Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-17-2007, 06:14 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
What kind of Vivatar lens is a P/KA mount?

I saw another Vivatar lens at a local flea market a 35-200 3.0-4.5. with a serial number of 77529118. Cheap of course. The mount says P/KA. I almost got fooled because he was selling it as a Pentax mount. I noticed when I took off the bottom lens cap that the flange protecting the aperture actuator is about 1 - 1.5 inches long. The normal pentax flange is about .5 inches long. What kind of Pentax camera does this fit? Does anybody know.

04-17-2007, 06:24 PM   #2
Veteran Member

P/K = Pentax K

"A" = Auto Aperture. So there whould be an "A" setting on the aperture ring.

If in doubt, you can ask the seller to try it.
04-17-2007, 07:56 PM   #3
Site Supporter

The only way to get one of the Vivitar lenses with the long metal flange to mount on a Pentax digital body. Cut the flange off using a Dremel and cut off wheel or hack saw the part off. I don't have the link to the forum page but there was a thread on the other forum a while back that showed how this was done
04-17-2007, 08:18 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kami Quote
The only way to get one of the Vivitar lenses with the long metal flange to mount on a Pentax digital body. Cut the flange off using a Dremel and cut off wheel or hack saw the part off. I don't have the link to the forum page but there was a thread on the other forum a while back that showed how this was done
Wait..whats wrong with the flange? It's fitted for pentax K mount. They would make it fit otherwise its a job unfinished.

04-17-2007, 10:27 PM   #5
Site Supporter

The metal flange is quite deep (tall) and covers a large section of the circumference of the lens mount. The depth (height) of the flange prevents the lens from fully seating in the mount. On Pentax manual film cameras this flange wasn't a problem. On most AF cameras and the digital bodies, the flange hits on the bottom edge of the mount IIRC.

The bizarre thing about the Vivitar lenses is that one 24mm f/2 could have the flange and another would not...