Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-07-2009, 07:55 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Voodoo Daddy Quote
Wow! Thanks for all the advice and Info, everyone. I can't believe the level of participitation on this forum! This was only my second post here, besides my "hello" post, and the response was tremendous. I'm looking forward to putting all this advice to use.
Hello Voodoo Daddy! Welcome to the forum. Please feel free to ask any questions
you like. Look over all of the catergories as well and you can find a lot of information to fit your particular needs.

Yours truly,

Robert

05-07-2009, 08:28 AM   #17
Pentaxian

the FA77 f/1.8 limited manages surprisingly well with accessory close up lenses. though you will want to stop it down to f/4 or higher to maintain high image quality. But the FA77's silky smooth bokeh remains intact with a +2 diopter in place....and even with a +3 and a+2 sandwiched together.

these images were taken with the FA77limited and Hoya multicoated close up lenses, with a wireless AF540FGZ+ stofen diffuser to knock the power down on the flash, and to produce even and soft light output.

Last edited by Digitalis; 09-24-2009 at 01:47 AM.
05-07-2009, 03:21 PM   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by res3567 Quote
What do reccomend.

The 250 or150?
Totally depends on whether you want to be about 4 inches away and getting more magnification or 8 inches away and getting less. The 150 was good enough to get me images like the fly, and being twice as far away made it less likely to fly away. But if you want a closeup of the a bugs eye, you'll ned to get closer, do the 250 would make more sense.

QuoteQuote:
Also is this a universal accesory or is this camera specific?
Universal. It has a 43mm thread, which fits basically nothing in Pentax DSLR-land, but it comes with an attachment that lets you clip it on to lenses with filter threads 52mm and larger - which is to say, all Pentax zooms. Most Pentax primes have 49mm threads, so you'll need an additional adapter to use it with them. I just purchased a 43-49mm adapter from

HeavyStar Photo Gears Home Page

and it arrived today. Now I can use the Raynox directly with my DA70 and M135/3.5 without the somewhat clumsy clip on attachment.

QuoteQuote:
The Ebay page has it listed for different types of cameras.
I suspect they do that so that it shows up in more searches.
05-07-2009, 04:00 PM   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
...It has a 43mm thread, which fits basically nothing in Pentax DSLR-land, but it comes with an attachment that lets you clip it on to lenses with filter threads 52mm and larger - which is to say, all Pentax zooms. Most Pentax primes have 49mm threads, so you'll need an additional adapter to use it with them. I just purchased a 43-49mm adapter from

and it arrived today. Now I can use the Raynox directly with my DA70 and M135/3.5 without the somewhat clumsy clip on attachment.
Hey Marc,

This is what I did:

Take an old 52mm and an old 49mm (e.g. 81 or 85), remove the glass and glue (I use epoxy) the (empty) rings front-to-front. Call this 49-to-52 reversing step-up ring.

Buy a 49-to-52 step-up ring.

- The thread of one side the Raynox is 49mm (the other side is 43mm). With the 49-to-52 reversing step-up ring, you can attach the Raynox directly to a lens with 52mm thread.

- You can attach the Raynox directly to a lens with 49mm thread (lens -> 49-to-52 step-up ring -> 49-to-52 reversing step-up ring -> Raynox).

- You can use the 49-to-52 reversing step-up ring to attach a 49mm-thread lens in reverse to a 52mm-thread lens (e.g. a reversed 50mm F/1.4 to an DA 50-200).

- The 49-to-52 step up ring can be used in front of a 49mm-thread lens to attached the Raynox universal adapter (If you don't know this already: do not attach the Raynox universal adapter to a 49mm-thread lens. The "ears" on the universal adapter may break. Don't ask me how I know .)

- When not in used, the 49-to-52 step up ring can be attached to the Raynox lens. I put a 52mm cap on to protect the Raynox.

05-07-2009, 04:25 PM   #20
Veteran Member

[QUOTE=SOldBear;586587]Hey Marc,

QUOTE]

That what I did. We all on the same page!
05-07-2009, 04:29 PM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SOldBear Quote
Hey Marc,

This is what I did:

Take an old 52mm and an old 49mm (e.g. 81 or 85), remove the glass and glue (I use epoxy) the (empty) rings front-to-front. Call this 49-to-52 reversing step-up ring.

- The thread of one side the Raynox is 49mm (the other side is 43mm). With the 49-to-52 reversing step-up ring, you can attach the Raynox directly to a lens with 52mm thread.

- You can attach the Raynox directly to a lens with 49mm thread (lens -> 49-to-52 step-up ring -> 49-to-52 reversing step-up ring -> Raynox).

- You can use the 49-to-52 reversing step-up ring to attach a 49mm-thread lens in reverse to a 52mm-thread lens (e.g. a reversed 50mm F/1.4 to an DA 50-200).

- The 49-to-52 step up ring can be used in front of a 49mm-thread lens to attached the Raynox universal adapter (If you don't know this already: do not attach the Raynox universal adapter to a 49mm-thread lens. The "ears" on the universal adapter may break. Don't ask me how I know .)

- When not in used, the 49-to-52 step up ring can be attached to the Raynox lens. I put a 52mm cap on to protect the Raynox.
Totally depends on whether you want to be about 4 inches away and getting more magnification or 8 inches away and getting less. The 150 was good enough to get me images like the fly, and being twice as far away made it less likely to fly away. But if you want a closeup of the a bugs eye, you'll ned to get closer, do the 250 would make more sense.

Universal. It has a 43mm thread, which fits basically nothing in Pentax DSLR-land, but it comes with an attachment that lets you clip it on to lenses with filter threads 52mm and larger - which is to say, all Pentax zooms. Most Pentax primes have 49mm threads, so you'll need an additional adapter to use it with them. I just purchased a 43-49mm adapter from

Maybe I should get both!
05-07-2009, 04:30 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Maybe I should get both!
05-07-2009, 05:58 PM   #23
Pentaxian

I have one of these; that's how I had been using the clip-on adapter with my 49mm filter lenses as it was. But my new 49-43 is much nicer to work with than that.

QuoteQuote:
Basically, you're talking about reversing the Raynox, right? I had wondered about doing something like this, but wasn't sure what effect it would have optically. Reversing a regular lens makes it focus closer; would reversing the Raynox make it focus *further*? I guess not...

Anyhow, I'll probably just get myself a 52-49 step-down ring or else a 52-43 to let me use the Raynox with my 52mm filter lenses without the adapter - but I'm less concerned about that.

QuoteQuote:
True, although I have primes with me more often than my 50-200, so I'd actually rather have a 49-49 reversing ring. But that's fiddlier to work with than the Raynox.

QuoteQuote:
And I just realized a 49mm cap fits as it is!

Thanks for the suggestions! They are all worth looking into for anyone who has or is considering getting the Raynox.

05-10-2009, 10:00 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Hey Marc,

This is what I did:

How do safely remove the glass?
05-11-2009, 10:25 PM   #25
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by res3567 Quote
How do safely remove the glass?
Some filters keep the glass in place with a threaded ring. I use the paws of a dial caliper as a spanner to remove the threaded ring, pull out the glass and (optionally) re-install the threaded ring.

Some filters keep the glass in place with a piece of springy metal. I use a small screw driver and a pair of pliers to pry this piece of metal out.

That is, if I want to be nice. If not, I just break the glass. The glass is useless anyway.
05-12-2009, 02:43 PM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Voodoo Daddy Quote
Hi, I am looking for some advice on close up filters. I wanted to try some macro shooting, but did not want to spend the money for a macro lens yet. I was curious if anyone has tried them as an alternative to a true macro lens. Also, with which one of my lenses they would give the best results. Due to the different thread sizes, I only want to buy for one lens. I was thinking of the Hoya +1, +2, +4 set.
My lenses
DA*50-135, FA50-1.4, DA18-55, Kiron 80-200 f/4, Kiron 28-80 f/3.2-4.5

Thanks!
Lately I've been carrying the Minolta #0 (+1 diopter) and Minolta #2 (+3.8 diopter) 49mm thread two-element achromats -- both are useful for close-focus work when I'm not hauling around a proper macro lens. Both provide more working distance (and less magnification) than either of the Raynoxes.

The (+3.3 diopter) close-up lens that Cosina/Vivitar/Promaster sells with the 100mm/3.5 macro is pretty good too. (Hinman has tested this one with several lenses -- look for his posts on this forum.)

Also check out:

Currently Available 2 Element (Achromatic) Close-up Lenses

Prices and availability are out of date but at least it's comprehensive.