swivel flash and you are good to go.

I used to think aperture was everything and even shelled out big time to get a A50/1.4. In the end I think the fast aperture lenses are rather a bit too over hyped. The DOF gets too thin especially if you want to do group photos and stuff. 2.8 to 4.5 is a good range and you'll be fine with a flash.

I currently use the Vivitar S1 28-90/2.8-3.5 and a Sunpak 333. The total cost of both items was like somewhere around $125CAN. Great photos all the time.

Oh Phil, Henrys caters heavily to Canikons and people with credit cards. =P Finding Pentax Mount stuff is rather hard at most stores.

04-17-2007, 04:14 PM   #5

Am I missing something!?!?!?! WHat's the matter with the DA16-45?? It's reasonably priced, and a good lens.
04-17-2007, 04:40 PM   #6
Forum Member

I reckon the tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 is a really good lens. Sure it starts at 28mm, but it is a beauty of a lens, and I have the pentax 12-24mm for the wider shots. I also think that the tamrons are generally better on pentax than the sigmas - there have been some quality control issues.
04-18-2007, 11:25 AM   #7

Original Poster
Thanks for the replies so far,

Actually, I guess I should have mentioned my intended usage...

I'll be doing a bunch of "indoor" shooting - I enclose "indoor" in quotes because I seem to like the natural light shots better than the flash shots... (maybe, just maybe, due to the fact that I just got an AF360 and haven't really figured it out yet - everything seems overexposed...)

I do a fair bit of gig shooting for several local musician friends and bands, and with the weird lighting at most gigs, a flash just washes out the other colours and adds more confusion than anything... That's why I was looking at a constant 2.8, although I will look at the 17-70... Although I was planning on sticking to non "DC" lenses so I could use them on my film body as well...

I agree, the extra 4mm could definitely be advantageous, but using ExposurePlot on files from the last year or so of shooting has shown me that I almost never shoot at less than 35mm (that's 35mmFF factor)

I noticed no-one mentions the Tokina's - is that because no-one has experience with them, or because they're not worth mentioning - kinda hard to come by in any case...

Henry's? - I have purchased there - actually got my K10D there, but only after a lot of comparison shopping, and going in armed with hardcopy price research from other Ontario retailers... They don't carry much in Pentax-mount lenses, and the two stores I've been in carry only the 10-17 and the 18-55, and a few 'slower' Sigmas. All their ordering is centralized in Toronto, and it can take 4 or 5 weeks for a lens to come in - if it does...

04-18-2007, 11:48 AM   #8
Inactive Account

I'll add in my vote for the Tamron 28-75mm 2.8. It's a great all around lens... quick to focus, nice color renditions, lovely bokeh, close focusing, great at portraits or anything else...

Here's a few recent favs from this lens...

04-20-2007, 03:07 AM   #9
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by mcleoud151 Quote
Am I missing something!?!?!?! WHat's the matter with the DA16-45?? It's reasonably priced, and a good lens.
I eliminated the 16-45 from my LBA cure simply because of it's backwards zooming. My thought were regarding family indoor snap shots. I mostly need the extreme wide end of the zoom with my subjects sort of close. I figured the few times I will use the (onboard) flash in this case it would probably end up casting a shadow.
Brian
04-20-2007, 03:19 AM   #10

First few pics with the Sigma 17-70 2.8 Macro

Thanks
Well I am absolutely pleased with my new Sigma 17-70 DC 2/8 Macro, the clarity of this lens is as good as any of my Pentax lenses, in fact my DA 18-55 will be moving on soon. Some pics are on the earlier thread at;

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/5895-new-sigma...s-arrived.html

Will shoot some more on the weekend, but it looks great so far as an all round lens. I have several other lenses, but this was added mainly for the Macro, but I like it for the whole range.

Phil
04-20-2007, 04:45 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mcleoud151 Quote

The Sigma 17-70 is longer, faster and focuses much closer. Much more flexible lens and IQ is almost impossible to choose between them.

Regarding the original poster, i think the choice is easy.

If you are happy with a 42mm "wide" angle go the Tamron 28-75 f/2.8, otherwise, sigma 17-70.
04-20-2007, 09:00 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Thanks for the replies so far,

Actually, I guess I should have mentioned my intended usage...

I'll be doing a bunch of "indoor" shooting - I enclose "indoor" in quotes because I seem to like the natural light shots better than the flash shots... (maybe, just maybe, due to the fact that I just got an AF360 and haven't really figured it out yet - everything seems overexposed...)

I do a fair bit of gig shooting for several local musician friends and bands, and with the weird lighting at most gigs, a flash just washes out the other colours and adds more confusion than anything... That's why I was looking at a constant 2.8, although I will look at the 17-70... Although I was planning on sticking to non "DC" lenses so I could use them on my film body as well...

I agree, the extra 4mm could definitely be advantageous, but using ExposurePlot on files from the last year or so of shooting has shown me that I almost never shoot at less than 35mm (that's 35mmFF factor)

I noticed no-one mentions the Tokina's - is that because no-one has experience with them, or because they're not worth mentioning - kinda hard to come by in any case...

Henry's? - I have purchased there - actually got my K10D there, but only after a lot of comparison shopping, and going in armed with hardcopy price research from other Ontario retailers... They don't carry much in Pentax-mount lenses, and the two stores I've been in carry only the 10-17 and the 18-55, and a few 'slower' Sigmas. All their ordering is centralized in Toronto, and it can take 4 or 5 weeks for a lens to come in - if it does...
Ew..Henrys hahah. (Heavily favours Canikons and fat credit cards). I used to think the same about flash but get a good diffuser and you'll be fine. A Gary Fong type Lightsphere is good. If you don't want to spend $75 on the 'designer label' soft vinyl salad bowl, a noodle cup or any frosted tupperware from the dollar store will do.

If you got lighting in the background like stage effects and stuff that you would like to include it, drag the shutter a bit. I used to crave the concept of owning a P-TTL flash like the 360/540, but I find manual's better. Faster access to what you need and way cheaper. Like normally for flash you shoot say 1/100 f5.6 or something right? Well, bounce the light with a diffuser bowl. Then drag the shutter-->1/80.-->1/60......up the ISO to 400 or 800 until you capture the background nicely as well.