Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-07-2009, 07:04 AM   #1
Inactive Account




Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Italy
Posts: 15
portrait pictures with 21 ltd

What do you think about ?

Is it possible to shoot professional portrait with 21 ?

Or is it really too short?

Did anyone try ?


Thanks
Davide

05-07-2009, 07:45 AM   #2
New Member




Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Richmond, VA
Posts: 14
I think it depends on the style/look you are going for. I don't have the Pentax 21, but have a Sigma 20 1.8 and actually will be doing my first model shoot with it later today, along with the FA50 1.4... I'll try to post some shots with the 20 later.

I intend to get "portraits" with it, although it wouldn't really be conventional portraiture.
05-07-2009, 09:15 AM   #3
Veteran Member




Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: NYC
Posts: 944
probably not ideal lens for portraits .

Well on the street to get a face portrait you will have to stand in the person nose .

Indoor/ studio maybe can work but then this lens rather slow for bokeh and in portraitist you will want it very much.

The 21mm is the perfect lens for traditional street and land scape shoot . and this range it on my short term to buy list.
05-07-2009, 09:58 AM   #4
Veteran Member
farfisa's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Toronto, Canada
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,274
QuoteOriginally posted by Davidex Quote
What do you think about ?

Is it possible to shoot professional portrait with 21 ?

Or is it really too short?

Did anyone try ?


Thanks
Davide
Absolutely--check out soccerjoe5's portraits with the 21 (photos 2-5 of this post):

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/535961-post17.html

He has lots more with this lens. Requires getting in close, but great results!

05-07-2009, 10:11 AM   #5
Veteran Member




Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Toronto
Posts: 3,915
what kind of portrait? just the face? or body up? or body up and some background?
05-07-2009, 09:12 PM   #6
Veteran Member
soccerjoe5's Avatar

Join Date: May 2008
Location: Philippines
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,354
QuoteOriginally posted by farfisa Quote
Absolutely--check out soccerjoe5's portraits with the 21 (photos 2-5 of this post):

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/535961-post17.html

He has lots more with this lens. Requires getting in close, but great results!
Thanks farfisa

This is one of my favorite lenses so far, you can include some context and character to your portraits with a little practice and creativity.

If you want isolation of a face/person, a longer lens would do a better job. You'll have to decide what kind of look you want and then you choose what tool/lens you need for the job. Takes a while to make it come naturally but with practice and time it'll be second nature.

Try out the different focal lengths and see what suits your style/taste
05-07-2009, 10:09 PM   #7
Veteran Member
nulla's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Melbourne Australia
Posts: 1,560
QuoteOriginally posted by soccerjoe5 Quote
Thanks farfisa

This is one of my favorite lenses so far, you can include some context and character to your portraits with a little practice and creativity.

If you want isolation of a face/person, a longer lens would do a better job. You'll have to decide what kind of look you want and then you choose what tool/lens you need for the job. Takes a while to make it come naturally but with practice and time it'll be second nature.

Try out the different focal lengths and see what suits your style/taste
Great advice
05-08-2009, 12:06 AM   #8
axl
Veteran Member




Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Nove Zamky, Slovakia
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 7,181
yes, Diego's (soccerjoe's) shots say it all,
no more answers need to be given...

BR

Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
k-mount, pentax lens, portrait, slr lens
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
When you take a picture in a portrait shot do you rotate it back to portrait and save rustynail925 Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 24 08-22-2010 08:29 AM
Portrait pictures, is a bracket necessary. Kirk Smithson Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 10 12-10-2009 07:40 AM
what is going on in these pictures? throndor Photographic Technique 16 09-11-2008 03:14 PM
various pictures gokenin Post Your Photos! 1 01-08-2008 06:59 PM
Portrait, Self-Portrait and a Bonus, all in one shot! Buddha Jones Post Your Photos! 7 05-07-2007 05:52 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:24 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top