Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-11-2009, 10:53 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
So my DA40 fell apart

I was on a trip carrying just my K100D and DA40 to minimize weight. I noticed something wrong with the auto focus beyond short range shots. After playing with manual focusing, making sure my diopter adjustment didn't get bumped, and reconnecting the lens, I noticed that the focus ring wouldn't turn past the 0.6m marking. At some point I noticed the whole glass section of the lens that that should move back after forth with the focus ring was just completely loose.

Am I right in seeing that all Pentax lenses even the Limited series ones have only a 1 year warranty? It looks like I'll have to find a place to repair or I could have some fun dissecting it. I don't think I could keep dust away enough for it to be worth taking it apart. Is there some price I should be expecting to pay for a repair?

I'll end with one of the last couple pictures I took to make this a little less depressing. It came out pretty nicely for taking it while on a moving bike.

05-11-2009, 12:15 PM   #2
Damn Brit

You should contact Pentax, even if it is out of warranty, as long as there are no obvious signs of abuse, they may fix something like this for you.
05-11-2009, 12:25 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Chriffer Quote
I'll end with one of the last couple pictures I took to make this a little less depressing. It came out pretty nicely for taking it while on a moving bike.
Just to add insult to your injury, some dust ended up on your sensor.
05-11-2009, 12:28 PM   #4
axl
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
WOW.
first time I hear that though I read something like that about one of the FA ltds.
Man I feel sorry for you.
But I wish you good luck, just send it to Pentax, they'll take care of it...

BR

05-11-2009, 12:38 PM   #5
Veteran Member

thats too bad...
well at least it's the DA40 which is relatively cheap.

I would go nuts if this would happen to the 31mm . knock wood.
spit spit spit
09-25-2009, 01:41 PM   #6

Original Poster
Okay here's my update. It took me a while to send the thing off for service. I'm not quite sure if I should be angry or just laugh at the stupidity of it all. <begin rant>

Total $180 00 to get it repaired. I paid $200 for the lens. I do love the thing, but really the thing has 2 moving parts. I saw the insides of it because it fell into two peices. How about they screw it back together leave all the dust inside and I'll take my chances on it being aligned.

"The high-grade aluminum construction of the DA Limited series provides the utmost durability and elegant design."

If this is their utmost reliability I think I'll just get $5 old lenses, or just go to a P&S and live with images that aren't sharp. My new plan is to ignore them until they lose the lens, and then send them the money to send it back unfixed. At that point they will have to replace it.

I'm done buying decent lenses for sure. $50 max.
09-25-2009, 01:49 PM   #7
Banned

so one occurrence, has now locked your budget at 50 bucks? no offense but thats a bit ridiculous. good luck with that. its unfortunate what happened, for sure. but I think you are over-reacting and being a bit unrealistic. I am aware that you can indeed get great lenses for 50 bucks or less, but do you really think it will be worthwhile to ignore anything more than 50 bucks because of this?
09-25-2009, 01:54 PM   #8
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sorry for the bad experience.
This is not the norm I have to say.
I don't have the DA 40, but I do have a number of other DAs which have been flawless.
This doesn't help you, but perhaps it may tell you that the lenses should be able to go on working well for the long term.

09-25-2009, 01:57 PM   #9

It can be fixed! The same thing happened to my 77mm limited and Pentax was able to repair it. If your warranty is up you can try guys like Eric Hendrickson (pentaxs.com)
09-25-2009, 02:22 PM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by touchmyichi Quote
It can be fixed! The same thing happened to my 77mm limited and Pentax was able to repair it. If your warranty is up you can try guys like Eric Hendrickson (pentaxs.com)
I know it can be fixed, the whole rant started when I got the quote to fix it. $180 to fix a lens I got for $200. That's my main problem.
09-25-2009, 02:32 PM   #11
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Chriffer Quote
I know it can be fixed, the whole rant started when I got the quote to fix it. $180 to fix a lens I got for $200. That's my main problem.
so because you got a deal on the lens, it is no good? so if you paid the 499.99 that Pentax USA is selling the lens for, the measly 180 would be ok? I don't really understand your logic.
09-25-2009, 02:42 PM   #12
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
so because you got a deal on the lens, it is no good? so if you paid the 499.99 that Pentax USA is selling the lens for, the measly 180 would be ok? I don't really understand your logic.
Give the guy a break. His lens broke and he has to pay a lot of money to get it fixed, and he is upset.

It is easy to say those are the breaks, or this is an anomaly when it happens to someone else.

I would be a little miffed as well. Whatever the warranty period is, I expect lenses to last a long time.
09-25-2009, 02:45 PM   #13

OMG, that lens is like a very durable. almost like a brick. cant believe it will break
09-25-2009, 02:45 PM   #14
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by apisto Quote
Give the guy a break. His lens broke and he has to pay a lot of money to get it fixed, and he is upset.
give him a break? I said I feel bad for the guy, it is a truly crappy situation. I needn't give anyone a "break". he has every right to be upset, no question and im not badgering him about that right. im simply trying to figure out his logic on how he came to the decisions that he has in light of the situation.
09-25-2009, 02:52 PM   #15
Veteran Member

It'd be interesting to see what difference there may be in a third party doing the repair, as suggested my touchmyichi.

QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
give him a break? I said I feel bad for the guy, it is a truly crappy situation. I needn't give anyone a "break". he has every right to be upset, no question and im not badgering him about that right. im simply trying to figure out his logic on how he came to the decisions that he has in light of the situation.
Looks like you answered your own question.