Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-18-2007, 12:22 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Visit of Professional Imaging 2007 in Zurich

As announced earlier, I visited this afternoon the Professional Imaging expo in Zurich. The main goal of the fair is to show the new products to the professionals and the retailers. As an amateur photographer, the fair was not really aimed to me, but it was an interesting visit.

The fair is rather small. Pentax, Samsung and Olympus were at the fair themselves, but Nikon, Canon, Sony, Sigma, Tamron were presented by their swiss distributors. So here is a short overview of what could be of interest to most people on this forum.

Pentax

DA*16-50/2.8 & DA*50-135/2.8
Both lenses were presented. They were working lenses and I could use them a bit. The mount features both AF mechanism, the well known mechanical way and the electric contacts. AF should not be a problem. Both lenses are of excellent build quality. The 50-135 is not as heavy as I would have expected.

First I mounted the 16-50 on the K10D. AF is fast and very quiet. When you hit the AF button, except the beep of the camera indicating focus, you hear nearly nothing. I am eagerly awaiting this lens. Then I tried the 50-135. The AF is also fast but not as quiet and smooth compared to the 16-50.

I asked about the availability of these lenses. All I got is "summer". I could not get a more precise answer. As I said I will go to South Africa on holiday in August, I have been told this should be enough time to get one.

DA*200 & DA*300 & DA*60-250
These lenses were under glass. I have been told, these are "cosmetic models", not even mock ups.

645D
The 645D was under glass too. They did not say anything about the stated of the exposed model. 645D should be available by end of the year.

More lenses to come
I have asked about the future plans in the lens roadmap. What is going beyond the current lens road map is unknown. Doing a lot of wildlife, I wanted to know if something around 400-500mm is planned. This is unknown, but the Pentax rep hoped they will come out with longer tele lenses.

So I have asked if they have any other solution if I wanted a lens beyond 300mm, I mentioned the Pentax 400mm prime and the 250-600 zoom. They could not tell me if these lenses can still be ordered, but warned me I might be disappointed when using these lenses on the K10D as they do not offer enough resolution power for this camera.

Other stuff
Pentax Switzerland does at the moment just get enough K10D with 18-55 lenses to nearly cope with the high demand but a waiting time on other lenses is still high.

Pentax has still no plan in releasing a macro ring flash. The Pentax guy said he would like one himself, but so far, nothing is known about.

Sigma

HSM lenses for Pentax
Sigma puts priority on the high demand of HSM lenses for Nikon and Canon. They think that Sigma could very well release HSM lenses in Pentax mount but nothing is known or planned at the moment, Pentax patents might however make it impossible for Sigma without licensing.

EM140DG ring flash for Pentax
A release date for the long announced EM140 macro ring flash in Pentax mount is not known. Since february, an order number has been created and Sigma might well wait to have enough orders before starting the manufacturing.

Samsung

Samsung is expected to release their own DSLR (and not copies of Pentax DSLRs) using Pentax mount in the future. Own SchneiderKreuznach designed lenses in SSM are also possible, but nothing is planned. Demand for GX10 is strong. Samsung could sell a lot of GX10 to customers waiting the K10D.

04-18-2007, 03:21 PM   #2

Now that I know the DA* 16-50mm and 50-135mm are shown and can even be tested, I might visit the Professional-Imaging'07.

Btw, could you test the DA* on your own K10D and/or keep the images you took, or is it mounted on one of their K10D?
04-18-2007, 05:18 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Thanks for sharing all the info. I am excited that the 16-50 focussed so quielty and quickly.

Any word from Sigma on making more of their faster f2.8 lens available in Pentax?
04-18-2007, 08:53 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Dammit Samsung...They haven't even done anything with their firmware except add SDHC compatibility....something Pentax did a LONG time ago.

If Samsung was more 'devoted' to their products, I might actually look forward to a this 'new' original dSLR they have in the works..

Sigh..if only Ricoh got back into the slr camera business with Pentax.

04-18-2007, 09:28 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Lazar Quote
Now that I know the DA* 16-50mm and 50-135mm are shown and can even be tested, I might visit the Professional-Imaging'07.

Btw, could you test the DA* on your own K10D and/or keep the images you took, or is it mounted on one of their K10D?
I could mount these lenses on my own K10D and keep the images, no problem.
04-18-2007, 09:30 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Wethphotography Quote
Thanks for sharing all the info. I am excited that the 16-50 focussed so quielty and quickly.

Any word from Sigma on making more of their faster f2.8 lens available in Pentax?
Sigma concentrates on Nikon and Canon. I could not get any single hint if Sigma would release HSM lenses or any other f2.8 lens in Pentax mount. But keep in mind that at the expo, I was talking to the swiss distributor of Sigma and not a rep of Sigma.
04-18-2007, 09:36 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by FotoPete Quote
Dammit Samsung...They haven't even done anything with their firmware except add SDHC compatibility....something Pentax did a LONG time ago.

If Samsung was more 'devoted' to their products, I might actually look forward to a this 'new' original dSLR they have in the works..

Sigh..if only Ricoh got back into the slr camera business with Pentax.
The first thing I tested while having the GX10 in the hands is if the ISO could be changed just by hitting the OK button like on the newest Pentax upgrade. It did not work. As I told it to the Samsung rep., he wanted to see it on my K10D, so I showed him.

He found it an interesting feature but did not know if Samsung is preparing a firmware upgrade or not.
04-18-2007, 10:16 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I'm going back to pentax when my GX-1L dies after the warranty haha. Rather get a used *ist D and a battery grip. As close as I'm going to get to experiencing the K10D + Grip.

Last edited by FotoPete; 04-18-2007 at 10:25 PM.
04-19-2007, 12:11 AM   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by tcom Quote
I could mount these lenses on my own K10D and keep the images, no problem.
Could you plz show us some

Do you have pictures taken with the DA*16-50mm at 16mm - f2.8 and f4?
04-19-2007, 12:36 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Lazar Quote
Could you plz show us some

Do you have pictures taken with the DA*16-50mm at 16mm - f2.8 and f4?
I have no photo taken with the 16-50. When I took out my own K10D, someone else took the 16-50, so I could only take photos with the 50-135. But would first need to convert them from RAW.