Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-05-2009, 06:47 AM   #1

My ltd lens doesn't underexpose (woot)

I've been messing around with my 35mm ltd for a while now and i'm still very much surprised by one thing. My K200D doesn't underexpose like all my other lenses do. All my other lenses (see my signature for a full list) underexpose by roughly 0.5 - 1.0 so as a result, I almost always have the camera sett to -0.5 EV. With my 35mm ltd lens on the other hand, it seems to be spot on with 0.0EV. I thought metering would be the same regardless of the lens, but obviously I'm wrong. Has anyone else noticed this?

05-05-2009, 07:20 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you say you have your camera set at -0.5 EV, that means you are dialing half stop underexposure. Than means your camera es overexposing with all your lenses.

I strongly believe your camera is exposing properly, but you have a "sense" everything is coming out a bit overexposed (too bright). I guess its a matter of "taste" or even a misadjusted monitor.

In my case, I've found my istD and my K20D expose properly with all my lenses, except my FA 135/2.8 IF, which underexposes by 2/3 stops, so anytime I use this lens, with either body, I have to dial up +0.7 EV.
05-05-2009, 07:40 AM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by alehel Quote
I thought metering would be the same regardless of the lens, but obviously I'm wrong. Has anyone else noticed this?
Metering is the same, however your subjects may not be. Have you verified this by shooting the same subject, same field of view, same lighting and identical camera settings with different lenses? Set your camera on a tripod, set mode to mode Av, set, say, f/8, let camera calculate shutter speed and take a picture of the same scene with DA35 and then with DA18-55 @ 35mm. I would be surprised if you notice any significant difference. (There will be *slight* variations though due to imperfections in aperture actuator to aperture blades coupling, but more like a fraction of a stop.)

I have read a lot of complaints of DA 16-45 underexposing at 16mm and working well at 45mm, but that's not my experience. Perhaps at 16mm people include white clouds, bright sky, etc, and camera pushes everything down to protect highlights, while at 45mm compositions are usually much tighter with less extremes, and suddenly our cameras and lenses work fine. I think this scenario accounts for 90% of reported "underexposure" problems.
05-05-2009, 08:57 AM   #4

Original Poster
Sorry my mistake. I meant to say that I always have my other lenses set to +0.5EV, not -0.5.

05-05-2009, 12:35 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I agree, what's changed is probably the subjects and your perception of what consitutes a proper exposure. Shoot a gray card or similar neutral subject and see if you don't end up with correct (eg, histogram smewhat left of center) exposure right out of the box with all your lenses. Beyond that, everything is subjective.
05-05-2009, 12:41 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I'm not so certain about that - I think with the wide angles etc having more sky does increase the under exposing tendencies, but this is a constant with my K100D as well, with most lenses. The 43 and 70 don't do it as much. It's the 'bias against blowing out high lights' - the histograms tend to be bunched towards the left. Exposure compensation and manual metering are a way of life with the Pentax cameras. And I think some of this has been engineered into some of the zooms (especially) as part of the transfer function that creates a sensation of saturated and contrasty color.

I've taken the same photo with the 43 and the 16-45 at a similar focal length. The zoom photo comes out darker, seemingly more contrasty. The 43 has the greater latitude however.