Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-04-2009, 12:49 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
How can I tell a Ricoh pinned lens?

Hello,

I have heard the horror stories of stuck lenses in DSLR bodies. From what I read it seems the most common problem is an extra pin used in Ricoh cameras. How can I tell if a lens has that pin? Where is it? Can this problem be prevented?
With so many lenses out there, LBA is tempting but I don't want to find out the hard way.

Thanks,

05-04-2009, 01:19 PM   #2
Pentaxian

This is a good reference, with pictures, on the pin problem and what to do about it:

Sears 60-300(auto aperture, push pull zoom): Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

Note that not all lenses with that dreaded Ricoh "pin" are problematic. I have had like four different Ricoh K-mount lenses over time, and none of them ever got stuck on my K20D.

I think what it boils down to is this: on some lenses, the pin is pretty much cylindrical and sticks out, with sharp(ish) edges, and that can get caught. The pin looks like that on the thread cited above.

But on the lenses I had, the "pin" is more of a gentle ball-shaped protrusion, which glides in and out of any obstacles (like the Pentax screw-drive opening) without getting stuck.

Your mileage may vary. I don't know if there's any definitive reference showing which lenses are which type -- but usually, it's pretty easy to remove the pin if you wish without causing any permanent damage.
05-04-2009, 05:14 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thank you!
Very useful information!
05-04-2009, 07:33 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Look at the base of the lens and the mount on your camera. The "Ricoh pin" serves the same purpose as the lens latching notch in the Pentax mount - it serves to "get stuck" in a hole in the body until a plunger in the body pushes it back into the lens.

This pin tends to get stuck in the Pentax auto focus screw hole. Not a problem on non auto-focus Pentax bodies. Pictures mentioned in the above post should help explain the problem.

Lots of us have been there, most have survived with a little help from our friends on the forums and the skills of a lock-pick.

H2

05-05-2009, 04:42 AM   #5

Now I see why mine works

Just checked mine (70~210 macro zoom Ricoh Rikenon P) and the pin is rounded. Explains why it worked fine.

Last edited by Stefan Carey; 05-05-2009 at 04:51 AM.
05-05-2009, 08:26 AM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Stefan Carey Quote
Just checked mine (70~210 macro zoom Ricoh Rikenon P) and the pin is rounded. Explains why it worked fine.

Rounded or not, there is still an element of risk. The nice thing about the rounded pin is that if it does get stuck, getting release with a feeler gauge is a lot easier.

Steve
05-05-2009, 09:31 PM   #7

Totally agree