Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-07-2009, 07:45 AM   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
hoho, I didn't like the zeiss, the resolution was very good but the bokeh wasn't even remotely in the same league as the FA77 or the FA31. The colour rendition was a bit flat, I got the Pentax K 50mm f/1.2 because it's a stop faster than the limited lenses, and its bokeh is absolutely phenomenal, and it's optical performance is quite good from f/1.2- to f/1.8 it starts getting critically sharp at f/2.0 to f/2.8 and at f/4 it is basically as good as it gets.

Last edited by Digitalis; 05-07-2009 at 07:58 AM.
05-07-2009, 12:58 PM   #32

I love the bokeh of my Zeiss verry much.

But this is only my feeling.

This pic is the Zeiss at f1.4

and this is at f4.0

05-07-2009, 01:17 PM   #33
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by HoHo Quote
I love the bokeh of my Zeiss verry much.

But this is only my feeling.

This pic is the Zeiss at f1.4

and this is at f4.0

Stunning HoHo!

I hear the Zeiss and Voigtlanders are all made in the same factory. The Nokton build is excellent, mostly metal with a nicely damped rubberized focusing ring.

I wonder how close the Voigtlander 58mm 1.4 and the Zeiss 50 1.4 are in IQ? The Voigt is known for its bokeh, but it's also very sharp.

That first pic--love the B&W. Was there any fringing there before the conversion? I know the Voigtlander has some purple fringing wide open.
05-07-2009, 01:38 PM   #34

Sorry that I didnīt write so much, but my english is not so good.

But I understand all your words.

Here is the original pic from the glases in front of the mirror, in my Flickr you will find this pic in full size.

Cheers HoHo

05-07-2009, 05:29 PM   #35

50/1.4

I just purchased an A series

50/1.4 for $106. Here's a photo taken with it:

This was taken with a *ist DS. As I wanted the 1.4 aperture, I used Av mode.
My decision to buy this lens was based on using both a SuperTak 50/1.4 and an SMC Tak 50/1.4 on the DS (with adapter ring). These lenses are leftovers from my Spotmatic days! I used mainly the SuperTak, as the SMC has some extra 'stuff' on the back that seemed to hang up a bit on the adapter ring.

My main concern was whether I'd be happy with the focal length. For some time I'd been thinking I'd rather have a fast prime with a bit shorter focal length, but the screw mount tests convinced me that 50mm would be good.

I was also considering getting a K or M series 50/1.4, but decided to have the full aperture automation available if I wanted it. The M42s took great photos, but they are clumsy to work with on the DS. They were fine on the Spotmatics, particularly the SMC on the Spotmatic F. Hence the decision for A series.

Main reason for not going FA was financial. An added cost that I don't really feel is justified. The above photo was manual focus with the stock matte screen using a 60+ year old eyeball. Does make me glad I chose a camera with the prism vs the mirror thing.

Al
05-07-2009, 08:41 PM   #36
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

nice Bokeh in that image...whichever variant of the Pentax 50 f/1.4 you go for, you really can't go wrong.
05-08-2009, 05:37 AM   #37
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
Just out of curiosity, what brands is the Cosina sold / found under?
For once they marketed it as their own. "Cosina MC 55mm 1:1.2"

I have one and the lens is great. There is a thread here with lots of samples from it.

05-08-2009, 01:55 PM   #38
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by eyou Quote
well you tell me (thats why i posted!). i've never had the 1.4, but there are times i feel where having that 2/3 - 1 stop of light would be very helpful (for some reason, all my friends places are like low lit caves. 1/15 -> 1/30s would help make/break some low light images). i also like really narrow DOF

it sounds like you have both 43mm and fast fifty so which do you end up using more? which would you never leave your bag? am i wasting $ on this when i could buy a different lens?

it is LBA.... i dont NEED (or i would have bought one already), I just want. I feel i missed the fast 50mm bandwagon and with a good deal in front of my face. maybe i'll buy it and if i dont like it/dont use it, i can sell it on here for someone else who'll make better use of it.

Also checked ebay for some cosina 55mm. 0 search results. is this an infrequent lens?
Interesting issue. I have several of the fast fifthies and love them. For 90 USD, an SMC-A version is hard to beat. it has a very solid construction mechanically (much better than the A 50/1.7, which contains loads of cheap plastic), very smooth focusing and a modern and very good optics. Nevertheless I often use the FA 50/1.4, because it is just so convenient... I am, looking from the other side, bothered by the question, whether it is worth having the 43mm Ltd., too - just because it has this high reputation and it is a nicely made lens....

Ben
11-23-2009, 05:17 AM   #39
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
...whichever variant of the Pentax 50 f/1.4 you go for, you really can't go wrong.
+1 for this sentiment. I've got a Tak and the A, both are great. If you don't want to have to manually fiddle with aperture, go for the latter. Either way, both are available cheaply and both product stunning results.
11-23-2009, 11:46 AM   #40

If you want a 50mm specifically for using it wide open get the new sigma 50mm 1.4 because it outperforms all 50mm 1.4 lenses in terms of sharpness wide openeven the DA*

However you mention you're buying it so you can use faster shutter speeds. If that is your main issue, don't get a new lens but get a K-x and use a higher iso.