Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-04-2009, 07:39 AM   #1

question about DA 12-24mm

considering a ultra wide for my K10D. But as I'm still shooting a lot films on my super A, I wonder how the DA UWA will perform on the film body.

I know sigma 12-24 is a full frame but it's too expensive, too heavy, too large and the front element ... oh no

I've also heard the DA 12-24 is partly usable on film body , but I can't find any sample shot on the web any body has idea in which range it will work without a black ring/corner in the shots, say from 17-24?

And it would be more helpful if somebody can advice the answer for a same question regarding Tamron 10-24mm?

Last edited by huanjia; 05-04-2009 at 08:25 AM.
05-04-2009, 09:47 AM   #2
Veteran Member

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/31629-da-lens-...ts-thread.html
05-04-2009, 10:03 AM   #3

Original Poster
that's really helpfull thanks

hesitating between tamron 10-24 and DA 12-24 now, tamron seems to be usable from 14mm and is cheaper
05-04-2009, 10:25 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Sigma has a full frame-compatible 12-24mm I've heard good things about.

05-04-2009, 10:28 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Read the first post very carefully

"I know sigma 12-24 is a full frame but it's too expensive, too heavy, too large and the front element ... oh no"

QuoteOriginally posted by tybeck Quote
Sigma has a full frame-compatible 12-24mm I've heard good things about.
05-04-2009, 10:53 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteQuote:
huanjia: And it would be more helpful if somebody can advice the answer for a same question regarding Tamron 10-24mm?
I am currently trying to pick between the Da 12-24, Sigma 10-20 & Tamron 10-24. There is very little information out on the Tamron, even though it is available in Nikon & Canon mounts. I called Tamron last week and the rep told me they expect to release this lens, for Pentax, at the end of May or early June.

Popular Photography gave big thumbs up to this Tamron lens, but DPreview's recent review is lukewarm. I have decided to wait for the Tamron release in Pentax mount, to learn more about it. Its range and speed are very attractive, along with its terrific handling of flare--look at the full-res shots, directly into sun, at the review a little lower down. I would hate to regret my choice with my ultra wide lens--very important to me.

But it sure is great to have 3 nice ultra wides to pick from. Here is a quote from a review Tamron SP 10-24 Di II Hands-on Review A Photographic Saga: Photography and Lifestyle - General Santos City on the Tamron:

"The Tamron 10-24mm is not designed for fullframe, only for APS-C sensors. As for the price, it’s still a bit costly at around Php 23K+"
05-05-2009, 09:20 PM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jewelltrail Quote
I am currently trying to pick between the Da 12-24, Sigma 10-20 & Tamron 10-24. There is very little information out on the Tamron, even though it is available in Nikon & Canon mounts. I called Tamron last week and the rep told me they expect to release this lens, for Pentax, at the end of May or early June.

Popular Photography gave big thumbs up to this Tamron lens, but DPreview's recent review is lukewarm. I have decided to wait for the Tamron release in Pentax mount, to learn more about it. Its range and speed are very attractive, along with its terrific handling of flare--look at the full-res shots, directly into sun, at the review a little lower down. I would hate to regret my choice with my ultra wide lens--very important to me.
yes that is what I'm thinking, too. another reason for me to possibly favour the tamron is I'm still shooting film and on a super A film body DA 12-24 only starts to be usable between 17-18mm while tamron starts usable from 14-15mm. and there's the exactly same difference on DSLR body, too (10mm compare to 12mm = 15mm compare to 18mm on FF/Film) .

05-06-2009, 12:39 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteQuote:
huanjia: another reason for me to possibly favour the tamron is I'm still shooting film and on a super A film body DA 12-24 only starts to be usable between 17-18mm while tamron starts usable from 14-15mm.
So you found the answer to your question about the Tammy. Thank you for posting this information. I agree, it earns points for the Tamron corner for sure: 14-15mm on FF would be a delight.

I was looking here at Tamron images: Flickr: The Tamron 10-24mm f/3.5-4.5 Di-II LD SP Pool The lens looks very good to me, but as we all know it is important to get Full Res shots. I hope to find more full res shots, beyond the 5 posted in my first link to the Tamron review above. I'll share them if I do.

We should soon be seeing images of this lens, on a Pentax body, posted here at our forum. Perhaps then I will be able to make the difficult decision between these 3 fine lenses and sleep better. What a great position to be in: three fine ultra-wides from which to pick--is life good or what!