Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-04-2009, 06:54 AM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Test with the 55-300mm. Is this as it should be?

Photos in My Gallery under “Miscellaneous”. I have just bought the Pentax DA 55-300 and the images seem a bit iffy to me, as I have jumped back to Pentax from canon I am not sure if this is an acceptable quality or not?. To show you all I have put the K20D on a tripod and set the camera to fully auto everything green and the stabilizer on . With a remote I shot each one from 55mm through to 300mm and you will see in my gallery the original shots and then the crops at 100%. Each photo is direct from the camera no touching in photoshop only to crop. Take into account this is on a tripod!! NOT free hand. I took some shots of planes taking off at a nearby airport and they are terrible. I can post some if you like but it may make you feel a bit sicky. Well guys and gals would appreciate your opinion as to if you think I have a bad copy, taking into account the 16-50 I have was terrible until they changed it for another one in the same shop which is now an impressive lens. All the best. Kevin

JUST TO LET YOU ALL KNOW THAT THE NEW PHOTOS I HAVE POSTED IN GALLERY ARE WITH THE SR/OFF. MY SLIP UP!!. SEE WHAT YOU ALL THINK ABOUT THE QUALITY. THANKS.

Last edited by Kevin1961; 05-04-2009 at 10:18 AM. Reason: took off SR on Camera and took new photos
05-04-2009, 07:01 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Not sur eif I understood this right, but it seems like you used the Tripod AND the SR/ON at the same time... this will backfire and produce blurry pictures...

Please confirm if this was the case and if so, re-do the tests with SR/OFF.

LAter

BB
05-04-2009, 07:39 AM   #3

Got mine about 2 mnths ago. Everytime I use it the results are even better than the prev ones. Even starting to do landscapes with it and beats the kit lens hands down.

Hope this helps.
George
Attached Images

05-04-2009, 09:15 AM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BBear Quote
Not sur eif I understood this right, but it seems like you used the Tripod AND the SR/ON at the same time... this will backfire and produce blurry pictures...

LAter

BB
Yep sir....... I had the SR/on what an idiot!!! I will do the whole lot again...... bad day!!!! Even so the shots of some planes I had are not that clear and i used it at 150mm and 300mm using continuos shooting and in AF.C mode. Will put some pics on later tonight or tomorrow with the SR/off am now off to kick myself in a corner.

05-04-2009, 09:17 AM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by georgecape Quote
Got mine about 2 mnths ago. Everytime I use it the results are even better than the prev ones. Even starting to do landscapes with it and beats the kit lens hands down.

Hope this helps.
George
Hi George. Is this a 100% crop? and what focal length was it taken with?. All the best. Kevin
05-04-2009, 09:38 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Love this lens. Here's my favorite recent shot with it:

05-04-2009, 09:56 AM   #7

No, no crop but I'll check all detail (on my laptop at the office - tomorrow) and let you know. This one is on my flash drive for printing here at home etc.
George.

05-04-2009, 10:21 AM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by deadwolfbones Quote
Love this lens. Here's my favorite recent shot with it:

Hi. Nice shot with the reflection very sharp. Have a quick look at the photos I have posted, they are only quicky's as I have not got much time tonight, anyway see what you think. All the best. Kevin
05-04-2009, 10:22 AM   #9
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by georgecape Quote
No, no crop but I'll check all detail (on my laptop at the office - tomorrow) and let you know. This one is on my flash drive for printing here at home etc.
George.
OK that would help, thanks very much. Kevin
05-04-2009, 10:30 AM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BBear Quote

LAter

BB
not trying to hijack the thread. i have read this in the manual and try to make it a practice to turn off SR whenever using a tripod...BUT...what if your tripod is getting jiggled by heavy wind or if the tripod is set up on a vibrating surface (on a stage or other surface where it is subject to some motion)? Is there benefit to switching SR on in these situations? thx
05-04-2009, 11:47 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Your images looked like typical 100% crops from other consumer zooms I've seen - better than some, perhaps not quite as good as others at some focal lengths. So I'd say that seems about par for the course.

Did you you engage the 2-second timer for mirror lockup?
05-04-2009, 11:58 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
Your images looked like typical 100% crops from other consumer zooms I've seen - better than some, perhaps not quite as good as others at some focal lengths. So I'd say that seems about par for the course.
Yeah, I'd have to agree here. There's one crop that looks a little uncharacteristically soft, but overall these look about right.
05-04-2009, 12:00 PM   #13
Veteran Member

I'll have to agree with Marc here. It's a consumer zoom with a wide focal range.

You'll notice that it will perform much better, when shooting objects at closer distances, regardless of focal length. This is true with most lenses and especially zooms.

Your results are acceptable. Now, we'd all like tack sharp images but distant object shots taken with a consumer zoom aren't gonna be tack sharp, regardless of make, model or vintage. That's why really fast, really high IQ lenses are really expensive.

Regards,
Mike

05-04-2009, 01:00 PM   #14
Forum Member

Original Poster

Hi Marc. OK, so it seems that this lens it par for course and for the price is in lne with other in this level of consumer lenses. Due to serious disc problems in the neck which effects my arms and legs when holding a camera for a long time I sold my canon 5D and 28/300 Ultrasonic which produced mint images even at high speed at 100% crops but we are talking about a lens which cost 2 350.00 euros, anyway I am back over to Pentax now for other reasons. I did not engage the 2-timer for mirror lockup. One thing I did notice that the pentax does seem a little more open to haze. In Spain we get up to 40 to 44 o'C and the shimmer from the heat is terrible when using zooms. I had to take some shots of delta Airlines making it's first landing here and with heat off the runway it was tricky getting that "One" frame!!. All the best. Kevin
05-04-2009, 01:06 PM   #15
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by X Man Quote
I'll have to agree with Marc here. It's a consumer zoom with a wide focal range.

You'll notice that it will perform much better, when shooting objects at closer distances, regardless of focal length. This is true with most lenses and especially zooms.

Your results are acceptable. Now, we'd all like tack sharp images but distant object shots taken with a consumer zoom aren't gonna be tack sharp, regardless of make, model or vintage. That's why really fast, really high IQ lenses are really expensive.

Regards,
Mike
Hi Mike. well it seems to be OK from the replies I am getting, as you say we all like to get crisp clear photos but for what I paid well it's not bad if you don't want to crop much. As you say the lens is better shooting at a closer distance and the images are crisp. I am sure with time the images will get better with use!. All the best. Kevin