Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-09-2009, 06:35 PM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
I like your logic, old buddy . . . . but my wife won't. We had a chute on our previous boat, and she purposely sent the kids below when we hoisted, dropped or jibed it in order to limit their exposure the foul language that I would issue whenever I dealt with that #$%@&^ sail. Still, when it was set and drawing, it was a thing to behold and would be wonderful to photograph with a DA 15 or with my DA 10-17 FE.

Jer
I can ID, I used to try to single hand a chute on my folkboat, lot smaller sail but still could be a pita, and don't EVEN think about jibing it. Sill if a chute won't work how 'bout a new kevlar 180 (or even bigger) jenny? Think of how nice those different color panels will look in the photos!

NaCl(It could even be a mother's day present!)H2O

05-11-2009, 11:42 AM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mrcrontab Quote
Now you're going to have to get one of these.. or two of them

Sadly, this case sealed the deal for the 15mm instead of 12-24mm. Props to Pentax USA for the idea.

The 15,35, and 77 will fit nice and snug.
Verrrrrry niiiiiiiice. Thanks for pointing this case out. At the risk of high-jacking the thread, I haven't been able to find the dimensions of this (other than to add the dimensions of the 3 largest DA Ltd's). Would it hold a FA 31 and an FA 77? What about the girth of a 10-17?
Thx in advance...
05-11-2009, 03:31 PM   #18
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by beaumont Quote
Verrrrrry niiiiiiiice. Thanks for pointing this case out. At the risk of high-jacking the thread, I haven't been able to find the dimensions of this (other than to add the dimensions of the 3 largest DA Ltd's). Would it hold a FA 31 and an FA 77? What about the girth of a 10-17?
Thx in advance...
Don't worry about high-jacking the thread; I just stuck my DA 10-17 in my case and it does - indeed - fit and will close. I don't think there's any way this thing will hold an FA 31 (a big sucker), FA 77 and the FE zoom, but I don't own the FA's so maybe I'm wrong. However, Ned Bunnell has pointed out in his blog that the case is really designed for DA Limiteds and doesn't recommend it for FA Limiteds.

Jer
05-11-2009, 04:24 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Thanks for the response Sailor. My hope is that it will hold two of the three lenses at any given time, and it sounds like it might. (I believe the girth of the 10-17 is larger than the 31, but I will check tonight.)
Thx again, and congrats on the new lens. We look forward to seeing some of the results!

Edit: Just found Ned Bunnell site that makes the reference:

A few people have asked if you can use this case for the FA Limited's. As I only have a 31mm Limited with me, I posted a photo below showing this lens in the case. Not sure if the photo does a good job of showing it, but the 31mm is too big for the case. Very tight fit and too much pressure on the zipper to close the case. Sort of like trying to fit a size 10 foot in a 9 shoe!

Sounds like it may not be the best plan....but what the heck we'll grab one anyway...

thx again

Last edited by beaumont; 05-11-2009 at 04:39 PM.
05-11-2009, 04:33 PM   #20
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by NaClH2O Quote
I can ID, I used to try to single hand a chute on my folkboat, lot smaller sail but still could be a pita, and don't EVEN think about jibing it. Sill if a chute won't work how 'bout a new kevlar 180 (or even bigger) jenny? Think of how nice those different color panels will look in the photos!

NaCl(It could even be a mother's day present!)H2O
You know, old friend, it's time you get back on the water - I think we had a conversation about Folkboats a long time ago, and I'll make the same recommendation now that I made then: buy an FG one and live up! If you do, call me; I'd love to sail on a legend.

Jer
05-12-2009, 10:29 PM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mrcrontab Quote
Now you're going to have to get one of these.. or two of them

Sadly, this case sealed the deal for the 15mm instead of 12-24mm. Props to Pentax USA for the idea.

The 15,35, and 77 will fit nice and snug.
Where'd you order the case and how much?

Sailor, any updates on your DA15 experience?
05-13-2009, 04:48 AM   #22
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by soccerjoe5 Quote
Where'd you order the case and how much?

Sailor, any updates on your DA15 experience?
I bought my case from the Pentax (US) online store, but B&H has them (you have to search) for a few bucks less.

I haven't received my DA 15 yet; B&H shipped it Monday morning with Friday as the target delivery date. I'll post some shots when I get it.

Jer
05-14-2009, 09:43 AM   #23

I bought from B&H, they have it incorrectly labeled as a DA15 replacement case. Well, I guess it is, but their description is misleading as it doesn't mention the other 2 slots.

B&H was the only place I could find it outside of pentaxwebstore, it is $10 cheaper on B&H.

Pentax part #85122
Search bhphotovideo for pentax soft lens case and you will see it.

According to Ned's blog they were manufactured by Caselogic for Pentax USA.

05-14-2009, 02:49 PM   #24
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I love the case, and this little lens is just what I've been missing. I'd rush in right away if the DA 15 would show up on my credit card's "rewards" site. It's a painless way to satisfy an LBA.
05-14-2009, 04:06 PM   #25
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Not foolish, and not necessarily rushing in...
No doubt you've thought for a couple of seconds before ordering the DA 15?!?
I don't think it was a mistake to get an old 2nd hand *ist D (ie. first line production cam) as a backup body - just a workhorse and produces beautiful 6Mp images!
05-14-2009, 08:02 PM   #26
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Not foolish, and not necessarily rushing in...
No doubt you've thought for a couple of seconds before ordering the DA 15?!?
I don't think it was a mistake to get an old 2nd hand *ist D (ie. first line production cam) as a backup body - just a workhorse and produces beautiful 6Mp images!
Actually, I thought about for a while - but moved into the purchase in a pico second when my wife wasn't looking.

Like you, I still love the look of the 6Mp sensor; I miss my (now my daughter's) DS2.

Jer