Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-08-2009, 07:42 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Sigma 10-20mm (4-5.6) filter question

I have acquired a 10-20mm (4-5.6 - old design) Sigma lens. It seems (although I don't know how to know definitively) that when adding a filter, the filter stops threading due to contacting the front element, not running out of threads. The filter happens to be a plain uncoated Tiffen (not a "thin" variety.) I'm only saying this because a piece of lens tissue seems to wedge solidly between the filter and front element before it runs out of threads.

I'm not sure if there are specifications for bottom-of-thread to glass distance for filters, but I'm wondering if anyone else has encountered, or wondered about, this situation.

I also noted that the new 77mm Tiffen Haze 1 is dramatically thinner than the closest similar filter I have, a 2 yr old 67mm Tiffen UV Protector, and the glass is much closer to the bottom of the filter threads on the new 77mm filter.

Thanks

Paul

Last edited by tibbitts; 05-08-2009 at 08:38 AM.
05-08-2009, 06:00 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Just to reply to my own post, installing a rubber band at the base of the threads on the filter ring seems to be a workaround for the problem; there are still plenty of threads left to secure the filter.

Paul
05-08-2009, 10:15 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tibbitts Quote
I have acquired a 10-20mm (4-5.6 - old design) Sigma lens. It seems (although I don't know how to know definitively) that when adding a filter, the filter stops threading due to contacting the front element, not running out of threads. The filter happens to be a plain uncoated Tiffen (not a "thin" variety.) I'm only saying this because a piece of lens tissue seems to wedge solidly between the filter and front element before it runs out of threads.

I'm not sure if there are specifications for bottom-of-thread to glass distance for filters, but I'm wondering if anyone else has encountered, or wondered about, this situation.

I also noted that the new 77mm Tiffen Haze 1 is dramatically thinner than the closest similar filter I have, a 2 yr old 67mm Tiffen UV Protector, and the glass is much closer to the bottom of the filter threads on the new 77mm filter.

Thanks

Paul
I did read where this can be a problem before I bought a filter for my Sigma 10-20mm. I bought the Hoya PRO 1D and was not sure if it would clear . I did the tissue paper test and it did clear the lens. The Hoya a thin frame filter of 3mm, so I though this may bring the glass too close to the lens, bought it sits up in the filter frame and the glass is kinda thin compared to some older types. But you have a valid point and one that all owners of the Sigma 10-20mm should be aware of.

Thanks
05-09-2009, 03:36 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
I have Hoya pro 1D CL-Pol and some Dörr 77mm DHG UV filter which I use separately with my Sigma 10-20mm. Neither will touch the front element when fully screwed down.

07-28-2009, 03:05 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
update

I thought I would update this and let everyone know that Tiffen responded to my query and sent me a spacer ring (basically a washer) to fit between the lens and filter. While not a perfect solution, I think that's outstanding customer service for such a moderately priced item (the basic Haze-1 Tiffen filter.)

Paul
07-29-2009, 02:09 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Thanks Tibbitts, I wasn't aware of the problem. Fortunately both my Hoya CPL and UV(0) filters pass the tissue paper test.

Good Luck

David
04-22-2014, 05:59 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Well, it's been 5 years since I started this thread, but Sigma is still selling 10-20mm 4-5.6s. (Many) filter models have changed, however, so I thought I'd see if anyone has more recent experiences with either CPL or UV/protection filters - models they can confirm won't hit that almost-protruding front element. Thanks.

04-22-2014, 06:33 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I usually don't use filters, but w/ the way that front lens sticks out on my 10-20, I do on this one. I'm using a Hoya HMC 77mm UV[0] that works without touching.