Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-11-2009, 08:19 AM   #1
Pentaxian

rear lens cap question

I find that the OEM Pentax rear caps for my DA lenses aren't exactly secure. The Sigma rear cap that came with my Sigma lens (during its brief two-week life with me, before I lost it), seemed to be indexed in a way that made it more complicated to attach (I think - not many observations there), but was relatively secure (maybe because it was new; I'll never know.)

Since I now need at least one new rear cap, does anyone have a source of easy-to-use-but-secure caps? I definitely don't want something like my Canon FD rear caps, which require negotiation to remove/install, but I don't like the Pentax OEM caps falling off either (especially after a few uses.)

I assume any K cap will fit any lens(?)

Thanks

Paul

05-11-2009, 08:26 AM   #2
Veteran Member

I have a few loose rear caps as well. Have been thinking of heating them with a hair dryer and squishing the bayonet channel a bit to give them more grab. It's on my rainy day list of things to do...
05-11-2009, 08:42 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Try a few dabs of finger nail polish or a silicon sealer in stratigic spots. Just don't try to remove the enamel with acetone based thinners without testing first. You can also get a very durable, rubber-like substance anywhere electrical supplies are sold under the label "Liquid Insulation" or similar. Handy for many applications including resurfacing old tripod heads.

H2
05-11-2009, 09:30 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've usually had good luck with the rear caps I've gotten from Adorama. They do tend to wear out with use, I replace mine every 2 to 4 years (depending on use). Just be sure to get the hard plastic screw on type rather than the soft poly push on type.

NaCl(and I too have have had problems with the sigma/pentax 'combo' rear caps)H2O

05-11-2009, 10:09 AM   #5

The Tamron rear caps are quite grabby also.