Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-25-2009, 03:00 PM   #16
Banned

not really, because his right was never in question. and my posts have nothing to do with said right. that is where apsito misunderstood my tone and inquiries.

09-25-2009, 03:07 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
You missed my point. He's basing his "logic", not on his "rights", but on being upset. Nothing too complicated and pretty plain to see IMHO.
09-25-2009, 03:13 PM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
not really, because his right was never in question. and my posts have nothing to do with said right. that is where apsito misunderstood my tone and inquiries.
I responded as I did because other people were trying to help him and you were arguing that he was unreasonably upset.
09-25-2009, 03:19 PM   #19
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by apisto Quote
I responded as I did because other people were trying to help him and you were arguing that he was unreasonably upset.
help him with what? this incident happened a long while ago, and he has already gotten the lens fixed. (or is planning on scamming them to get a new one?) not anything to help with at this point. only offering opinions on the situation. did you actually read the thread? I do think he is unreasonably upset. I dont argue his right to be, just questioning his logic on "only buying 50 dollar lenses or switching to a P&S" because of the situation. which I believe is not simply related to "being upset". since he got a great deal on the lens to begin with. I think hes not thinking it through, considering the lens (regardless of what you think about the prices) is 500 USD from Pentax USA.

would that 180 bucks sting as bad if it weren't 20 bucks less than the cost of the lens? this is indeed a very rare occurrence for any lens much less a limited. so with only the one isolated experience I fail to see the reason why one would consider it so terrible as to think this way.

Last edited by séamuis; 09-25-2009 at 03:28 PM.
09-25-2009, 03:23 PM   #20
Veteran Member

help him with what? this incident happened a long while ago, and he has already gotten the lens fixed. not anything to help with at this point. only offering opinions on the situation. did you actually read the thread? I do think he is unreasonably upset. I dont argue his right to be, just questioning his logic on "only buying 50 dollar lenses or switching to a P&S" because of the situation.
Actually...

QuoteOriginally posted by Chriffer Quote
If this is their utmost reliability I think I'll just get $5 old lenses, or just go to a P&S and live with images that aren't sharp. My new plan is to ignore them until they lose the lens, and then send them the money to send it back unfixed. At that point they will have to replace it.
I still think a good course of action would be find a third party who could possibly repair it for less.
09-25-2009, 03:31 PM   #21
Banned

and he has already gotten the lens fixed. (or is planning on scamming them to get a new one?)
edited while you were typing, as he had already sent the lens in, I actually overlooked this little possible scamming bit.
09-25-2009, 03:58 PM   #22

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wasser Quote
Actually...

I still think a good course of action would be find a third party who could possibly repair it for less.
Yeah it looks like finding someone else is the answer. The waiting for them to lose the thing was a joke. The shipping is gonna start adding up real fast.

I wouldn't mind the $180 price tag for repairs if they were replacing a part or something. If it were a more expensive lens, then it wouldn't like so much to me like I could just buy a new one for the same cost. The DA 40 price did creep up a bunch.

09-25-2009, 04:05 PM   #23
Banned

im not so sure. the usual recommendation is Eric Hendrickson, but I don't know if he even works on modern lenses. he specializes in classic film era repairs. who else is there that will do repair on modern lenses? if you find someone it will be very unlikely that that they specialize in Pentax lenses, and I highly doubt, that they would charge any less in most cases. especially if they do have to replace parts, because they will have to source them from the same Pentax repair center that you would send the lens too. do you know what they will do to the lens? do you know that they won't be replacing any parts? Pentax usually does a decent job of informing one about the specifics of the repair.

QuoteQuote:
Yeah it looks like finding someone else is the answer. The waiting for them to lose the thing was a joke. The shipping is gonna start adding up real fast.

I wouldn't mind the $180 price tag for repairs if they were replacing a part or something. If it were a more expensive lens, then it wouldn't like so much to me like I could just buy a new one for the same cost. The DA 40 price did creep up a bunch.
09-25-2009, 04:34 PM   #24

Original Poster
im not so sure. the usual recommendation is Eric Hendrickson, but I don't know if he even works on modern lenses. he specializes in classic film era repairs. who else is there that will do repair on modern lenses? if you find someone it will be very unlikely that that they specialize in Pentax lenses, and I highly doubt, that they would charge any less in most cases. especially if they do have to replace parts, because they will have to source them from the same Pentax repair center that you would send the lens too. do you know what they will do to the lens? do you know that they won't be replacing any parts? Pentax usually does a decent job of informing one about the specifics of the repair.
Details of Service:
ESTIMATE TO REPAIR AND REALIGN FOCUS HELICAL
ADJUST TO MANUFACTURERS SPECIFICATIONS
GENERAL CHECK AND CLEAN

Seems like purely labor to me.
09-25-2009, 04:49 PM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Chriffer Quote
Details of Service:
ESTIMATE TO REPAIR AND REALIGN FOCUS HELICAL
ADJUST TO MANUFACTURERS SPECIFICATIONS
GENERAL CHECK AND CLEAN

Seems like purely labor to me.
I presume the quote is from Pentax.
BTW, Eric is very good with answering inquiries by email. At least in my experience. Probably helps if you email him a photo and ask if he can actually fix it.
09-25-2009, 04:58 PM   #26
Veteran Member

If Eric can fix M40/2.8... he should be able to do DA 40!

Well I really have no clue... but try email him and give it a shot
09-25-2009, 06:17 PM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

help him with what? this incident happened a long while ago, and he has already gotten the lens fixed. (or is planning on scamming them to get a new one?) not anything to help with at this point. only offering opinions on the situation. did you actually read the thread? I do think he is unreasonably upset. I dont argue his right to be, just questioning his logic on "only buying 50 dollar lenses or switching to a P&S" because of the situation. which I believe is not simply related to "being upset". since he got a great deal on the lens to begin with. I think hes not thinking it through, considering the lens (regardless of what you think about the prices) is 500 USD from Pentax USA.

would that 180 bucks sting as bad if it weren't 20 bucks less than the cost of the lens? this is indeed a very rare occurrence for any lens much less a limited. so with only the one isolated experience I fail to see the reason why one would consider it so terrible as to think this way.
Are you serious? Just because I disagree with you does not mean I did not read the thread.

My point was, firstly, there is no need to be confrontational. Secondly, the dude's lens just broke so it is okay to let him vent -- he doesn't need to be shouted down. Obviously we disagree on the answer to these points.

To Chriffer and everyone -- I apologize for taking this thread off topic. I will not do it anymore.
09-25-2009, 06:22 PM   #28

Um... so... fix it yourself? If it just needs to be screwed back together, that's not hard. Worst case you break it and you buy a new one for $20 more than the repair?

Or, if that doesn't make you happy, you can always give it to me, and I'll try to fix it!

Just post it off to:

cwm9
PO Box 51042
Eleele, HI 96705

... and I promise you'll never have to think about it again!