Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-18-2007, 10:44 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
How do I use an M lens on K10D

I got a hold of a M 50 f2 and when I put it on the 10D all I get is a blinking F-- and I cant even release the shutter. What steps do I need to take to get this to work?

04-18-2007, 01:02 PM   #2

Enable aperture ring

First you must modify custom settings to use manual aperture (menu, custom settings, 3 times up,Usign aperture ring=permitted).

Then you can either use aperture priority mode or manual mode with some help of the green button for faster shutter speed selection. Don't forget to set your body in manual focus mode .

Last but not least, if you have shake reduction enabled when you switch your camera on it will ask you for the lens focus length as it can't detect it automatically.

Happy manual using !
04-18-2007, 02:02 PM   #3
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Buddha Jones Quote
I got a hold of a M 50 f2 and when I put it on the 10D all I get is a blinking F-- and I cant even release the shutter. What steps do I need to take to get this to work?
If you use the aperture priority mode, the camera will only use the lens wide open. In you case it will be f2.

In manual mode, it works as said above. You can check the speed setting after using the green button fearture with the stop down check on the on off switch to double check if you want to, as you´ll get the light meter in the veiwfinder when you activate the stop down check.

However, the K10D is known to have exposure problems when metering stopped down, so the best thing is to shoot a test image first and dial from there. Please be sure to get back to us with your experience with the exposure in Manual mode, as my K10D is doing several stops of over-exposure at small apertures. It would be interesting to hear how your camera is acting.

// Mats
04-18-2007, 02:12 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Like ochoto said after you set aprture ring = permitted in custom menu, set green button in TAV & M to Tv shift and when you press it it will stop down the lens and take a reading and give you a shutter speed. If it is like mine you may have to set the shutter another stop or so faster than it tells you, or stop the lens down, check the histogram. I think it's sounds worse than it is once you get used to it.
Also AV mode won't stop down the lens (wide open ).
congratulations on the new camera btw
tom
....I was saving for a ds when they came out with the k100,k110 and then the k10d and I always wanted an LX when I had my k1000 so I scraped up the dough for the k10d and love it!...

04-19-2007, 11:21 AM   #5

QuoteQuote:
If you use the aperture priority mode, the camera will only use the lens wide open. In you case it will be f2.
Ooops! I'm sorry for any incovenience, I've done some tests and you are right, although i don't fully understand how can it be. If the camera can't set the aperture how can it use the maximun aperture after I set, say, f/11 with the ring ?

Thanks i've used manual settings with my M50 1.4 and Takumar 135 2.5